Overland XJ Build. Not my first Rodeo.....(video included)

Overland History

Wanderluster
Oh, and if some of you guys don't already follow me on Instagram, I've got a couple of pics up of the Sleep Platform progress that I made this past weekend. :D

Instagram: @overland_xj

Overland History

Wanderluster
A couple pics of the Sleep Platform thus far.

I have a wheelin trip this weekend, and went camping this past weekend, but this was my progress over the 3-day Labor Day weekend.

It's very difficult to do a write-up on something that's such a prototype with a ton of different measurements, but I will have some detailed pics when I'm done so that anybody interested can try to mimic the build.

I've yet to cut out and hinge the compartment doors for the tool storage and battery box/fuse panel cubby.

I'm still waiting on my 2 Burner Stove, Sink, and also my heavy duty drawer slides to come in, then I'll be able to finish the tailgate area.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Overland History

Wanderluster
Had a great time at the VA4WDA Annual Trail ride this past weekend at Oak Ridge Estate in Nelson County, VA.(The same place that Camp Jeep was held for many years.)

A few pics from the 3 day weekend....

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    657.7 KB · Views: 65

Overland History

Wanderluster
Also, I need to make yet ANOTHER amendment to the On-Board Hot Water shower build. :)

After being out on the trails over 2 days, getting the jeep nice and hot and the tank sloshing around, I realized that the system has yet another flaw. Unfortunately with a prototype system, it takes real field testing to make it perform correctly! ;)

I mentioned previously that the hot water line needs to be cracked open at all times to prevent pressure build up in that line from residual water. Well, that still rings true, since I don't have some kind of pressure relief valve built into the system.

What I found over the weekend, is that the high pressure in the "hot water" line and the low pressure in the "cold water" line, will actually draw water out of the tank, and past the water pump, when the system isn't being used. I lost about 8gals of water per day due to the issue. Closing the hot water valve would create a pressure build up, which is what I want to avoid.

I figured out that the only solution would be to install a "ball valve" into the fresh water line between the tank and the water pump, that way it wouldn't draw water out of the tank at all. These are the parts I picked up at Lowe's to fix the simple problem:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

s.mcdaniel

Just read through all 37 pages fascinating work. Its great to see fellow Virginians out exploring these beautiful areas. Keep up the good work.

Overland History

Wanderluster
Some parts arrived that are getting installed just before Overland Expo East this coming weekend! :D

I picked up some new Bilstein 5100's, new Rubicon Express 3.5" leaf packs to lhelp level out the XJ due to the weight of the sleep platform and accessories. I also finally received my 36" 500lb capacity drawer slides for the 2 Burner Stove and Sink pull out drawer. I'm working on that as I type. The new shocks and springs have already been installed. ;)

Hoping to have a lot of this work done before the Expo!

IMG_5561.jpg

HercDriver

Adventurer
You'll get about 4" off those RE leafs. My RE leafs settled at about 4.5" and they're labeled as 3.5".

Some parts arrived that are getting installed just before Overland Expo East this coming weekend! :D

I picked up some new Bilstein 5100's, new Rubicon Express 3.5" leaf packs to lhelp level out the XJ due to the weight of the sleep platform and accessories. I also finally received my 36" 500lb capacity drawer slides for the 2 Burner Stove and Sink pull out drawer. I'm working on that as I type. The new shocks and springs have already been installed. ;)

Hoping to have a lot of this work done before the Expo!

View attachment 369235

Overland History

Wanderluster
You'll get about 4" off those RE leafs. My RE leafs settled at about 4.5" and they're labeled as 3.5".

You're right, I'm sitting close to 4.25" in the rear right now, even with the platform back there!

I'm hoping they'll settle in right around 3.75in, as I think XJ's look aesthetiyically better when they're a hair higher in the rear. ;)

Overland History

Wanderluster
I've got the Drawer Refrigerator, Sink and Coleman Grill Stove installed on my drawer slides. :D

It's unlikely that I'll have the platform completed before leaving on Wednesday for Overland Expo, but I'm damn sure gonna try!! :D

IMG_5583.jpg

Overland History

Wanderluster
I got pretty far on the platform, but unfortunately it's not complete. I still need to cut out and hinge the cubbies for tool storage, and also my Aux Battery and fuse panel cubbie. I'm also doing two very small cubbies on the left side of the refrigerator and right side of the Stove/Sink Drawer. I'm installing a bottle opener as a handle on the drawer tomorrow. :D

Oh, and incase you're wondering, the hole in the drawer is so that I can hook up the propane canister to the stove. ;)

I'm leaving for Overland Expo tomorrow, so come say hi if you see my rig! :)

IMG_5588.jpg

jswift716

Adventurer
I got pretty far on the platform, but unfortunately it's not complete. I still need to cut out and hinge the cubbies for tool storage, and also my Aux Battery and fuse panel cubbie. I'm also doing two very small cubbies on the left side of the refrigerator and right side of the Stove/Sink Drawer. I'm installing a bottle opener as a handle on the drawer tomorrow. :D

Oh, and incase you're wondering, the hole in the drawer is so that I can hook up the propane canister to the stove. ;)

I'm leaving for Overland Expo tomorrow, so come say hi if you see my rig! :)

View attachment 369800
Would if I could man, still not back on the road. 3 weeks though. I'm shooting for next year's event

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner

Members online