The "Az Crew" Thread

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Hey Guys,

I just discovered how awesome Monteros are this weekend and am now in the market for one. I live on the Tempe/Mesa border and look forward to wheeling with you.

I'm not really interested in the Sport because I like having a spare tire rack on the outside of the car and a rear locker is a must. In case I can only find a 3.5L without the factory locker, does anyone know how difficult it would be to put in one from a donor vehicle? I'm pretty handy but have never worked on diffs before so if you can estimate shop time on that job that would be a nice "worst case" estimate for me to have in case I decide to pay a mechanic to do it.

FYI - I went to Pick A Part in Mesa today and they have two 91 Monteros. And looking now at their site, it says they also have a 98 and a 01 sport but I did not personally see them (I was looking for some Ford parts so I might have missed them).

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Good write up Shovel! Thanks for showing us that area.

Sonicmasd, putting a locker in a Montero from another Montero is almost a 3 hour job consisting of jacking, unbolting and bolting in parts. Typically costs under $200. If you opt to pay a mechanic i would expect to pay about $500 not including your donor parts.

Toasty

That's who Pat and I bought some of our diesel parts from, pretty good seller.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Jorge has (finally) started on the tear-down/rebuild on the front suspension/steering/brakes/driveline on his 89 V-6. The parts have been sitting on my "dining room" table for months and the time has come. Soon there will be an Aussie Locker, new CV boots, tie rod ends, Pitman arm, idler arm, lower control arm bushings (front only, because the rear ones suck), upper control arm shafts, ball joints, wheel bearings and races, rotors, rebuilt calipers, brake pads, soft brake lines and manual hubs. He cleaned and painted the SR wheels today in a dark grey metallic-like wheel paint in preparation for the new BFG A/T second gen tires in 33x10.5/15 he has been storing here as well. This one's going to be fun for me, since I don't have to turn a wrench, just tell him what to do.

In the meantime, I decided I'll try to punch out the pre-cat from his '86 SWB, install the new distributor Inc.X donated to the cause for the almost-sweet-running 2.6, check the valve lash settings, since it has a mechanical head, and try to figure out if we can get it to pass emissions. It will need a new catalytic converter, but that's what llantera/muflores shops are for. That one's been sitting too long and those P225 tires aren't doing anybody any good just sitting there. The truck needs to fly through the air, Evel Kneivel-style.

Progress, should it happen, will be reported.

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I'll let you have a sweet set of diff gears out of my '86 Montero that came with the 2.6 and a three speed auto. I think they're 3.90's or something. And I'm willing to bet you don't want 'em. I sure don't.

John B.

Toasty

Will you be driving a Montero though? Maybe we wheel that weekend.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Good call, not interested in those at all. :xxrotflma

Will you be driving a Montero though? Maybe we wheel that weekend.

Yes but i won't have a ton of time on my hands. :( If i come through, social time would have to be limited to a meal and maybe an hour or so of telling lies.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Hey guys,

Found a Gen 2.5 SR with 160k and the owner says it uses oil and he tops it off more in summer than winter but that it does not smoke. He also says that he has no idea if the timing belt was done by the previous owner.

I havent checked out the vehicle in person yet but most likely will want to have the engine work done just in case, so i guess that includes: the water pump, timing belt, tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, cam seals, front main seal, valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, valve lash adjusters, spark plugs and spark plug wires, crank pulley bolt and washer just to name a few.

I dont think this is something i want to attempt so 1. Any recommendations on who to hire and 2. Any estimate on labor hours and parts cost for all this?

Thank you

PA_JERO

Adventurer
I'm down to meet up for a meal somewheres. Just let us know swank.

As for all your work sonic, I would recommend the dealer if your gonna pay any shop to do it. Or you could live dangerously and do it all yourself the right way. Tons of knowledge here from this group, I'm sure we could help guide you through it. Or for a case of dew and some food supplied I would be willing to help. Think about it.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
As for all your work sonic, I would recommend the dealer if your gonna pay any shop to do it. Or you could live dangerously and do it all yourself the right way. Tons of knowledge here from this group, I'm sure we could help guide you through it. Or for a case of dew and some food supplied I would be willing to help. Think about it.

Thanks Pa_Jero, though if someone did help me out I'd give em a heck of a lot more than food and drink!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk