Overland The Third. ARB WJ inside!

Lecoq

Explorer
I went camping with some friends Friday and Saturday night in Kananaskis about 1.5 hours south west of Calgary. It was a chance to test out the equipment and see what changes need to be made before we go on longer trips.

Some pictures we took.

Awning installed before departure:

Draining water from the awning

Janseman's 4th Gen 4Runner

Lower Kananaskis lake

Upper Kananaskis lake

Lecoq

Explorer
It was actually mounted to L brackets to the Thule Crossbars. Unfortunately I didn't secure it properly and it fell off one of the brackets as I was folding it back in Sunday morning. I'm looking at a stronger mounting option at this point and will post pictures soon.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Nice video and cool pics! glad you haven't traded this truck in for something else yet lol

How do you like the tires/tire-size? I'm always looking for the next tire/tire-size. I keep waffling between the 265/75/16 or 255/75/17. Tires will either be BFG ATs or BFG KM/2s. I do know that I don't want to go bigger than 32" with the stock gearing - besides I've found the 32" to be more than enough to get me through just about anything. Oh and what're the wheels and tire size on that Tacoma?

Lecoq

Explorer
I'm also surprised I still have this Jeep. :elkgrin:

What else am I going to get that has solid axles, coil springs all around, aftermarket support and lots of power at a decent price...

The Tacoma has SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 with 285-70-17 BFG TA/KO load range D.

I'm really happy with the 255-75-17 tires. I realize now that since I spend most of my time commuting to work and back that a quieter tire would be nice. I wouldn't mind going to a TA/KO in the same size. I'd rather have one set of all around tires than a dedicated set of summer and winters. They both have their advantage but I'm mainly looking at cost.

stioc

Expedition Leader
What else am I going to get that has solid axles, coil springs all around, aftermarket support and lots of power at a decent price...

As much as I hate to admit this you may be right about all those things :mixed-smiley-030:

Looks like you're usually solo on your adventures but how would you compare the inside room of the R50 vs. 4Runner vs. WJ?

I love my BFG AT KOs after trying out the Duratracs- except I went for too skinny a tire than I should have. However, the KOs don't usually come with the snow rating (only certain sizes do) in case you're considering them for winter tires. How do find the KMs in the rain or wet streets? I heard from someone who switched to KM2s saying the KMs felt scary in the rain due to no siping?

Lecoq

Explorer
The interior of the WJ is pretty similar in size to to R50. The 4Runner has a bit more room but the wheel wells are sticking out and up further. I haven't tried sleeping in the other truck, only the WJ.

As for the tires, the KM seems to handle it's own on wet streets and heavy rain. I haven't had any issues even driving on a soaked highway for a few hours. Apart from being loud and turning to hockey pucks in cold weather they've been pretty good so far. They seem far more resistant to rock abrasion than the Duratracs I had on the 4Runner.

Lecoq

Explorer
Kind of an unplanned update.

I was given the opportunity to test out some new tires. I installed a set of new General Grabber AT2 on my stock wheels (with the tire sensors I really missed).

Size is 265-70-17 in load range E. They're also rated for severe winter conditions.

Pretty happy with the noise level...or lack of noise. I can't believe how quiet these tires are compared to my BFG KM. Night and day. I'll give them some time before I review them and put them through some actual trail driving and long gravel roads.

I still have the JKR wheels and tires that I may or may not keep depending on the capability of the AT2. Ideally I will run only one set to minimize cost and storage space.

Lecoq

Explorer
Went on a small day trip to Bar U ranch yesterday. Pretty nice place. Lots of history for those interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_U_Ranch

New tires were nice and quiet. The only complain I would have at this point is how stiff they are. It's most likely due to them being load range E.

I took some pictures of early overland vehicles as well.

I had some spare Ricochet yellow film so I decided to install it on the lower portion of the headlights where the signals and park lights are.

jpat30

Adventurer
Man your WJ just gets better looking all the time:Wow1:. Would also love to hear your thoughts on those AT2; I currently run BFG KM2 on mine and hate them. They are loud and can be downright scary in the rain. Awesome offroad though. Anyway I am leaning toward swapping them out for Generals when I put new tires on here in a month or so.

Lecoq

Explorer
Haven't had a chance to take the AT2 offroad yet. Not too sure how they'll perform. I'm hoping they are equal to the BFG TA/KO I had on both the R50 and 4Runner. If they are I'll be really happy.

x2, looks perfect. Just don't over do it now :coffee:

Got a few things on the way but I'll try to pace myself. :rappel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp