Post pictures of your Land Rover.

jrose609

Explorer
Here's a few of my DI from this past weekend. It was my first trip out after re-working the suspension and adding the snorkel.

DSC01895.jpg

DSC00128.jpg

What kind of suspension work did you do?

lake_bueller

Observer
What kind of suspension work did you do?

When I bought the truck, it had OME medium duty springs and Bilstein shock. The front springs weren't strong enough for the Safarigard bumper & winch and the rear springs didn't like all the weight that I'd carry in the truck.

I went to OME HD springs on all four corners. The rear also received 1" spacers. All the brake lines were upgraded to stainless steel extended lines. The rear received 2" lowered shock mounts and upper dislocation cones.

In addition to the springs and brake lines, the front also got 2" lowered HD shock towers and DII upper isolators/cones.

Overall, I'm very happy with the performance. It's a little rough on the washboards because of the stiff springs. But it has a ton of flex.

My missing piece is some cranked trailing arms. I'm being somewhat limited in the rear due to the binding of the bushings on the arms.

muskyman

Explorer
When I bought the truck, it had OME medium duty springs and Bilstein shock. The front springs weren't strong enough for the Safarigard bumper & winch and the rear springs didn't like all the weight that I'd carry in the truck.

I went to OME HD springs on all four corners. The rear also received 1" spacers. All the brake lines were upgraded to stainless steel extended lines. The rear received 2" lowered shock mounts and upper dislocation cones.

In addition to the springs and brake lines, the front also got 2" lowered HD shock towers and DII upper isolators/cones.

Overall, I'm very happy with the performance. It's a little rough on the washboards because of the stiff springs. But it has a ton of flex.

My missing piece is some cranked trailing arms. I'm being somewhat limited in the rear due to the binding of the bushings on the arms.

Dude...dump the rear cones and retain those springs

jrose609

Explorer
Dude...dump the rear cones and retain those springs

Thom, whyt don't you like the cones? Not arguing just curious. What about the shock towers? EE has those on their page. Been thinking about a set.

Lake_bueller, truck looks good. Lots of flex. Pretty nice!

muskyman

Explorer
Thom, whyt don't you like the cones? Not arguing just curious. What about the shock towers? EE has those on their page. Been thinking about a set.

Lake_bueller, truck looks good. Lots of flex. Pretty nice!

because when you are heavily loaded the up hill side unloads loses traction and in some cases gets tippy.

The trails that Dennis drives are greasy and off camber alot. That combination makes for less then a ideal combination IMHO.

I am fully retained in the rear and have never found a situation where I felt cones would help. When I first lifted my disco not being retained made the truck drive like sloppy junk and made it oversteer like crazy in slick conditions like deep snow or deep mud. I very quickly retained the rear springs and would never think about going back to cones.

One other place that cones really hurt is when you are climbing slightly off camber.

jrose609

Explorer
because when you are heavily loaded the up hill side unloads loses traction and in some cases gets tippy.

The trails that Dennis drives are greasy and off camber alot. That combination makes for less then a ideal combination IMHO.

I am fully retained in the rear and have never found a situation where I felt cones would help. When I first lifted my disco not being retained made the truck drive like sloppy junk and made it oversteer like crazy in slick conditions like deep snow or deep mud. I very quickly retained the rear springs and would never think about going back to cones.

One other place that cones really hurt is when you are climbing slightly off camber.
Cool. That makes sense.

About the lowered shock mounts, been thinking about putting them on along with EE retainers. Been worried about the stock retainers failing with my lift. Have 3" OME.

muskyman

Explorer
Cool. That makes sense.

About the lowered shock mounts, been thinking about putting them on along with EE retainers. Been worried about the stock retainers failing with my lift. Have 3" OME.

the lowered mounts limit travel because they restrict the length of shock you can fit in there without bottoming the shock under full stuff.

I run raised shock mounts that push the upper mount forward and up so I can fit a longer shock.

The EE retainers work really well, they can be a pain to mount but they handle alot of abuse without any failures...they are a simple product that has stood the test of time for a fair price.

lake_bueller

Observer

For me, it was a matter of cost efficiency. The lowered mounts were obtained at a great price. It was cheaper for me to maintain the stock shock length and use the lower mounts.

As with all suspension projects, there is a give and take with the components. Because most of my wheeling isn't extreme crawling, the shock and springs rarely get extended/compressed to their capacity.

Back to the thread...

DSC01943.jpg

glr

Observer
Iceland holiday 2 yrs ago. (red 110)

Pic of my Yard at the beginning of last year.

Attachments

• red110 snow storm2.JPG
    red110 snow storm2.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 189
  • YARD PIC.JPG
    YARD PIC.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 204

alexfm

Explorer
Iceland holiday 2 yrs ago. (red 110)

Pic of my Yard at the beginning of last year.

I hate you, in a very good way. :) Maybe you could send send the 110 Crew cab truck across the pond to me? :)

I'll PM you the address. :D

glr

Observer
Happy to send you a crew cab, i'll pm you my bank details for the required payment :wings: we have 3 on our website.

Attachments

• IMG00854.jpg
    IMG00854.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 70
  • getting there.jpg
    getting there.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 85
  • grey22.jpg
    grey22.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 90

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Happy to send you a crew cab, i'll pm you my bank details for the required payment :wings: we have 3 on our website.

Looks like the paver driveway is coming along nicely @ Daniels. When I was there that area was all still gravel.
Glad to see that Bonatti grey double cab coming together on the galv bulkhead and chassis. Why don't you guys make it lhd now while its so easy ?

glr

Observer
we may do, but daniel is currently working on 4 vehicles for my clients, and 2 for me so he's flat out.

I have a 130 rapier LHD due in with a 4.0V8 and auto trans if you know any takers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater