TerraLiner:12 m Globally Mobile Beach House/Class-A Crossover w 6x6 Hybrid Drivetrain

thjakits

Adventurer
Wow!!!

Getting a little WAY of the track, aren't we!!
1500 hp turbines, 250hp x6 for what? Powering a 30 ton combined unit?

You certainly can do that, but Miss EFFICIENCY will long be gone by then!

Just to come back to some basic road logic:

I don't know if it still exists, but at some time there was regulation that required trucks to have a minimum of 6 or 7 hp per ton of MGW - meaning, that a if you wanted to pull 40 tons all-up weight you needed to have 240hp (or 280hp, don't remember the exact hp), to be allowed to pull the rig.
....and that meant, you where going up the hill at 10-15 km/hr MAX!!
[And for those of us that had a 400 hp rig, it meant to jump on the brakes like mad UPHILL, when we ran into one of those Romanian MAN-copies pulling 42 tons with their wasted 280hp engines at 5-10km/h uphill, where we would haul *** at 100km/h]
Anyway - this was meant to ensure, that a truck would not tackle a hill without enough power even in the lowest gear.

At the end you WILL learn, that you don't need that much power to move with Terraliner...

I suggest you let the ENGINEERS do the math for you, approaching your powerneeds from the NEGATIVE side!

Assemble your worst case scenario for BRAKING - 35 tons all up, steepest incline you want to brake ELECTRICALLY - via the drive-motors.
THIS will give you the GENERATOR size the motors will have to be to hold the rig at speed (and not let it run away) - you up the power a little and still can brake at the worst case scenario or leave it at that and use the friction brakes for the extreme extra.....
[BTW - do NOT use the TELMA brakes in Terraliner!! ....and certainly not 3 of them! It is hard enough to train and hammer the facts into the brain of a truck driver - don't know about recent Telmas, but at my time you had to stay OFF them for AT LEAST 3 min before you stopped and maintain a minimum speed - I think it was 15 km/h....to cool them down, or risk burning the whole truck - I saw quite a few of them - burning! Also, WHY 3 of them if ONE can stop a 42 ton rig?? Also, WHY a Telma if you already use e-motors to re-gen? If you have full batteries you need to burn electric energy, no matter if you get them from a Telma - getting a Iron disc to glow red/yellow hot - or your e-motor/generator, at least here you can pump the juice into a controlled heat -exchanger. IF you feel the need for a retarder, use a HYDRAULIC retarder, VOITH is one.....this one can stand alone - your newest pet company, MAN, integrates them into the drive transmission - no go for the Serial-hybrid...]

Back to the ENGINEERS: Once they have the e-motor/generator size needed for BRAKING, you will quickly see, that this will be MORE than enough for driving needs! Generally your braking performance needs are way bigger than your acceleration/drive needs....

Generally you will NOT get to 100km/h in 110 meters, but you need to brake to 0 from 100km/h in that distance. [Legal stuff]
Now, I don't say you need to be able to do that with e-brake only, most likely that would need e-motors nearly the size of the whole truck - but then a Telma or Voith will also NOT stop you in 110m alone - you will need friction brakes for that to work.
I have NO idea about brake certification on new vehicles. If you have some fail-safe system in your e-motor/generator brake system you might get away with a much smaller (and therefor lighter) friction brake system - as long as you can STOP the machine within legal requirements.

Besides retarders, these days you still use/can use exhaust brakes (in Europe the JAKE brakes are pretty much non-existent), to maintain downhill speeds.
This works on nearly all incline grades - the steeper the grade, the slower you go!! Obviously for the Serial hybrid this is not going to work....
However, it works to provide an idea for the ENGINEERS to figure out HOW MUCH braking ability you want from your e-motor/generator installation.
Personally I would go to the maximum, that is physically possible - at some point the e-motor/generator installation just becomes to big an/or heavy.
In any case - it will be WAY bigger than you need for DRIVE purposes.
[As usually, EVEN if you could maintain a 100 km/h downhill run, you most likely will be stuck behind slower traffic, so you could just accept the fact and design for the slower downhill speeds - which you will see on the same passes you won't be physically able to maintain a high uphill speed - see further down....]

[IF you can trust Wrightspeed data, their 500 hp drive pack can produce 1000 hp re-gen power - so, if true you are right there)

My wild guess is a combined brake power of around 700-800hp. Now reduce the DRIVE -power levels to around 480-500 hp max for the 35-ton max rig and you will be going faster than anything else on the road (....or actually - you will be STUCK behind slower traffic most of the time....)
[I know 26 tons max + 5.5 tons on the trailer - ....I remember when the target weight was 16-18 tons - ....just giving a little space for "spec creep"]

BIO - you need to get a TRUCK Engineer on board and run your numbers.
I don't have the time to check everyone's CV on this thread, but to me it seems none of the guys "doing" actual numbers here are ROAD TRANSPORT engineers (or even just truck drivers) - just doing theoretic numbers, things are getting exciting fast and numbers are through the sky.

Granted, truck builders are getting their numbers up too, with trucks offered in the 700 hp range.
However you need to understand 2 things:
a) there is a worldwide tendency to increase MVGWs (though still nowhere near where you ACTUALLY need that power)
b) today's high power diesels are extremely efficient at 1/3 their nominal power (That is the main reason for the existence of these motors)

You don't NEED 700hp to maintain a 42 ton truck at 85 km/h on ANY of Europe's passes!! Where you WOULD need the 700 hp, you CANNOT maintain the speed for other limitations - mainly road limits like too many and too tight CURVES!
In my short time driving a 520hp -42 ton rig I only ever needed all of those horses ONCE to maintain 90km/h - ...and in this occasion I was overloaded to 44 tons - lower split in 8th gear, engine-rpm scratching yellow and I was at it all of maybe 2 min......before I ran into traffic.
So - there would be no 700+ truck offered on the regular production line, unless weight and efficiency at the 42 ton level, can warrant it.
[Usually these power levels were special orders for Ultra-heavy transport units - 100km/h is like lightspeed for these...never goin' to happen]

At what I get is, that you would be well advised to talk about EFFICIENCY to a road-truck engineer. Ask him about his power suggestions towards a motorhome in your weight goal area. Make it clear, that you need ultimate efficiency numbers - no matter if you finally install the 700 hp engine - you need the numbers that make the rig move in an everyday environment.
At the end, unless you go for the big battery approach, you still need to provide the power from your diesel-gen set.
You want to run on 700 hp - you will be out of Diesel very shortly.
The absolute very best trucks will do about 24l/100km on level ground - using about 240 hp or so....x3 and you see how long your fuel will last...

At the bottom line, you want to save as much weight on parallel systems as possible:
- IF you can brake with the e-motor/generator, why add Telma/Voith systems
- IF a HUGE battery pack can make you drive all day on the battery - WHY install a 700+hp gen-set, IF a 250hp set can recharge you in a few hours AND run the household - your trusted road-truck-ENGINEER will be able to figure the efficiency difference of a heavy battery bank vs. a heavy 700+ gen-set.
You can run a small TOWN on a 500KW gen-set!! A mobile home should be able to do with a little less, no?

Bio - your "design before engineering" is all nice and good - as long as you don't have to bring it to commercial marketing - you can do "Colani"s all day long - ...just there is really NOTHING on the market Colani ever came up with.....

Design what you want, but it would be prudent to crosscheck with the ENGINEERS right away at every step, to check if it is possible at all, at least "just around the corner" - or if you need to wait for the ZERO-Point power module from SG1 to stay on the track you are on.....

The Motorhomes for the rich you showed can all have huge power because - they CAN, money no objection!
If Terralainer goes the same way - well, go for it - it just doesn't seem to fit what is discussed for the last 2000+ posts.....

What I get at, again, there is LOTS of interesting input from all over the place - Ian for one has extremely interesting data - however, what is the PRACTICAL application towards Terraliner?

700+ hp trucks! Great! Does it mean that nowadays you must have 700+ rigs? Maybe, but what are the ACTUAL reasons? It is NOT POWER NEED, it is EFFICIENCY at the needed power level - WHERE do you get that info? Talk to your friends at MAN, IVECO and ANY transport company that uses these rigs!

It is easy to collect data on the net these days (you are a master in that!), but all that info is useless unless you can find the RIGHT context!

Bringing up helicopter turbine power levels is useless - you will NEVER use a helicopter turbine in a road vehicle (except for the odd exotic, like the turbine bike, a master example of everyday uselessness and fuel-inefficiency). How can you find out about this? Ask someone who is in the industry! Mechanic or pilot or designer!

Was it Ian that worked in road planning? Great, very interesting (seriously!)!
Are you planning to "sojourn" on existing and future interstates? Or rather coastal and rural roads?
So - WHY would you need 700+ power to maintain 100km/h on the steepest existing or future interstate if you will mostly be stuck behind slow traffic on rural roads? Might as well design for that and get more efficiency....

Just a sample from a different corner: a TESLA S90D with the "Ludicrous"-up date will out-accelerate about 98% of all existing Supersport cars from 0-60mph. It does it in 2.8 seconds, all you need to do is step on it and hold on to the steering wheel (...well, maybe with the last nav-update you just have to step on it and it will steer itself...). Everything controlled, slip, grip and all.
There is only 11 cars left in the world that - in theory - can MATCH the Tesla, let alone beat it. Mind you the Tesla is a 5 seat (optional 7 seat) SEDAN.
It's lousy to sit in a swoopy Ferrari and KNOW you will get your *** kicked by a SEDAN if you tried....
HOWEVER - this comes at a huge price in efficiency if you use that power.
Even just having the sport version of the S90 will cost you for having bigger motors. [Check the Tesla forums on how range drops when you step on it. Check the Tesla web page for the difference in specs between the models...]

At the end you decide what you want and get, no matter what you really NEED....

thjakits:coffee:

BTW: You "ENGINE" brake -you don't "TRANSMISSION" brake.......though you might break the transmission....

BTW2: TELMA brakes do NOT produce any usable electric power - they are NOT generators. They produce eddy currents in a spinning Iron disc, which exert then a braking force on the system - the electric power produced is blowing up in heat right at the disc and needs HUGE amounts of cooling to avoid meltdown, literally!!

BTW3: Aviation APUs: the ONLY reason for these is LIGHT weight and generally SHORT/LIMITED time use. They are rather VERY un-efficient from a fuel consumption point of view. They are used because, they generally run only on the ground for short periods. Mainly from boarding until main-engine start and again from main-engine shut down to the end of de-boarding. An un-efficient 25 gallons/hr is still better than 50+ gallons/h for a idling main engine! In some installations it also provides the hot air needed to start the main engines and finally uses the same juice as the main-engines. As soon as these are up and idling the APU is shut down.
Below 300hp there is NO efficient turbine anywhere yet (air, water, road, stationary - compared to diesel) - rational still comes down to weight only. On a truck, that rational is out the window....
And again - AVIATION turbines are NOT rational for road (or any non-aviation) installation. Even the big power plant and marine derivatives of big turbines (30k+ horsepower) are just the core-design, EVERYTHING else around is adapted to the use at hand, mostly with an HUGE increase in infrastructure volume. You may hace space for this on a ship or in a powerplant, not so much in a road vehicle....

Talking about gen-sets. So far you showed specific road vehicle developments (Jalopniks?? etc...) - Why don't you have a look into Industrial power packs with VW/Mercedes/JBC engines (or any other top small diesel producer) - small, light, LOTS of power! Audi is winning LeMans on Diesel engines, ONE of those can supply all you need all the way down to next to nothing.

From my present idea-level, for my ICB I'd go with 2 4/5 cylinder VW diesel-generators and the biggest battery pack I can fit (IF the Aussies can prove their point of 1000km+ on battery only bus tours).....

BTW4: Wrightspeed: They don't give you the ACTUAL fuel consumption numbers! Just a specific scenario in which the OVERALL efficiency comes out on top for the turbine! Garbage truck (and for the smaller vehicles they use delivery trucks), which means LOTS of stop and go, they use pre-charged (from the grid) batteries.
For a classic truck this means LOTS of idling and of course over time a lot of ZERO-miles per gallon. So, their turbine-charge pack comes out better than an idling truck.
I BET you, use a diesel-gen set to re-charge the batteries and you come out BETTER!!
NO mention of long-distance trucking though.....
Love their drive and re-gen motor packs, but the turbine pack is phony - always turns out phony when they avoid actual performance data charts!!
If you use their drive packs and trust their brake numbers you could get as much as 2000 hp brake re-gen for less thna 35 tons GVW!! (...if you put one pack on a single axle on the trailer....). If you park the trailer you still get 1500 brake hp for a 26 ton truck - you are home!! IF it is true.....
A turbine being 10x cleaner than good diesel is also BSx2..... Today's Diesel engines are about as clean as it ever will go.
The recent VW-Skandal just about brings this to the front - today's EPA required emissions are technically NOT obtainable in an efficient manner.
[Never mind VW's cheat software is just too blunt, but Mercedes, Porsche, BMW are on the line too, and their engines are even "dirtier" than the VW, they just don't use an OBVIOUS cheater program. Then - a 50mpg VW is CERTAINLY cleaner and more efficient than any of the road legal "Rolling Coal"-pickups on that continent - never mind all the corporate corruption games in the background 3:) ]

BTW5: Sorry, this seems to have been a crosspost from your last post - so some of the stuff above might be redundant...

Last edited:

biotect

Designer
Hi thjakits,

I can accept most of your assertions up to a point.

However,

(1) ...In the first part of your post, you merely state the obvious. You state that the size of the electric motors required for braking, when they function as retarders, will be considerably larger than the size required for acceleration and running at speed. Hence, one will need to have an automotive engineer determine the former, first.

I had already stated as much a number of times, and my request to Iain for a braking-power calculation vis-a-vis a continuous descent along the Karakoram highway, was premised precisely on this insight. But hey, if you feel the need to merely repeat at great length something that I had already long understood, ever since realizing that Wrightspeed uses very large electric motors to serve as retarders for braking..... whatever.

(2) ...You did not read the information provided on the Wrightspeed website correctly. Wrightspeed only posits 500 HP for its "Route" drivetrain intended for medium-sized trucks, a drivetrain that uses two 250 HP electric motors, for 500 HP in total -- see https://www.wrightspeed.com/products/the-route/ . Whereas for in its "Route HD (heavy duty)" drivetrain, intended for three-axle heavier trucks, Wrightspeed posits four 250 HP electric motors, for 1000 HP in total. And hence, 1000 HP of regenerative braking power -- see https://www.wrightspeed.com/products/the-route-hd/ .

You fail to pick up on such distinctions, because you seem unwilling to read what others write with sufficient care.

(3) ...Agreed, input from a road transport engineer will prove very useful. And as already agreed, efficiency when operating at 1/3 nominal power, will be a paramount consideration with regard to the sizing of one of the TerraLiner's generators. But I have repeatedly stated that I am only interested in exploring turbine possibilities with regard to a second, "exceptional" generator that might kick in when the TerraLiner climbs long, extended inclines.

I can repeat myself only so many times. You do not read what others write with sufficient care, so I suppose I should simply accept that you are unwilling to "hear" me on this basic point. Which is why you merely spewed forth even more about the importance of generator efficiency relative to the most common driving conditions.....

(4) ...You can rant all you like about there being no need even for a 700 HP diesel engine in most trucks. However, the premium-luxury American Class-A motorhomes that are currently being produced (perhaps 140 per annum, maybe more), now seem to come with 600 HP engines as standard.

Iain
, our participating genuine highway engineer from Australia, noticed as much, and suggested that it would probably be good for the TerraLiner to have at least this much equivalent hybrid power available, if only for marketing reasons. I am inclined to agree with him. In fact, given the pace of recent advances in diesel engineering, I would argue that the TerraLiner should plan for at least 800 HP as a minimum benchmark. Because circa 2020, that will probably be the standard size of engine one finds in a Newell, Liberty, Marathon, Millennium, or Featherlite coach.

(5) ...The TerraLiner will need to drive fast and efficiently on Interstates, as well as slow and efficiently on coast roads. This should be obvious.

(6) ...Once again, although 1500 HP may seem like a ridiculous amount of power, the spirit in which I am exploring this possibility is experimental, speculative, and open-ended. And again, the idea is being explored with regard to only one of two possible generators.

If this kind of exploration does not suit your fancy, then please do not post in reaction to it. I would very much like to at least investigate aircraft APUs, and I would like safas' input regarding the same. What is then not wanted and not needed, is you throwing rhetorical hot air from the peanut gallery, simply stating the obvious, namely, something to the effect that such exploration seems totally "unnecessary", from your point of view. Your comments on this score are in truth not helpful at all, no matter how helpful you may imagine yourself trying to be.

There are times in this thread when "blue sky" exploration can be very interesting, and even illuminating. So I've developed a strong antipathy against those who seem hell-bent on shooting down such pure "dreaming" exercises even before they get off the ground, merely because -- from the perspective of the self-appointed shooter -- such dreaming exercises are "unrealistic". When this thread wants to dream for a bit, let it dream. Why such a need to shoot down dreaming even before it flies even just a little bit? Shoot-down-the-dreaming devil's advocacy of the kind that you think is helpful, thjaktis, is from my point of view wretchedly counter-productive. Personally I have no use for it whatsoever, and honestly, I wish you would desist.

(7) ...Think of it this way: I was willing to entertain your favorite blue-sky pet-idea for a while, the idea of a single-piece, unified tubular space-frame. When you first proposed it, I did not immediately shoot it down.

Quite to the contrary, we kicked the idea around for a while, I posted a great deal of information about it, and I did not dismiss it out of hand. Only more recently, as I began thinking about the issue of chassis-frame and camper-box buildability, did it begin to occur to me that simply for practical reasons, the base-chassis might have to be constructed separately from the camper-box, because the manufacturers involved would need to be different. However, as you suggested, the two pieces could then be firmly bolted together, so that they function structurally in a manner similar to a single, integrated, completely welded space-frame. That is in fact how Airstream and Kimberley put their trailers together, and how their trailers function structurally: an aluminum camper box is firmly bolted onto a steel base-chassis, and the two work together to provide maximum structural rigidity.

I then want to ask you: when other participants in the thread want to explore their favored lines of speculative dreaming, who are you to appoint yourself to the role of "shoot-down" judge? In future please try to exercise more restraint, and allow the thread to go speculative, especially when other participants are willing to do the work necessary to explore their preferred lines of "blue sky" inquiry. Please find the restraint necessary to refrain from attacking lines of blue-sky inquiry that are not your own preferred cup of tea. Or quite honestly, I will have to find the restraint for you, by having you banned from the thread.

I feel very grateful to safas for having done all the research into helicopter turbines. And safas probably would not have done that research, if your strident, merely stream-of-consciousness posts had been constantly trying to shoot down his interest in helicopter turbines.

I try to assume that you mean well, and that at least in your own head, you think of yourself as trying to be helpful. But more often than not thjakits, your contributions are not helpful at all. And again, if you can't find the restraint to control yourself, I will have to impose it on you, from the outside, by having you banned from the thread.

(8) ...You may also notice that when other participants on the thread shoot down your favorite lines of blue-sky speculation -- for instance, your pet idea of a huge 500 - 600 KW battery bank, as first floated in post #1889 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...igid-Torsion-Free-Frame?p=1955964#post1955964 -- they do so using evidence and argument.

It became quickly apparent that a huge battery bank of this kind does not make sense at this stage in history, for one simple reason: batteries have nothing even remotely near the energy-density of diesel fuel used in combination with an ICE engine. It will take not one, but at least two more "generations" of R&D and product development before batteries begin to store energy at a level of density similar to fossil fuels. Everyone deeply involved with the hybrids and electric vehicles admits that this is true. It's a universally accepted common datum, one accepted even by those working on Lith-ion batteries, for instance. The kind of big-battery-pack/small-generator combination that is your own personal preferred bit of blue-sky dreaming, is a least a decade away from practical feasibility.

So instead, in almost all current hybrid proposals, even very "strong" ones of the serial hybrid variety, the balance between batteries and the range-extender remains "shifted" towards the superior weight-to-energy performance provided by generators. Everything that I have read, and the battery weight calculations done by Joe Maninga, or the calculations done by Iain and Joe, all suggest as much -- see post #1924 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...igid-Torsion-Free-Frame?p=1960355#post1960355 , and post #1966 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...igid-Torsion-Free-Frame?p=1962988#post1962988 . But to Iain's and Joe's credit, they did calculations, they provided links (Joe's post was packed with links), and they provided evidence.

The only big exceptions are all-electric transit buses that are now being proposed and implemented for use in densely urban areas, where they will have access to strategically located fast-charging stations. As already explained in detail in an earlier post, such all-electric buses with very large battery banks are really just glorified electric trolley buses. They simply propose to replace the overhead catenary grid with batteries and fast-charging stations. But like their trolley-bus ancestors, they will remain profoundly dependent on an external electrical infrastructure, in this case, a vast network of charging stations. They are not "go anywhere" vehicles, they are not "long-haul" vehicles, and they provide no useful precedent for travel by expedition motorhome or TerraLiner through rural and wilderness areas, far from major urban centers.

Also notice that my initial response to this second example of blue-sky dreaming on your part, was at first very open and positive -- see posts #1903 to #1920, at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...igid-Torsion-Free-Frame?p=1959790#post1959790 and following. Only once Iain did some preliminary calculations, and Joe chimed in, did I begin to realize that the such a large battery pack could not possibly compare to a bigger generator when it comes to the weight-to-power ratio. See post #1926 for where my doubts begin, at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...igid-Torsion-Free-Frame?p=1959790#post1959790.

(9) ...Yes, I know perfectly well that the electromagnetic-induction retarders made by Telma are not generators. I know that they produce heat, and not electricity, heat that then has to be dissipated. I was the one who first posted the links and the videos, after all -- see post #1995, at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...igid-Torsion-Free-Frame?p=1965085#post1965085 . And this is precisely why I suggested that Wrightspeed's idea of big electric motors instead seems, at least on the face of it, a better solution for a large hybrid truck. i.e. better than small electric motors + retarders.

(10) ...Yes, I know perfectly well that an aviation APU will not be fuel-efficient. However, you are wrong when you state that APUs are used only for short, limited time periods. Some aircraft APUs are designed to run continuously, while an aircraft is airborne.

(11) ...Your suggestion that industrial power packs that use a top-quality diesel engine would be worth investigating further, was useful. It was probably the only really useful suggestion in your entire post.....

(12) ...Needless to say, you never did address my concern about weight in a 1500 HP generator scenario. Instead, you simply want to rule out 1500 HP as "unnecessary", which perhaps it is.

However, weight just is a "rational" consideration on a truck once we begin thinking of a generator that can produce this amount of power. Furthermore, it is worth pointing out that some of the world's fastest, rather small sports cars have engines that pump out more than 1000 HP -- see for instance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Veyron .

(13) ...As for having to drive behind slower vehicles in any case when climbing extended inclines, maybe yes, maybe no. To repeat (once again), this idea of a very powerful turbine generator is merely being pursued somewhat speculatively. And even if it were implemented more "practically", that would still be done in a spirit of experimentation. As in, "Let's see what happens when we fit the TerraLiner with a 1500 HP turbine."

(14) ...So to repeat, I know of no 1500 HP piston-diesel engine that weighs just 150 kg. The reason why weight is then important, is because if this 1500 HP generator were thought of as merely a "supplementary" APU to assist on extended inclines, then weight just would matter. As a supplementary APU, it could be justified if the combined weight of a 1500 HP turbine + generator were less than 500 kg. But if the combination were to weigh more than that, it would begin to seem like a bad idea.

I have no idea what the weight of a generator of this size might be, and clearly, it would be on the generator side of things where weight might increase dramatically. But minimizing weight on the engine side of things would be important, too. That's why I think it might prove especially valuable to research jet-aircraft APUs. Because they will have been designed to cut down on weight as much as possible, and they might provide some useful ball-park figures for the weight of a turbine + generator combination that produces a wallop of energy, along the lines of 1500 HP (the engine), or 950 - 1000 KW (the generator).

(15) ...There is also another point to be made about turbines. Turbines came to be used in aircraft, and helicopters especially, not only because their power-to-weight ratio is much better than piston engines, but also because turbines are much more reliable and maintenance-free than piston engines. In helicopters especially, engine-failure can be catastrophic, because a helicopter does not have the "fail safe" back-up of wings. Did you watch the TED-talk video in which Ian Wright makes this basic point?

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

biotect

Designer
CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST

A. Aspire versus thjakits: a mere shouting match

Please also remember that when you simply assert, for instance, that sideways movements, bumps, and accelerations in a helicopter mean that their turbines need to be built to handle them, sure, I am "inclined" to believe you. But I would still consider your assertion nothing more than that. For me, it's still just an assertion, a mere opinion, because you did not provide any links.

Recall that earlier in the thread Aspire merely asserted the exact opposite claim. Aspire merely asserted that turbines operate at such high speeds, and have such close tolerances, that they could not possibly prove "roadworthy" in bad-road or off-road applications. Like you, Aspire was very fond of merely asserting his opinions, and then expecting others to believe him, just because he's Aspire. But opinions are like a**holes: everyone has one.

So why should one believe the merely asserted opinion of one highly opinionated participant on this thread (Aspire), as opposed to the merely asserted opinion of another highly opinionated participant on the thread (thjakits)? Especially if neither participant provides links, evidence, images, or videos, to back up their strongly held views?

Before you know it, things just degenerate to the level of shouting match, "Aspire versus thjakits", because neither highly opinionated participant is willing to back up their claims with evidence. Both merely want to assert their personal authority, which on a web forum like this is utterly bogus and unacceptable. None of us know who Aspire or thjakits actually are in real life, so why should we believe either of their mere assertions? Just because they often write in capital letters? Just because they try to shout their opinions, trying to convince us of the truth of their opinions via the orthographical equivalent of shouting?

B. Orthographical Shouting

At a certain point such orthographical shouting becomes a bit comic, as the number of exclamation marks, capital letters, and underlines spirals out of control.

Those who engage in this practice seem to suffer the delusion of thinking that the person who “wins” an argument is merely the person who packs their posts with the most exclamation marks, or who underlines and capitalizes the most number of words. As in,

I AM RIGHT, don't you SEE!!!##!!!

Can't you literally FEEL (!!!) the ABSOLUTE VEHEMENCE of my belief that I AM RIGHT (#!%$&##!!). Can't you literally FEEL my conviction in the very ORTHOGRAPHICAL INTENSITY with which I try to SHOUT my absolutely correct ideas !##!!!!....!!!!

Godamnit, having to write my absolutely correct ideas is such a TOTAL PAIN (!###!). Because I AM SO MUCH MORE RIGHT in AUDIO :wings: :victory::wings: !!!

In AUDIO, others can literally HEAR me SHOUTING :wings: :victory::jumping: :victory::wings: ; they can truly FEEL (!!!) my ABSOLUTE VEHEMENCE in their very eardrums :wings::wings::wings::wings:#!%$&##!!.

Gosh, what I wouldn't GIVE for a REALLY GREAT BLOG on which I could record the fantastic sound of my OWN voice SHOUTING! :wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings:#!%$&##!!$&#!%!!!!.

Those who feel the need to write in this way, in order to convince others of their point of view, may need to examine that need. They may need to ask themselves whether writing in this way on a blog ever convinces anyone, of anything.

Especially on this thread, where most participants do understood the epistemological expectations; do understood that the name of the game here is argument and evidence; and have conducted themselves accordingly. Personally, I have no time whatsoever for shouting matches.

C. Genuine Devil's Advocacy, versus the mere Expression of Strongly-Held Opinions

Devil's advocacy does have its place on this thread, but devil's advocacy can take different forms. It can be expressed in different tones of voice, and it can be delivered in different prose styles. There is also a big difference between devil's advocacy, and merely spewing forth one's opinions in a blustering and rhetorical way. Criticism and devil's advocacy is only valuable to the extent that the critic or devil's advocate is willing to advance good arguments, backed up by evidence. Mere one-liner vehement assertions are not going to advance the discussion in this thread one bit. They won't make other people think, but rather, they will only piss other people off.

When a post is merely an assertorical statement, it's really just a vacuum chamber, empty of all content, devoid of the argument and evidence that others can respond to in a reasonable way. It only invites a “counter-shout”, an equally assertorical statement in return. And soon an exchange degenerates into a flame war that's all about personalities, and that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. That's why vehement assertion without argument or evidence is such a dangerous way to post: one positively invites very aggressive, assertorical replies in return.

Whereas if instead one does the work necessary to back up one's assertions with arguments, links, and evidence, then other people will respond to that content. They will respond to the substance, to the meat of what's being said, instead of to the person who is saying it.

There is also a huge difference between devil's advocacy written from a perspective that is truly neutral and objective, versus devil's advocacy written from the perspective of one's own narrow conception of what the ideal motorhome might be. To simply state that one doesn't like some aspect of TerraLiner design because it does not fit one's own personal conception of an ideal motorhome, is not playing devil's advocate. It is simply flaming, it's simply being obtuse and obstructionist. It does not help advance the thread one bit, and actually becomes a major distraction, a background buzzing noise made by a fly that simply has to be ignored. It would be easier for everyone if the fly and its noise were not here.

Whereas genuine devil's advocacy -- raising possible points of difficulty with the TerraLiner design from an “internal” and more sympathetic perspective, a kind of devil's advocacy that recognizes that the TerraLiner is not designed and can't be designed to be the “ultimate motorhome” for everyone – well, that's a different story. Genuine devil's advocacy will simply accept the starting premises of this thread as given, and will then work within those premises. It won't try to radically re-direct the thread in a completely different direction.

D. If you continue to merely assert your opinions, without links or evidence, please stop posting in this thread

Now thjakits, on occasion some of the things that you mention based upon your own personal life-experience -- for instance, truck-drivers burning up Telma brakes -- well, such bits of personal experience can be somewhat interesting. But all of the merely stream-of-consciousness, purely anecdotal, off-the-top-of-your-head information that you provide would be much, much more interesting if it were accompanied by videos, or links, or images providing evidence of some kind. Yes, I know that providing links or posting videos and images requires work, and that it's much easier to just write something off the top of your head, and merely assert. But to repeat, there is virtually zero epistemic value in posts that merely assert, without evidence or links. You will gain no respect and no enthusiastic responses, especially from me, if you continue to post in this way.

At a bare minimum, posting in this way, just off the top of your head, and merely asserting your very strongly held views, is dumb-*ss lazy. It seems to demonstrate a desire to merely spew forth, instead of a desire to truly contribute to a conversation, giving others something that they can use, and build upon.

safas created a huge spreadsheet that's packed with weblinks, links that will then allow others to follow up and explore his research further. Whereas your posts without links are conversational dead-ends. They are literally conversation-destroyers, and they positively invite equally aggressive and merely assertorical counter-responses. Isn't all of this clear by now? Do you want to find yourself engaged in another flame-war with someone who has equally strong views to the contrary, contrary to whatever you happen to be merely asserting, in a given post?

If you intend to participate further in this thread, please try to be more constructive. Also, please try to begin from the premise that you are not our teacher, and that we are not your students. Which means that you do not have the epistemic right to just lecture, assert, spew, and rant, and then expect others to simply accept your mere assertions as holy writ. Web discussion forums do not work that way, and on my own view, "real life" does not work that way, either. Please observe that I have been patient, and you may have noticed that that the "tone" of my missives on the subject of basic blog-etiquette has been gradually escalating. If it seems that you simply cannot understand the request that is being made, I may have to contact a forum administrator to take further measures.

All best wishes,

Biotect

Last edited:

thjakits

Adventurer
Bio,

I am not a speed typer like you - I am NOT the Terraliner designer - IF you really want Aviation Turbine certification requirements, you will have to dig into the applicable Aviation regulations yourself. If you cannot take this info as is - well, I have no need to ascertain it to you - I DON'T CARE if you believe me or not.

There is already plenty of repeat info in your thread, that was discussed long time ago - e.g. Helicopter Turbines....

The idea for bringing up these points is to point you in the right direction - I am not interested to do YOUR research work or proof my point for your interest.
For all I care you can ignore me all you want - .....and waist time and energy to just come to point made down the road.

Bio - IF you still and seriously believe you REALLY need 1500hp (or even 700+) to DRIVE your motorhome - you need to get yourself a reality check!
Yes, you may want (and hopefully get) 1000+ hp re-gen capability for BRAKING, you will NEVER need that for driving anywhere.....no need to PROOF that, that's just common sense/knowledge....

YES - I saw Wrightspeeds TED talk - nice sales pitch - mixing Aviation with Road tech for sales purposes.

The reason for turbines taking over Aviation (for BIG power) is one thing, ROAD is a different story all together!
And really'has NOTHING to do with each other.

At the end a actually LAME sales-pitch.....typical for a non-specialist public and without the chance to ask specific questions (like specific fuel consumption) ...

Dig up the facts if you want them - I am done giving you COMMON KNOWLEDGE pointers, just to be questioned and ridiculed by you....

thjakits out for good :coffee:

Last edited:

campo

Adventurer
Hi Biotect
It’s strange behaviour when you write things like:
... If you continue to merely assert your opinions, without links or evidence, please stop posting in this thread...Biotect
All the long this thread you have been the designer, philosopher, researcher, dreamer.
The other participants here like that and love to think with you about a Terraliner.
That’s strong because Terraliner has become a common dream concept for more than only one.
You are the architect and the one who takes decisions about the direction.
Understand that it not always clear (for me) or funny for the others when you change, on the road of development, the concept direction.
But we respect it because it's your thread.
Many of the participants have a lot of experience. Each on his own fields.
That’s exactly what you need, practical input and practical experience.
Also guys who help you not to drift away with your dreams, to far into worthless science fiction design.
We are always trying to design a innovative but realistic vehicle even in the new format as it is now.
Thjakits is the guy you need when it comes up to practical knowledge and input on turbine engines.
Probably you do not know his profession but realise that he is probably the only participant with lot's of turbine experience
from the practical side in this part of the discussion. So no reason to shout.
All the best from Campo

biotect

Designer
Hi campo,

I can only repeat here what I already wrote: that when one set of participants on the thread (for instance, silverado and safas), suggest that it might be worth exploring turbines for a bit, personally I am inclined to let them. I figure that because it's my thread, if I want to be "liberal" and let others dream, then all participants should accept as much. If I have very clearly signaled that I would like the thread to explore "turbine generator" dreaming for a bit -- because silverado and safas seems to want to explore it -- then there should be no resistance to this. After all, if a few pages of the thread do a bit of dreaming about the possible incorporation of a helicopter turbine as one of the generators, what's the harm? Maybe at the end of the exploration everyone agrees that the idea is not so good after all. But it's also possible that in the course of research, we discover some unexpected gems.

So I find myself asking: what authority does anyone here have to shoot down safas, in a dogmatic and asssertorical sort of way? If anyone has that authority, it would be me. But I don't want to shoot him down. Rather, I want to actually encourage safas, and his research into turbines and jet-aircraft APUs. Jay Leno incorporated a Honeywell helicopter turbine into a car, and he didn't even use it as a generator -- see posts #507 to #510, at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...igid-Torsion-Free-Frame?p=1652983#post1652983 and following. So what's so wrong about merely doing a bit of research into the possible incorporation of a turbine generator into the TerraLiner?

I then feel that thjakits constantly oversteps the bounds of his authority or "role" in this thread, when he tries to suppress some of its more speculative moments with his rants. And furthermore, he does so in a way that is thoroughly irritating, because he simply asserts, and he only very rarely backs up his assertions with links and evidence. I'm sorry, but that's just not kosher on a blog, for all of the reasons that I have already given.

Nobody else does it, and I also don't do it. Even though I may dream and philosophize on this blog, I actually do practice what I preach. My posts are literally packed to the gills with links, videos, images, and evidence. If thjakits needs some samples of the kinds of posts filled with argument and evidence that are acceptable here, he has plenty of examples to consult. But instead he just wants to vent off the top of his head, making strong claims without backing any of them up. Maybe that's acceptable in your world, campo, but it's not acceptable in mine. If I were a hypocrite regarding this issue, I would not feel that it's my right to expect argument and evidence. But I am not a hypocrite about this, because I actually practice what I preach.

On the subject of "authority" more generally....

Who should we consider the better authority on the suitability of turbines for automotive applications: (1) thjakits? or (2) Ian Wright, the founder of Wrightspeed?

I think the answer here should be dead obvious to everyone: Ian Wright. After all, who is thjakits? Why on earth would anyone ever take thjakits more seriously than Ian Wright? Ian Wright has automotive industry credibility -- and hybrid credibility in particular -- that no doubt vastly outstrips every single participant on this thread, with the possible exception of egn. If anybody could be considered an expert on hybrid technologies, it would be Ian Wright, one of the co-founders of Tesla.

Now sure, one could be cynical and take a cheap shot at Ian Wright, claiming that he has a vested interest in promoting turbines because he's the founder of Wrightspeed. But actually, if you read Wrightspeed's website carefully, it's clear that Wrightspeed's main focus is on the drive-train, on the electric motors and gearing, and not on the "Fulcrum" turbine. I get the feeling that Iain Wright developed his own version of an automotive turbine range-extender simply because he honestly and truly believes that a turbine is a better technology for range-extending than a piston-driven diesel engine. Why else would he do so? And if anyone might be in a good position to make such an assessment, it would be someone like Ian Wright, who has all the engineering credentials necessary, as well as loads of practical experience equipping trucks with hybrid drive-trains.

Think of it the way: even though Wright did develop the Fulcrum turbine generator, he still advertises that his company is committed to an "Open Generator Architecture". What Wrightspeed wants to do most is sell the drivetrain, not the turbine generator. Developing the Fulcrum turbine generator was almost an afterthought. Wrightspeed is far more focused on electric motor technology, battery technology, regenerative braking, and systems control technology, than it is focused on turbine generators.

So for anyone to just dismiss Wright and his views out of hand, is plain stupid. It's also arrogant, presumptuous, and profoundly irritating, especially on a thread like this. A thread where I have made it abundantly clear to everyone that I want to dream a bit; and I want to encourage others like safas to dream a bit, too.

Furthermore, note that thjaktis is thoroughly hypocritical on this score. He would love it if we were to discuss super-sized battery banks that weigh 10 tons or more for the next 50 pages, because that's his own preferred bit of dreaming. Even though when it comes to all-electric trucks and buses, literally everyone in the industry agrees that all-electric "long-haul" trucking is at least another decade way, perhaps longer. The energy-density for batteries just isn't there yet, and it still won't be there when the next generation of battery technologies comes on line. We will have to wait through at least two more generations of deep-cycle batteries, before we begin to see batteries that have the same energy-density as fossil fuels. See the excellent interview at http://www.corporate.man.eu/en/pres...r/MAN-and-NEOPLAN-at-Busworld-2013-84678.html on precisely this point, and for further discussion, see post #1905 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...igid-Torsion-Free-Frame?p=1959794#post1959794 .

Nobody anywhere has yet proposed a long-haul all-electric truck. They haven't even proposed a long-haul "very electric" truck, of the kind that would have a very big battery bank, and a comparatively small range-extender. Whereas hybrid off-road trucks without any battery storage whatsoever do exist, today, for purchase: Oshkosh and Le Tourneau, of instance. And Wrightspeed is now proposing a long-haul strong-hybrid drivetrain for a reasonably heavy, 3-axle truck.

So you tell me: who has lost touch with reality? Who is actually willing to track market conditions and non-vaporware developments? Who was able to see right through the pure marketing nonsense of Brighsun's Melbourne-to-Sydney run "on a single charge" -- see http://cleantechnica.com/2015/11/05/electric-bus-drives-from-melbourne-to-sydney-on-1-charge/ . Anyone with half a brain quickly realizes that this publicity stunt means nothing, if the 514 KW power pack that Brighsun used weighed 10 tons. Who knows what it weighed; that's one of the things that Brighsun rather conveniently never tells us.

Now campo, I know full well that what I have been writing in response to thjakits behavior has not been "nice". I know that it has not been very Buddhist of me.

But what thjakits has been doing is not cricket either. I don't want people to think twice about posting interesting speculative possibilities on this thread, because they are worried that they might find themselves engaged in flame war with thjakits, the way that dwh had to fight thjakits about independent suspension versus straight axle. dwh merely posted some very useful examples of independent suspension technologies, because he wanted to help me out. But thajaktis immediately wailed on him, because thjakits is such a straight-axle zealot. dwh then found himself getting sucked into a really distasteful argument. I can only wonder how many other interesting ideas people may have been reluctant to post, because they've been worried that thjakits would piss all over them, if they do.

For instance, I really do want silverado to post many, many more links to hybrid initiatives, like the links he posted to VIA Motors and AltE. I'd like safas to keep posting about turbines and alternative, non-piston ways of generating electricity. So too I'd like Ian to remain very engaged, because he brings to bear an extraordinary precision of intelligence, combined with the practical know-how that comes from having built his own expedition vehicle. I view your contributions in the same light, campo. And like Ian, when you criticize, at least you take the time and trouble to develop an argument, and provide evidence. I'd also love to hear more from Haf-E, nick_disjunkt, dwh, and egn, if he is still around. It was wonderful briefly corresponding with Libransser, too, and needless to say, Joe Maninga is always welcome.

If this then means kicking out thjakits, so that he is no longer venting his spleen all over the various interesting and somewhat "speculative" ideas that come along, then so be it.

His "devil's advocacy" is more often than not just spleen-venting negativity; it's just negativity masquerading as "realistic critique". It would not be so bad if he were to present his thoughts much less dogmatically and assertorically. But instead, his tone is always rant, rant, rant. His tone is always incredibly dogmatic, never tentative, never self-skeptical, never willing to use simple, important phrases like "I don't know", "perhaps I am wrong", "there is room for disagreement here", "I am not sure about this", "might", "perhaps", "maybe".....

There is a long-standing debate in liberal political theory, whether one should tolerate the intolerant. Whether one can dogmatically assert that dogmatic people should not be dogmatic. Whether it is authoritarian to insist that people not be authoritarian in the way they think, write, and behave. Personally, I settled that debate for myself a very long time ago. I think Fascists do not have a right to march or express their views in public places. I think Germany is absolutely correct when it outlaws Hitler memorabilia. And I think dogmatic, authoritarian people who simply assert, should be kicked out of every context they find themselves in, until they finally "get" the message, and realize that their habits of thought and conduct must change. I have no problem whatsoever being an "authoritarian liberal": someone who is willing to force people to be more tolerant, more open to the views of others, more willing to change their own minds.

The "paradox of toleration" -- that we have to be intolerant towards the intolerant, if we want to have a good, tolerant, liberal society -- is fun for just a few days' mental masturbation. But it quickly gets stale, and in the real world, one soon realizes that dogmatic types need and deserve a kick in the teeth. One realizes that if one is not wiling to be rough with Fascists, Fascists will soon be very rough with us.

I've worked as a teacher, and I very quickly decided that it was my duty to force students to listen to each other more, and to insist that they use argument and evidence when they make claims. I think it's my duty as the person who started this thread to do the same here. If thjakits agrees to play by these "militantly liberal" ground rules, then he is welcome to post here. But if he wants to continue his Hitler-esque stream-of-consciouseness merely assertorical rants, I have no time for him, and he should go elsewhere.

I am sorry to say this, and I am even sorrier that I had to say it. But there it is. If saying this makes me an authoritarian about matters like tolerance, listening to others, letting other people explore and dream, and not letting thread-participants rant, then so be it. I've been called worse things than someone who intolerantly insists upon non-dogmatism and tolerance.

All best wishes,

Biotect

Last edited:

safas

Observer
Audi is winning LeMans on Diesel engines
One more marketing lie is that diesels are so good that in endurance they work better than SI.
The year Audi entered competition (with a car developed by Joest Racing who won at Le Mans several times before), the rules were changed to increase minimum weight and lower maximum engine RPM.
So it's not that diesels were better; rules were changed to make them better.
I would very much like to at least investigate aircraft APUs, and I would like safas' input regarding the same.
I gave up. I failed to find SFC of any airplane APU, though in some pilot's manual there was fuel consumption listed. No power and no weight though.

Bio,
you talk about thjakits shooting down my dreams. I don't feel like that. I take his arguments, some straight, some with a deal of salt, some with a big one. Rather then shot down, they refine my dream. Turbine has never been the core of it, it was just a side track. Now that I learned more about it, I see that it is not as great as wikipedia made it and that there are a lot of problems with it. I have not dismissed it completely though.

thjakits,
I agree with Bio though that the form in which you phrase your words is aggressive, needlessly.

Bio,
I tolerate intolerant people and I view thjakits as a useful participant of the thread.

biotect

Designer
Hi safas,

I don't tolerate intolerant people. I tell them to their faces that I think they are bigots, or racists, or Nazis, or narrow-minded zealots, or dogmatic fundamentalists, or authoritarian a**-holes, or people who are simply incapable of listening to others. And that their intolerance is just plain wrong. Sorry, but that's where I stand, both in this thread, as well as in "real life".

I also need this thread to remain open to many voices, and to speculative dreaming. I don't view thjakits' attempts to shut down dreaming that he personally dislikes, as in any way useful. It is not his place to do so, and I have told him any number of different ways that I will not tolerate his trying to do so. But he just doesn't "get" it. I don't think his voice contributes that much to this thread, and I think it actually does more harm than good.

All best wishes,

Biotect

Last edited:

safas

Observer
I judge people by what they do, not how. thjakits provides useful insight. Even though I don't always like the way he does is, but overal I view his contributions as positive.
And with calling him a nazi you're going way too far.

biotect

Designer
Hi safas,

I didn't explicitly call him a Nazi; I merely listed Nazis as one kind of intolerant person that I am willing to call out. I live in Europe, where the far-right and various nationalist parties are unfortunately gaining ground in different countries for diverse reasons. And I've realized that if people like me do not make it clear that we believe in liberal democracy, toleration, and multiculturalism, then a "discourse vacuum" will get filled with the vitriol of the far-right instead, and the political spectrum will shift to the right. That's all that I was communicating in the first paragraph.

Intolerance is not just about substance, it's about also form, especially when it comes to speech. After all, does it make sense to say, "His words are intolerant, but his behavior is liberal and open-minded"? Generally speaking, intolerance is a cognitive and verbal concept: intolerance begins with ways of thinking and talking. Sure, it also eventually gets manifested in intolerant behavior, for instance, when far-right skin-heads beat up homosexuals, or spray-paint Jewish cemeteries with Nazi graffiti. But tolerance begins in the mind, in words, and that's where it has to be resisted first and most fundamentally.

On a web forum like this, speech is also behavior. One can't really argue that the "form" or the "how" is separate from the content on a web forum. Or at the very least, I've found myself increasingly unable to appreciate the small bits of useful "content" or "insight" in thjakits' posts, because the form is so difficult to digest, so authoritarian and aggressive in tone, and so dogmatic.

All best wishes,

Biotect

Last edited:

thjakits

Adventurer
Safas,

my apologies, if you felt "needless aggression" from my part - that was and is NEVER my intention.

I NEVER directly "attack" anyone, never on a forum or thread like this.
[...actually, this thread is somewhat out of the ordinary as the thread owner DOES introduce a load of views, that have really nothing to do with the regular way threads go on this part of the forum - namely TECHNICAL descriptions of vehicle builds or developments. This thread went WILD, on data presented, web references and not least philosophy, art, political and economic views - .....nothing wrong with that, just not the usual fair.]

I can be a rather cynical person - probably because of my life experiences. Still, unless specifically directed, I do NOT point my cynical notes at any specific person - but put my thoughts in "general space". If someone feels directly attacked - again apologies, this is/was not the intent.
[Not an excuse, merely a probable explanation: I am native German speaker, even though nowadays my life works in English and Spanish. My humorous/fun/cynical (hfc) understanding/formation/development was definitely in German and though I do think in English and Spanish respectively, my hfc is still based on German formation and doesn't always translate or form too well in my other languages....]

Also I am a rather technical person as opposed to arts/philosophical/literate - I know if I like a piece of art or not. I am completely unable to discuss it in art-educational-historical-defined terms. I can express what I feel/see about it, but I cannot in professional terms. Same for literature, philosophy, politics, wine.....
Talk to me about machines and the matter changes - I am no specialist in any particular line (except for a few very specialized areas in my present job since 20+ years), but I did work in a few interesting jobs over the years and try to keep up with developments in the general areas. If you care for looking up and going through my posts, you will find that I never "attack" a specific item, I just put down an incentive to research the particular concern and/or post my opinion on why or why not the item will or will not work - generally in out of mainstream knowledge areas in which I DO have experience - e.g. Turbines, driving Trucks, ..... and I like to bring up specific experience points, although useful data will have to come from somewhere else too make a professional decision for the project at hand.
- as an example - in case you missed this in the sheer volume of this thread - (this is for Safras!) Independent vs. Solid axle vs. leaf spring vs. Air-suspension: Opinions came in from all sides and experiences, e.g. I drove solid axles with air suspension and leaf springs, some on the road, some off the road, however I DON'T own a truck, Camo OWNS a truck, but if re-call correctly he has leaf-springs on solid axles and recommended according to his experience.
The threadowner accuses me of getting obnoxious about "defending" my opinion - however, he never made a solid argument against my opinion.
If you read through the particular posts, you probably find my arguments solid and based on facts and experience. No doubt, his decided apon solution will work too - however my argument was never eliminated in a professional manner, as he now requires for every statement - DA style.....

[As a summary, I worked on Diesel-Generators, Small Hydro-Electric Power Plant, Commercial Ships Engines - biggest was two 14k HP MAN Diesels, worked on Helicopters and fly them for a living, piston powered and turbine powered, I also did stints driving Trucks all over Europe, with any load you imagine but liquids/tankers, always going through the Alps at least once a week and in any season, I have a little experience with 4x4s and off-road and had the doubtful pleasure to be on a few bus rides on the "most dangerous routes" in the Andes region, spent some time in the Heavy Steal Production Industry and finally a load of years in commercial fishing (Tuna spotting with helicopters, so I have a good idea of all that machinery too), personal interests range from 4x4, cars, bikes, experimental aviation, to alternative energy and alternative agriculture (Aquaponics, Green Forage), raptor birds, skoolie conversion, container based homes, .... - yes, I would say I have some insight into "machinery things"]

To come back to the point where you may have felt a "needlessly aggressive attack" - Turbines.

I do not remember when you came onto this thread nor do I know if you read through all of it. I believe Turbines have been discussed before (I may be wrong and mix up with a different thread, .....), and the pro/cons listed.

I have no problem with repeating the Turbine discussion - in this instance I just did not elaborate on the pro/cons and/or differences of Aviation and Road Turbines - I just made the point, that they are not comparable for any USEFUL application.
[The Thread-owner brings up Jay Leno's turbine car as a sample. I'd say Jay Leno is the first one to tell you, that the car has no practical purpose - all fun only! Besides, I DID mention that exceptions seem to confirm the rule - there is a motorbike with a Allison 250 in production - still, it is the same as with Jay's car - all fun, NO practicality and certainly NO efficiency - they are guzzlers! I hope the thread-owner doesn't insist that I provide actual fuel consumption numbers - the matter is quite obvious!]

Safas, as you found out quite quickly, in aviation there are 2 kinds of APUs, airborne (without exception small turbines) and ground based (piston engine driven generators and/or compressors, turbine driven generators and/or compressors, or electrically driven generators and/or compressors).

The only ones that would apply for a vehicle and were considered were the airborne units - for the power they provide, SUPER guzzlers - as mentioned their use is based on other factors than fuel efficiency.....

Aviation vs. Road "power units" and the Wrightspeed TED clip.

You are welcome to google up the facts yourself, but here a summary in points style:

- Aviation power plants are designed to mainly operate in the upper 1/3 of their power range - Road Vehicle engines are designed to work mainly in the lower 1/3 of their power range.

- Aviation turned to Turbines because getting the increased power requirements was getting seriously hard to come by from piston engines. Remember, to double your speed you need 4x the power, so as airplane speeds increased and the airplane size went up the power requirements went up, accordingly the maintenance and complexity of the engines - The limit was pretty much around 4500 hp (some going to 5000+, but being rather "sensitive") - with the arrival of turbines, you got a lightweight, comparatively simple and reliable power source that would use a less hazardous fuel - so the comparable inefficient fuel consumption was acceptable - rest is history.

- ROAD turbines is a different history and different design parameters (see previous posts and links by the thread-owner to about all past road vehicle turbine developments) - at the road car/truck power level there is virtually NO aviation turbine adaptions. The only ones that share basic design parameters are in the 1000+ hp range, where they run in Navy adaptions, tanks and powerplants - in addition to aircraft, HOWEVER these adaptions do not have fuel efficiency as their primary target and once adapted outside the aircraft are getting rather heavy and voluminous.

Now coming around to Wrightspeed again - I do not and did not ridicule the man or his power plant!! Contrary, all the kudos to him and hopefully he will succeed in developing a diesel comparable fuel-efficient road turbine (his turbine seems to be a original design and not an aviation adaption), however his website and advertising is pretty clear, if not obvious to the untrained eye - his turbine is NOT anywhere near the fuel-efficiency of his diesel-competition - frankly whenever specific fuel consumption data is missing - you can bet that it is not favorable for the seller.
He specifically describes the environment and case when his system is saving - and I do NOT doubt his data! For the case described it is a good system.
For a long-range truck it isn't, yet....
Then - using a Diesel-gen set would improve again on his numbers even in his specific case.
Again, nothing wrong with his goal to try to get the turbine into competitive range, after all this is his dream and baby.
However - I just pointed out what you want/should read between the lines....I am possible but critical and detailed customer, NOT his sales person.
I am NOT blaming him for trying to sell his product - I am pointing out to a hopefully critical audience, what he is NOT saying....

The same with his drive packs (which of course don't care where the power is coming from, so really are a different, independent discussion point) - the way they are presented, they are THE THING to have!!
Hopefully they are and IF they really pull off their braking-re-gen numbers, great! Actually FANTASTIC! What I do put out though is some doubt - simply because their numbers "feel" a little too great - and that's what I do, I shed a little doubt on it - you need confirmation, feel free to google up the competition! I do not need this machinery at this time - if and when I get to that, I will do my COMPLETE research, in depth.
[Wrightspeed claims his braking re-gen is x2 the nominal drive-power - great! ...for how long? 5 sec, 10 sec 30 sec, 2 min , permanent? NO data on the webpage]
[You certainly can load the e-motors and/or generators easily to 2 or 3 times rated power, question is just for how long! In E-racer circles, from RC scale level to full-size, e-motors get regularly overloaded to 2-3 times nominal rating, but only for seconds at a time - there is even lists on how much cooling time you need in specific installations before you can "boost" again - same applies in reverse (re-gen braking...) - well, if you need more about this, please help yourself via google..... but if you never even heard about this - well here you go!]

Wrightspeed-TED clip: Again - I did never say that he is wrong. He is not. All his data is correct. BUT out of context. IF turbines are the solution for the road it would have happened long time ago - basic technology is not new and the technical difficulties and issues are known. The detail is not in the complexity or vulnerability of piston engines, but in the inherent cost of turbine production and fuel-efficiency. Again - you need proof, google is your friend! Oh, sorry, Safras - you are not the one that now needs proof for any and all statements of general knowledge....

FACT is that the advantages of turbines in aviation do not translate to advantages on the road, even if the turbine is specifically developed for a road-vehicle. If you go to run it just as a constant speed powerplant it actual works, but so does a Diesel-gen-set and it does it at better fuel efficiency and lower production cost at the disadvantage of being a lot heavier. In the road applicable power ranges, it seems the weight difference is of no concern to the vehicle producers - overall economy of the product is better with piston engine produced power (direct or via gen-set).

As a note - Aviation piston engines ALSO do NOT adapt well to road applications - they are not efficient at all in that application (I think there were a few attempts with Lycoming engines, but they where too thirsty after all)

Wrightspeed is trying to get turbine efficiency down into a power range where it is increasingly difficult to maintain the same values as with turbines in higher power ranges - all for technical reasons. After all he is not the first one who tries.

In a previous post I showed that the tendency is actually on the opposite - piston engines are making inroads into turbine territory (power/efficiency/reliability vs. weight) in aviation.

Even in specific marine and stationary turbine developments the tendency is to go back to diesel engines.
When Super tankers ran Steam Turbines, a few where built with Fuel-turbines, today they all run Diesel engines again - the weight difference is immense, and still the Diesel wins - in a Super tanker engine weight is of no importance......

And one MORE time - I do not ridicule Wrightspeed, I just hope he does not get bankrupt over his dream, hopefully he finds the breakthrough - though I doubt he will.....

Batteries - YES, with the LIMITED info I have so far, I favor a huge battery bank - my enthusiasm for this was sparked by the attempt to run a 1000+km tour with the bus, if they pull it off, well FOR ME that would be the way forward FOR A BUS (....and FOR ME a mobile home and/or big Explorer is a fancy bus after all) - I NEVER SAID ANYWHERE that is the way for longhaul trucks!! Obviously the payload weight differences between trucks and buses are substantial, but I hoped this would be obvious to the seasoned thread reader....

[...here a quote from an article on reddit: "Reading the article, it also took over 36 hours to travel 1000km, which at proper highway speeds would only take 12 hours. So it's reasonable to assume that they were probably only doing 50kmh constantly for maximum efficiency. But still, if you assume that city driving would have 1/3rd of the efficiency, then it would be quite reasonable for this bus to do 300km a day on a standard bus route with a single charge".]

Did they prove it - yes and no (for me) - going 50 is kind of cheating - but they are on the way!

The idea behind that thought-track is to be able to use a as small as possible powerplant - hopefully (I let others run the numbers) the power unit would be small enough to EFFICIENTLY run the home part of the mobilehome when stationary for extended periods (...am I getting too sarcastic again?).

As a repeat post - looking at present long range truck offerings - 700+hp for 40-42 ton rigs points very obvious to a MOST EFFICIENT power range just at the top of the lower 1/3 of the nominal power rating (for the truck mentioned around 240 hp) - THAT's where, on average, a longhaul truck will spend most of the time.....
One can probably not extrapolate the exact same % to smaller power-units, but the overall tendency is the same.

Now - I believe, if you are developing a technically on the edge new vehicle, with all the energy saving tricks available or around the corner - you should be easily able to get away with less than 50 KW in the very worst case.....If you take the above reasoning (....or rather dreaming) - the ideal power plant would be a 150 kw unit for max efficiency reasons. Of course this will not get you going very fast if you need to rely on this for driving. It should be possible though if you have a battery big enough to cover your "daily driving range". Take 2 for faster charging nearer the efficiency range.
[Battery Tech changes daily - so if the Aussies don't quite make it now, they probably will in a few months]

The Thread-owner dismissed a big bank for different reasons, for MY OWN dream of converting a bus, the main concern will be, to get enough solar and wind installation to be independent longterm, incl. heating and cooking - a huge battery bank only helps. If this train of thought doesn't vibe with you - fine - but I am sure other posters can appreciate the general idea behind this - ....pending battery tech availability (....let's see how the Aussie's do in a few months!)

Again - no hard numbers, I am not up to speed on the formulas for this - however it is a common sense approach idea - I think......

Safas - thank you for "defending" me - Bio, call me what you want, but liking me to extreme-right societies or even Nazi's is a serious low for a person that claims such high intellect as you do! I get upset often enough when it gets pointed out to me that Hitler was Austrian and not German - too bad he was born on the wrong side of the river crossing his hometown. I can somewhat understand the discussion theme in Latin America as it is/was rather remote to the whole Nazi history - just as we are probably somewhat removed to similar occasion from other parts of the world.
However coming from a supposedly educated EUROPEAN is rather harsh - it really shows your thinking and attitude, if you have no other means to express your displeasure!

You may want to re-assess your deduction capabilities regarding personal expression and political/sociological association!

Oh, yes - before I forget, I have been a teacher too and still am occasionally, in probably the most dangerous civilian non-war environment possible - so, please spare me your lectures about that!

Now you are free to ask the admin to ban me from your thread.....

Cheers to all (including the thread-owner...),

thjakits :coffee:

biotect

Designer
Hi all,

I moved things around so that thjakits' post will appear on this page, where it is most relevant.

thjakits:

I simply don't have time for this, so I will not respond to your post above. I need to focus on other things, and I have now more or less said everything that I need to say.

Just one detail. As I thought things through, I realized that I don't want to ask the administrators to have you banned from the thread. I am just not willing to go down that road of "censorship". But so too, I don't want to encourage you further either. So in future, simply refusing to respond to the things that you write seems like the best solution.

In future, I will only reply in response to what you write, if a given post seems particularly worthwhile. Otherwise, if your tone or style of rhetoric rubs me the wrong way, I will simply ignore what you post. That way peace can be maintained on the thread. So please in future do not "expect" any immediate replies from me when you do post; not even if you address a post very directly to me. In future, when I simply ignore your posts -- which will probably be more than 90 % of the time -- please do not ask for an explanation. I have already written all of the explanation that you will ever need. You know how I feel.

I am sorry that I had to write the things I did, and I am sorry for any distress it may have caused you. Once again, I do not think you are a Nazi, or a neo-Nazi; indeed, I have absolutely no way of knowing whether you are one or not. But I do find your behavior on this thread to be very aggressive, authoritarian, and difficult to accept. And that much, at least, I very much felt needed to be said.

All best wishes,

Biotect

Last edited:

biotect

Designer
Hi all,

Once again, I've moved everything around, because I would like for the thread to get back to discussing turbines and APUs: a discussion based on weblinks, information, evidence, and argument. So "turning a new page", the discussion of APU's will resume in post #2101, overleaf.

All best wishes,

Biotect

Last edited:

biotect

Designer
Now that I learned more about [turbine technology], I see that it is not as great as wikipedia made it and that there are a lot of problems with it. I have not dismissed it completely though.

Hi safas,

I'd like to convince you to give turbines -- and aircraft APUs in particular -- a bit more time and consideration, if only because you are still somewhat open to the idea. I realize that it's virtually impossible to find SFC (specific fuel consumption) data for these gas-guzzlers. But even still, even if they are horrendous gas-guzzlers, here are some some more thoughts making a case for why the Terraliner's second, "supplementary" generator should either be an off-the-shelf APU, or a custom-configured generator attached to a very powerful helicopter turbine.

I decided to do a bit of investigating of my own, and was able to track down weight and power-outuput figures, although again, fuel-consumption figures remained elusive. But as already made clear, I am only interested in turbines as a possible way to equip the TerraLiner with a very powerful and yet lightweight secondary generator that might kick in, to provide a big surge of power for an extended period (1 - 2 hours) when climbing extended inclines. And to provide this surge without requiring the TerraLiner to carry a heavy load of batteries.

I think I may have found just the right APU; indeed, it is probably the most advanced APU currently on the market, specifically developed for the Boeing 787 "Dreamliner" -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_787_Dreamliner and http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787/ .

1. Aircraft APUs

In aircraft APUs, the market leaders seems to be Honeywell and Hamilton Sundstrand. Garret and Allied Signal also make APUs for aircraft, but perhaps Garret is now part of Honeywell? For aircraft APUs in general, and explanations of what they do, see http://www.askacfi.com/887/what-is-an-apu.htm , https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-u...-what-happens-to-an-aircraft-if-the-APU-fails , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxiliary_power_unit , http://www.b737.org.uk/apu.htm , https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/apu-unsung-hero-of-the-engine-world-347997/ , http://www.argoturbo.com/blog/auxiliary-power-units-a-look-at-the-apu , http://cel-aerospace.ca/en/aero-engine-test-cells/auxiliary-power-unit-apu/ , and https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw1xe7kQik4n39NZs2nDS4X2ZCpAnV5d . For Honeywell, see https://aerospace.honeywell.com/products/auxiliary-power-units , https://aerospace.honeywell.com/~/m... Nails/APU/auxiliary-power-unit-overview.ashx , https://aerospace.honeywell.com/en/products/auxiliary-power-units/331-hgt1700-apu , https://aerospace.honeywell.com/en/products/auxiliary-power-units/36-series-apu , https://aerospace.honeywell.com/products/auxiliary-power-units/re-100-apu , https://aerospace.honeywell.com/products/auxiliary-power-units/re-100-apu , and http://www51.honeywell.com/aero/com...acecatalog-documents/Flight_International.pdf . And for Hamilton Sundstrand, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Sundstrand , https://hsapps.utc.com/powersystems/ , https://hsapps.utc.com/powersystems/prodindex.htm , http://www.pw.utc.com/Auxiliary_Power_Units , https://hsapps.utc.com/powersystems/products/aps3200pds.htm , https://hsapps.utc.com/powersystems/products/aps2100pds.htm , https://hsapps.utc.com/powersystems/products/aps2000pds.htm , https://hsapps.utc.com/powersystems/products/t62t462pds.htm , https://hsapps.utc.com/powersystems/products/aps1000pds.htm , and https://hsapps.utc.com/powersystems/2190600_web.pdf .

Here is a very handy chart from Honeywell, one that provides useful weight and power figures -- see https://aerospace.honeywell.com/~/m... Nails/APU/auxiliary-power-unit-overview.ashx :

APU Honeywell.jpg

Some of these APUs are positively tiny, weigh less than 100 lbs, and are clearly intended for business jets. But even the larger APUs that have engines in the 1500 to 1700 HP range still weigh just 750 and 770 lbs, or about 350 kg.

I am not certain how to read their electrical output. For instance, the HGT 1700 turbine produces 1700 HP, but only 150 kVA, which I am guessing is merely 150 KW? If so, that's not much better than a Jenoptik which produces 120 KW. They would both weigh the same, 350 kg, but the Jenoptik would no doubt be much, much better in terms of fuel consumption. However, it's important to remember that a traditional function of most aircraft APUs has been to provide compressed "bleed" air to start the main engines. So much of an APU's power output would be directed that way, and their generator electricity outputs are not "the whole story", so to speak. Perhaps they could in fact be fitted with much more powerful generators, especially if there was no need for them to produce "bleed" air?

2. Hamilton Sundstrand's "all electric APU", the APS 5000

This does seems to be the case, because over the last decade Hamilton Sundstrand (which now seems to be owned by Pratt & Whitney) has developed an "all electric APU", the APS 5000. This APU produces no bleed air whatsoever, and is extremely quiet. It uses a 1,100 HP engine, and has two generators driven through a gearbox that each produce 225 kVA, or 450 kVA in total, which I take is something like 450 KW (?) -- see https://hsapps.utc.com/powersystems/ , http://www.pwc.ca/en/engines/auxiliary-power-units ,http://www.aviationpros.com/news/10380690/hamilton-sundstrand-aps5000-apu-achieves-major-milestones , https://hsapps.utc.com/powersystems/prodindex.htm , https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...ctric-apu-starts-at-first-turn-of-the-203129/ , https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/787-special-power-to-spare-209176/ , http://www.utc.com/News/News-Center...y-Power-Unit-undergoes-successful-initia.aspx , http://www.reliableplant.com/Read/25607/Hamilton-Sundstrand-flight-testing , http://www.airframer.com/direct_detail.html?company=111275 , http://www.airframer.com/news_story.html?release=7992 , http://www.airframer.com/news_story.html?release=4765 , http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aPXzVnyRXCj8 , http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-unit-for-boeing-787-dreamliner-58671892.html , http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/267421 , https://www.sae.org/aeromag/techupdate/06-2007/2-27-5-6.pdf , and https://www.pw.utc.com/Content/Press_Kits/pdf/PrattWhitney_Brochure.pdf :

Flight_International1.jpg Untitled-4.jpg sundstrandAPS5000hires.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-2.jpg
PrattWhitney_Brochure1.jpg PrattWhitney_Brochure2.jpg PrattWhitney_Brochure3.jpg PrattWhitney_Brochure4.jpg

450 KW is not 1000 KW, and it is "only" 600 HP. But the image above of a technician working on a APS 5000 suggests just how compact this APU is, and the graphic of this APU describes its weight as just 245 kg, or 540 lbs.

That's quite incredible, if you think about it: the APS 5000 produces about 4 times the KW of a Jenoptik (120 KW), but weighs even less than a single Jenoptik generator (which again, weighs 350 kg). Or recall the weight of the Cummins engine used in a Newell coach, also 600 HP. But it weighs a whopping 1,445 kg -- see post #1963 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...edition-RV-w-Rigid-Torsion-Free-Frame/page197 . Even if the APS 5000 were a gas-guzzler, it might be exactly the kind of secondary generator that the TerraLiner will need, in order to power its way up extended inclines without completely exhausting the batteries half-way up the slope.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

biotect

Designer
CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST

2. Climbing Colorado

So let's imagine a configuration in which the first primary generator, a Jenoptik, contributes 120 KW, the battery-pack might contribute another 100 KW, and an APS 5000 functioning as a secondary generator contributes 450 KW, making 670 KW available in total, to climb a slope over the course of about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. This time, let's use a pass in the Colordo Rockies to "test" things more empirically, and see how things might work out in terms of power consumption.

The best website that I've been able to find so far about particularly challenging American highway ascents, is titled (appropriately enough) “Crash Forensics .com” – see http://www.crashforensics.com/mountaingradecrashes.cfm. The page just referenced provides a very useful list of some particularly notorious mountain passes, and suggests that some of the longer and more challenging passes are “Loveland Pass, Berthoud Pass, Monarch Pass, and others….. twenty to thirty miles long from base to base". For very detailed descriptions of some of the worst passes, see http://www.crashforensics.com/monarchpass.cfm , http://www.crashforensics.com/lovelandpass.cfm , http://www.crashforensics.com/eisenhowerpass.cfm , http://www.crashforensics.com/berthoudpass.cfm , etc.:

Untitled.jpg

3. Monarch Pass

I decided to use Monarch pass because the road here is Route 50, a major highway that runs clear across Colorado, and indeed, across the entire United States – see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50_in_Colorado , http://www.mesalek.com/colo/us50.html , http://www.route50.com/history.htm , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarch , http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/3778-monarch-pass.html , http://www.keno.org/colorado_web_cams/monarch_pass_cams.htm , and https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/M...a48ac2ca0!2m2!1d-106.3255801!2d38.4966636!1m0 :

US_50_map.jpg LoneliestRoad_09_07_Colorado.jpg Untitled2.jpg

Although the summit of Loveland Pass is nearly 12,000 feet, and although Loveland is reportedly the highest pass in the world that stays open during the winter, Monarch pass has the dubious honor of being the most dangerous pass in Colorado, with more than one crash on average per week -- see http://www.durangoherald.com/articl...89895/AR/0/AR-701089895.jpg&maxw=620&maxh=400 . Berthoud pass is perhaps more treacherous from the point of view of switchbacks, and the Eisenhower has a 7 mile stretch with a 7 % grade -- see http://www.crashforensics.com/berthoudpass.cfm and http://www.crashforensics.com/eisenhowerpass.cfm . But Monarch Pass also has 6 % reported grades both east and west, for 10 miles and 9 miles respectively, and in places 7 % grades are also reported.

Here are some photos:

112868917.jpg MonarchPassColoradoUSA_Pano_SeanButler_CreativeCommons.jpg 70309_50_Monarch_Pass2s.jpg
DSCN3692_monarchcrest_e_600.jpg monarch-pass3.jpg monarch-pass-colorado1.jpg

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven