Overland Journal Project Land Rover Discovery 4 (LR4)

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I completely understand what you're saying and agree to a large extent. But it's old hat - you can get 95% of anywhere on 32s with a good driver in anything from a Suzuki Samurai to a LR4.

It seems the LR3/LR4 is just as well suited to 35s as any other modern SUV (Land Cruiser, Xterra, etc) and they do fit with a coil conversion and extra lift. I haven't heard of chronic CV/axle failures either.

Cost definitely increases exponentially (and quickly) so you or I may deem 35s of little return but others may see it differently. If I had one I'd probably be figuring out how to fit 285/75R18s on it. Love that size.

Cheers

lwg

I think 33's are a good option for those wanting bigger tires. I imagine the traction control and various drive modes are saving many a vehicle from poorly qualified drivers now. We didn't have that luxury with D2's and older and it showed!

Sent from my Toaster

Discovery Parts Germany 17" Wheel

I have a 17" project going on my 08 LR3 for the exact reason Jwestpro discussed. I have one of the wheels and plan to start fitting this week and next. Check out my build thread if you are interested in my success/failure rate and I'll surely post my findings.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/154600-Project-Victory_Overland-08-LR3-Build-Thread!?highlight=Victory_overland

17" wheel and rubber is where it's at and IMO the best set up for a Disco3. I don't want big, I want taller sidewall and pizza cutters for mud only tire set up that I can air down a bit more with no wheel damage. The 17" options are virtually endless so I'm hoping I'll be successful with an affordable option for all.

image.jpg

This is the Discovery-Parts Disco 3 and the set up I'm going for.

image.jpeg

Arent those the same wheels sold by Lucky 8 here in the US?

Not sure. Last time I hit up Lucky 8 the response was the wheels didn't work out from their manufacturer or supplier. Maybe they will pipe in and let us know. I contacted Peter at Disco-Parts overseas and he was extremely helpful and shipped the wheel same day.

I do know the wheel maker is Aussie based for the wheel I have here.

17 X 8 wheel.

DanR

Graphic

Scott Brady, do you recall where you guys got that map bar graphic from? I would love to get one for my truck!

Last edited:

A.J.M

Explorer
Passed this car on I15 North about 10am on Saturday. Between mile posts 100-124 you were lurking close in the rear mirror.

Looks good in the flesh. Was a nice surprise heading from Vegas to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and seeing this on the road.

Scott Brady

Founder
Passed this car on I15 North about 10am on Saturday. Between mile posts 100-124 you were lurking close in the rear mirror.

Looks good in the flesh. Was a nice surprise heading from Vegas to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and seeing this on the road.

Nice! It is owned by Land Rover Las Vegas/Reno now. Great people.

A.J.M

Explorer
You gave them it back?

Shame but It was pretty cool to see it out and about.

Do you a final list and round up of what got done to it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven