Scoutkid's van is HERE!!!

r_w

Adventurer
You have set the bar pretty high for your woodworking skills. We are expecting some great things.

r_w

Adventurer

:p

It was a compliment.

Cabinet building for a vehicle is NOT EASY--between the compound curves and trying to not double the weight of the vehicle. Thin and light but still strong is pushing my abilities when square--add curves and I am in trouble.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
a few more pics now that the outsides done........maybe trying to climb a wall or something?
Yes I would suspect this thread did a lot of great PR for UJOINT!:coffeedrink:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
This thing is looking sweet. Maybe you should talk to chris about paying you for his marketing because you are slowly convincing me to go the Ujoint route (slowly? scratch that you did this conversion in a month...).

Don't give him any ideas!!! :) I did hand deliver the parts to Denver, does that count for anything? ;)

Yes indeed! It's been great seeing progress every time I log on.

scoutkid

Van Builder
:p

It was a compliment.

Cabinet building for a vehicle is NOT EASY--between the compound curves and trying to not double the weight of the vehicle. Thin and light but still strong is pushing my abilities when square--add curves and I am in trouble.

I know I know... but the pressure man, the PRESSURE! I can't handle it!!

Oh wait. I have this.

IMG02528-20111001-1610.jpg

Not to mention a whole other grip of fun wood tools :) Doesn't it seem like some jerks just have all the right toys? er, Tools? :sombrero:

a few more pics now that the outsides done........maybe trying to climb a wall or something?

Well, since I hosed up and didn't get my little fancy speedo computer I am going to wait to do anything TOO stupid until I get it this week... trust me, I have been itching ALL DAY to head up into the mountains!!

Don't give him any ideas!!! :) I did hand deliver the parts to Denver, does that count for anything? ;).

Heck yes it does!! Chris is the MAN!

As for a few more pics, some guys spend a LOT of money to get the belly on their rock crawlers anywhere NEAR this flat.

IMG02532-20111001-1628.jpg

Hopefully whatever big exhaust I end up tucks the muffler up just a BIT more, but otherwise, thats like 22" of clearance under the xfer case!

IMG02531-20111001-1627.jpg

scoutkid

Van Builder
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

I think I may have said it before somewhere, but it bears repeating. I don't mess around :)

scoutkid

Van Builder
Fun build ScoutKid... I'm in Denver and learning a lot from this. Hope its ok if I pick your brain.
JP

Absolutely! That's what it is all about. Although, I am not sure that I have the required equipment for said picking. But you can give it your best shot!

arz

Adventurer
Tucked in the back of my garage, I found swivel two seat bases that were in my van when I bought it. Come get them if you want them. I'll demand a kings ransom of 2 cold Coca-Colas (one per base).

scoutkid

Van Builder
Tucked in the back of my garage, I found swivel two seat bases that were in my van when I bought it. Come get them if you want them. I'll demand a kings ransom of 2 cold Coca-Colas (one per base).

This? This makes Scoutkid happy. Scoutkid will gladly provide the requested bounty.

No updates as I am waiting on the Pony Express to ride up any time now with my Speedo corrector! :) Should be here tomorrow. I will post about that.

Meanwhile, don't think SK has been slacking. He has been working on a sweet trade for the Red Scout for a few sweet snow sleds and a few things that go Bang. Good times!

scoutkid

Van Builder
Converting your Van to 4wd? You need one of these. Just buy it from Chris and shut up. Don't sit there and hmm and ha like it did. Just buy it.

IMG02600-20111007-1126.jpg

It converts your speed sensor output into a usable form by your speedo/electronic tach which just HAPPENS to control your vans shifting ability. You are going NOWHERE without it. Today's project was installing said part, the ERA (Electronic Radio Adapter)

You need a few things. You need Power, Ground and to have the gumption to cut your perfectly good speed sensor wire in two, a few butt connectors and some wire.

Install is easy, I used one of these little friends (which I found in a handy thread on this forum in the support equipment section) to get +12V to the ERA. (HEY CHRIS YOU SHOULD SELL THIS AS PART OF YOUR KIT, JUST SAYIN)

IMG02604-20111007-1418.jpg

The instructions say to put it on a +12V key-switch-on circuit. So, I took out my noid and poked around until I found an acceptable receptical.

IMG02607-20111007-2129.jpg

I put and eyelet on the ground wire and found a nice screw to mount it to. Then I hooked up a few feet of wire to the blue and white leads (these go to the speed sensor) and ran them under the footwell tray. The little ERA itself looks like it will hide perfectly out of the way once the kickpanel facia is put back in place. In this pic the cover is off because I still haven't dialed the dip switches in just perfect. I will also loom the power and ground wires and zip tie them up and out of the way.

IMG02609-20111007-2129.jpg

I managed to take zero pictures of the speed sensor connections, mostly because every time I cut into a perfectly good factory wire I start sweating bullets and feeling like Dani Glover in Leathal Weapon II when he is sitting on the can that has been wired with explosives and one wrong snip will send him to the moon.

I did however, take a picture of the loomed sensor wires exiting the footwell through a drain hole which I stuck a rubber grommet in. I am sure this picture is helpful to exactly noone.

IMG02605-20111007-1718.jpg

Remember this little guy?

IMG02077-20110821-1110.jpg

Well he and this little guy used to be a team, and go somewhere and do something.

IMG02603-20111007-1205.jpg

What they did or where they went I have no idea. The just sort of ended under the drivers side footwell cover. Along with ALL this mess.

IMG02602-20111007-1205.jpg

My general impression is that all of these things did absolutely nothing useful at all. I was glad to be rid of it!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater