Skersfan's New Shuttle Pod Trailer Build...

wikid

Adventurer
Pictures from Bob's voyage and the link to the rest
maidenvoyageset015.jpg

maidenvoyageset018.jpg

maidenvoyageset001.jpg

maidenvoyageset002.jpg

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l597/Skersfan/Trailers first trip/

bob

Adventurer
Possible changes to axle.

Just got off the phone with Phil Duckworth of Dexter Axles. The military is testing their new air ride torflex axle at the Aberdeen proving grounds as we speak.

Dexter and another company provide axles to the US Military for their trailers. All Military trailers are being changed to use this type of axle and have been using for awhile

I will know soon if they have one that will work on our off road platform, normally the new air ride is designed for heavier weight, but they will make every effort to see if it can be done.

When I owned Pro Trac trailers we were the first to use the Torflex axles on an off road trailer, Holiday Rambler and Air Stream were the only standard trailers using them. That was nearly 30 years ago.

I am very excited about the possibility of bringing a new revoloutionary axle to off the road world.

bob

Adventurer
It is an easy fix, not one that I am concerned about on this trailer. The next trailer will have the vent and fill at about 3.5 feet above the tank, the only way it would do it then is if it turned over. Currently it is just a little over a foot above the tanks. Not a problem but thanks for your idea and most likely will fix this one that way.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Live action pix look great Bob...any plan for a "wind gust" tie down on the back door?

Now you have me debating to just finish the inside, remove the RTT and make a "pop up" room off the back...

Thanks

Pat

Tacovendor

Explorer
Bob Thanks for your attendance at my get together. Your trailer really was nice and I can see your attention to detail. I haven't seen anything like it and can't wait to see the production model! Now get out there and enjoy it!

Blown03HD

I would have no problem camping with this amazing trailer! However, my wife will not go camping without all the amenties so I had to get a 24 ft motorhome. I tow my Rubicon behind it but that gets expensive filling the gas tank and it won't go where I want to take it and I have to always drive the Jeep back to the motorhome.

I would love a trailer like this behind my rubicon but I was thinking... What is the possibility of turning the kitchen around to face the interior and adding a pop up top or a tent like on the Earthroamer Jeep. I know the expo trailer thread is kinda this idea but they still have an exterior kitchen.

I have never seen a small real off-road trailer with an interior kitchen. What you think Bob? To heavy? To stupid? To expensive?

bob

Adventurer
inside kitchen

It could be done, but the Mrs, is not going to like crawling around on her knees to do the cooking and clean up is my guess.

The problem we have is making the trailer look functional, in proportion and appealing. I also have to consider height, width and length. Making it tall enough to stand in makes the base width too wide to be an off road trailer, and it would also have to be a lot longer, and again, the off road question raises its ugly head.

I have thought about this trailer to try and get the best size possible for use on most trails that people want to drive.

bob

Adventurer
In honesty that will take some thought, I get the drift and could be possible. I have a friend that has a Westy, I will look at the mechanics of it and try to find pricing.

I am trying to bring this trailer on line fully loaded at a very reasonable price compared to the others on the market. I know there are some out there that only want the very best, I understand the concept but the vast majority can not afford that level. I want to make the best trailer I can that people can afford. That is not short changing anyone, just think there is a limit that I do not want to go over on price. Anytime you buy something you can not build it raises the price.

I want to keep this well below 20K mark, and I mean fully loaded. My goal since starting it has been to hit the market at 17.500.00 with every option I have listed. The new axle may make that a problem, not sure.

But as stated I will take a look at it this coming weekend to see if I think I can do it. I am always up for a challenge, and I think that would be one.

bob

Adventurer
I am still waiting to hear from them as to whether they have one that can be used. I will check on that when I talk to them again though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven