Sequoia lifted w/tires and wheels!

stom_m3

Observer
The next morning we started to make our way deeper into Death Valley.

Found a nice camp spot on Hunter Mountain. My boy took his Traxxas Slash 4WD RC car and made a little race track.

Steaks over the grill. Yummm.

The next morning, site seeing going to TeaKettle Junction.

The park rangers are sooo lucky. H1 Hummers!

On our way into Titus Canyon. Easy road but worth it to see.

Last edited:

stom_m3

Observer
Great thread! Just read the whole thing and got super excited about the 2013 sequoia Platnium we just bought for my wife. Ours has a ride height adjustment control in the cab and a suspension softness control as well? Have not done any reading on these or played with them yet, anyone out there have info on these gadgets.
Love the way your sequoia looks and performs! What size rims did you get? Ours has 20" on there stock and I am looking to put some good AT tires on and may want to change the rims.
Here is ours (hers lol)
View attachment 259244View attachment 259243

Rock-Eater. Thanks. The Sequoia has worked well for me. The main limitations are, 1. not a world wide distributed vehicle (limited aftermarket support), 2. Independent front and rear suspension. There were a couple of times where more articulation would have resulted in more grip and less drama. That said, the beast of an engine and low gearing really come in handy.

The platinum comes with air bags in the rear suspension. If you lift the front, you will be limited on how much you can lift it in the rear with the height sensor. I've seen people raise the platinum around 1.3" by just sliding the sensor down the adjustment arm. Generally anything more than that you will run into rear shock top out issues (which you can read about in this thread, hence the custom rear shocks). You can also ditch the airbags and get a standard coil setup if you prefer that. Just depends on how much work you want to do.

As for the tires, I went to 18" rims to get more sidewall. The largest tire you can fit in the spare wheel well is about 34" max. My Toyo MT 275/70/18's are 33.6" when new per Toyo's website. I wanted to make sure I could fit a full size spare of the same tire in the spare well.

Toyo makes an Open Country AT II "Extreme" in a 295/60/20 @ 33.9" and 295/55/20 @ 32.8". Both should fit without rubbing issues but you may want to try one first. Be sure to get the "Extreme" version which are the E rated tires. That is if you plan on doing any off-roading. Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Nice rig - I'm in Norcal but eyeing some of the eastern side locations for future trips. Nicer temps during the times we can get away which makes the wife happy. All my back country experience as a kid was coastal range stuff primarily. We avoided the Sierras given by the time we could go on a trip they were too hot and dry. Now my issue is that the times we can get away are right on that shoulder month zone where the eastern side offers better weather conditions than anything on the west side.

I sold my J80 and got a soccer mom 2007 Sequoia better space for the family and little nicer ride for the wife who did not like the rough J80 solid axle ride.

Mine is all stock except the BFG Rough Terrain's. Whats your take on the rear locker situation? I found that the lack of a rear locker is the only major thing (not counting the soft target fuel tank) keeping the Sequoia from being as good as the LC in the rocky off camber spots. I won't be building up mine, we don't get out enough to justify the cost and I have the money tied up in other toys. Though some place in the future I could see selling some toys and getting a newer midsized diesel pickup with FWC and doing some upgrades like your front bumper / Winch and suspension tweaks. The keep it looking stock bumper approach is more my style I like your winch set up.

How did your Son like Bodie? Thats one trip on my list with the kids.

stom_m3

Observer
Nice rig - I'm in Norcal but eyeing some of the eastern side locations for future trips. Nicer temps during the times we can get away which makes the wife happy. All my back country experience as a kid was coastal range stuff primarily. We avoided the Sierras given by the time we could go on a trip they were too hot and dry. Now my issue is that the times we can get away are right on that shoulder month zone where the eastern side offers better weather conditions than anything on the west side.

I sold my J80 and got a soccer mom 2007 Sequoia better space for the family and little nicer ride for the wife who did not like the rough J80 solid axle ride.

Mine is all stock except the BFG Rough Terrain's. Whats your take on the rear locker situation? I found that the lack of a rear locker is the only major thing (not counting the soft target fuel tank) keeping the Sequoia from being as good as the LC in the rocky off camber spots. I won't be building up mine, we don't get out enough to justify the cost and I have the money tied up in other toys. Though some place in the future I could see selling some toys and getting a newer midsized diesel pickup with FWC and doing some upgrades like your front bumper / Winch and suspension tweaks. The keep it looking stock bumper approach is more my style I like your winch set up.

How did your Son like Bodie? Thats one trip on my list with the kids.

Calicamper - Would love to get a rear locker but the rear is a 10" vs. the Tundra 10.5". ARB does make a 8.5" air locker for the front though I don't plan on going there. I typically run with all the traction nannies "off" to be sure I don't smoke my brakes or reduce engine power. But, if I get into a difficult or slippery situation, I turn on anti slip which does a pretty good job of getting up whatever is the issue. In fact, I just got back from mammoth and had difficulties getting up a snowy, muddy, and rutted out section. I kicked in the electrical gadgets and it got me to the top without problems.

As for Bodie, it's a good stop. Be sure to go the back way and start at Bridgeport. There are a lot of mines and other abandoned stuff along the way. Do a little research before you go. There are a lot of side trails that take you to some good overlooks and exploration type spots. When leaving Bodie, exit the side roads south and you can go 4 wheeling up the backside of Bodie. Nothing too major but fun. Bodie is really just a small part of the expanse area of Inyo though. Be sure to explore the side roads if you get the chance. I use an iPad with Motion GPS as my guide. Works well.

stom_m3

Observer
What BajaRack is that? Is it mounted to the stock cross bars?

I got the Baja Rack Mule on the stock cross bars. I had custom "L" brackets made (which would take place of the cross bars) to lower the rack closer to the roof line but even on the stock cross bars, the clearance from rack to roof was only a little over an inch. The roof line actually bows up. Using the "L" brackets made the rack sit directly on the roof. That said, the Mule is enough to hold my gas tanks, recovery tracks, and wood. The Mega Mule would have covered the complete roof up to the sunroof area. Being that I wasn't planning on leaving the rack on for daily drive, I got the smaller version.

Also, let me give props to the Baja Rack. Solid and well made rack. My friend had the Rola rack with the middle extension. The Rola rack bows significantly in the middle (enough to hit the roof), rusts instantaneously, moves around on the cross bars, and the mount rack bolts are too long and can damage what you are carrying in your rack. I didn't have any of those issues with the Baja Rack. It cost a little more but I didn't have a single issue with it. If I had more stuff to carry, I would have gotten an extra cross bar with the Mega Mule. Great rack! No remorse in getting it.

Bandit9

Observer
Hey is that the MotionX app you are using with the ipad? With the "terrain" maps?

I just downloaded it yesterday and I haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

stom_m3

Observer
Hey is that the MotionX app you are using with the ipad? With the "terrain" maps?

I just downloaded it yesterday and I haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

The MotionX app is very well done. You need to purchase the in app extension, I believe for $5. It allows you to download alternative map sources (google search MotionX map download for details on how to). I mate it with a Dual GPS puck which also has it's own app. For maps, I use google hybrid maps. Typically, I will download 7-14 zoom over the complete route, for example, San Diego to Mammoth. And then I download 15-17 (sometimes 18 zoom) for all areas which I need more detail, for example, trail around Bodie. The maps can be large and it will take a few days to download a decent size area so plan early. I also enter all the respective way points necessary (funtreks.com has a bunch of California downloadable way points pre-programmed)

The app works flawlessly once it's mated with the GPS puck. Sometimes mating it with the puck can be a bit of a chore though. I try and leave the puck and app running even when I exit the vehicle to say explore a mine or abandon building. I'll even put it under my seat to leave the app running but keep it away from curious eyes. If I shut it down, the ipad has a difficult time re-acquiring the puck and I'll need to reboot a few times to get it to discover properly. So far, I believe, the easiest sequence is to shut everything down. Turn on ipad, start Dual app on ipad, turn on puck, let Blutooth acquire, and then open the Motion X app. Your results may vary. Let me know if you have any questions.

Bandit9

Observer
Wow! Thanks for all the info. I was wondering which level of zoom/detail to use to download the maps. You answered it. I was planning on just seeing how the built in GPS receiver works first before I messed with the Dual thingy. I've read that the built in GPS receiver works really well on the iPadII. I need to pick up that slick mount and holder you have. Your pics are awesome.

I'm on TundraSolutions and have seen your thread there. I'm looking at the Sequoia, LC 100, and 4th Gen 4runner to replace my Tundra. I need something to sleep in and still be very off road capable. Tundra is too big. I really want the Sequoia, but I'm leaning towards a 4runner due to it being smaller for the gnarly stuff. By far your Sequoia is the sexiest I've seen and makes me want one!!!!!

stom_m3

Observer
Wow! Thanks for all the info. I was wondering which level of zoom/detail to use to download the maps. You answered it. I was planning on just seeing how the built in GPS receiver works first before I messed with the Dual thingy. I've read that the built in GPS receiver works really well on the iPadII. I need to pick up that slick mount and holder you have. Your pics are awesome.

I'm on TundraSolutions and have seen your thread there. I'm looking at the Sequoia, LC 100, and 4th Gen 4runner to replace my Tundra. I need something to sleep in and still be very off road capable. Tundra is too big. I really want the Sequoia, but I'm leaning towards a 4runner due to it being smaller for the gnarly stuff. By far your Sequoia is the sexiest I've seen and makes me want one!!!!!

I bought the wi-fi only iPad which is why I need the GPS puck. I should have bought the cellular version which has stand alone GPS capability for $130 more.

Good luck on your next rig. The 4runners are awesome. I had an '02 4runner previously. The new 4runners are fairly large though I will say that the extra room in the Sequoia is nice. Makes for sleeping 2 in the back easy. The 4runner might be a little cramped for sleeping depending on how tall you are.

Bandit9

Observer
Is this the Mount you have for your iPad??? Can you compare it to the cup holder mount you also have? Which one are you currently using? Thanks bro!

RAM Pod I Universal No-Drill™ Vehicle Mount with Universal X-Grip® III Holder for Large Tablets $118.72

The RAM-B-316-1-UN9 consists of the RAM POD I universal No-Drill® vehicle base, 18” rigid aluminum rod, socket system and universal X-Grip® III holder. The base of the mount connects to your seat rail without any drilling necessary. The 18" rigid aluminum rod can be bent to position your device to its optimum viewing location. The included X-Grip® III holder has a clean and clever four leg design that sports great holding power without hiding your tablet behind foam pads and plastic. The spring loaded X-Grip® III holder expands and contracts, allowing for a perfect custom fit of your 10" Tablet.
Material:

Powder Coated Marine Grade Aluminum, Marine Grade Stainless Steel Components & High Strength Composite

Here is the link in case others want to check it out: http://www.rammount.com/products/xgrip/10tablet

Bandit9

Observer
Oh yeah, I'm sending you a PM about your opinion on 4runners vs Sequoia, I didn't want to hi jack your thread. Your Sequoia deserves better than that.

CYK

Adventurer
Best thread I've seen on the Sequoia.

Sequoia is made in the USA. 4Runner is manufactured in Japan curiously enough, though both are North America brands.

I just wish the Sequoia could fit bigger tires. 275s are bicycle sized. Functionally, I'm sure it's fine, but what turns me off most is the lack of a strong aftermarket ecosystem. The Land Cruiser 200 is getting there, but nothing to the levels of Tacoma/4Runner and won't ever due to low volume sales in the US.

You're a rare breed. People who buy the Sequoia cross-shop with the Yukon/Tahoe which make ideal boat towers and mall crawlers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad