The Great Camp Chair Debate

Honu

lost on the mainland
that's awesome!

i will be switching to these chairs, too... at least, i will go to REI and try them out.

the price is a bit higher than i would like as i need four.

i figure after i play with one at the store i will buy two now and then go back and get the other two :)

joel

considering when I looked like you at 4 of them :) I was looking at Kermits with the extensions and YIKES something like $700 for the family so these are cheap
also I am stoked to have all my chairs only weigh about 7 lbs and pack in a small size than one chair I was using ! that alone is HUGE
granted we pack one of those legless chairs which doubles up as a ground pad when getting the kids dressed and such

take one of those legless chairs ya know the pad kind and loosen up the straps quite a bit and slide the part you sit on down your back while sitting in that chair then your head rests against the part your back would normally be on ? hope that makes sense then just adjust the straps !
yeah kinda a strange work around but I decided if I am planting myself to really relax it works amazing well :)

so the height thing I am still thinking about wondered about some PVC tube you could slide the current legs down into and near the bottom of the PVC just keep it from spreading some with some good webbing material maybe ?
the other thought was just put our camp pillow in the chair then fold up a jacket to sit that couple extra inches :) ? might try that see if its tall enough for eating height

we have 2 of those other short REI chairs that fold out quickly but they are quite low straight arms and take a bit more to get out of so the Kermits might have been a touch low on the low end ? again without trying just going off other chairs I have had that are low
at 49 and really bad knees from my youth beating on them so hard :) hahahaah I amazing can just stand up out of these chairs unlike the low REI or the other lower models

I have thought to cut 3 inches off the IGT legs to customize our table :) the wife is not for me cutting up our expensive IGT legs though :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
Another endorsement for Strongback chairs, very much worth the price!

for a larger chair the ALPS mountain one I had pics of a few above is very comfortable also :) my downside to these types is the pack size and weight when I need 4 of them

I like my Alite Mantis chair a lot. Not a great dining chair, but excellent for just hanging out.

have to wonder if it was not for the mantis chairs would REI have figured out their new chair ! seems they were the originator for sure of that style !

bet the mantis would be a good low leg 330 or whatever they are IGT height though :)

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
just ordered the Snow Peak Low Beach Chair
also a Big Agnes Helinox to compare to the REI Flex Lite
our kids like the Flex lite so figure trying out the helinox will be a way to get a second one and see if the suposed 1 inch more width makes any difference ? read when comparing the REI to the Heliox the Heliox is a touch more comfy

issue after using the flex lite for a week (edited this on the 26th) is the back is a bit low to really lounge comfortably but its a nice sitting doing thing chair still

Update:
Helinox chair came in
Nicer than the rei model IMHO

Will update with some pics and why :)

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
Big Agness Helinox VS REI Flex Lite

OK since these two chairs are very similar there are also some differences
decided to order both and see what I thought :)

basically the Helinox wins IMHO its more comfy my wife and kids also thought so
the helinox is about 1 inch wider
the corners where the poles go in the Helinox has a stiffener inside them and they are larger so the poles do not dig into your back !
the shape or cut of the fabric is also different the Helinox being a bit more conforming and also allows you to sit in the chair a bit more making the back a bit longer which is much more supportive !
the Helinox I think says 330 lbs vs the 250 lbs of the REI
the Helinox bag is also a bit nicer IMHO again :)

updated on Jun 4th 2013 with two still pics of the chairs :)

one to show the seat cut and you can see how much more back length you get out of the chair shape
helinox-rei-seat.jpg

and the width the helinox is wider about 1.75 inches wider
helinox-rei-width.jpg

Last edited:

JAvendan

Observer
thanks, honu, for the review!

an extra $20 going to the helinox equals an additional $80 to me... hmmmmmm.

i need to try out the flex lite at REI and go from there.

joel

Honu

lost on the mainland
thanks, honu, for the review!

an extra $20 going to the helinox equals an additional $80 to me... hmmmmmm.

i need to try out the flex lite at REI and go from there.

joel

hope it helps
you and me both :) its $80 more or 4 REI for the price of 3 Helinox about :)

I would say do what I did buy both and then compare back and forth side by side
for me the extra back height is the main thing and a touch wider is nice but its mainly the back height ? that I like better if I had to say 1 thing WHY I like it better

comparing with my new snow peak low chair that came in today also :)
debating pack size vs comfort going to sit in the Snow Peak tonight for a few hours and see but I think it might go back ?
also I have a mod I am working on to put a head rest on the flex lite or the Helinox that I think truly makes it a chair you can fall asleep in :)

JAvendan

Observer
where did you order from, honu?

i found them on amazon but from resellers other than amazon and limited quantities.

i did find them on the kohls www site available via web order only and if you have their charge card, i do, you can get at least 15% off... up to 30%.

thanks again.

joel

Honu

lost on the mainland
Summit Hut from Amazon they warehouse in AZ and I got them next day free :)

the Kohls thing is a good catch :) did not see them there before :)
just ordered 3 more from them and got %15 off using a regular CC with a code I found online
dont have a kohls card :)
says I will get them between the 7th and the 10th

funny I was going to get one red one green and two black but also remember last few trips the kids arguing over two chairs we have that are the same chair dif color which color they wanted which did not end up happy :) so all blue black no more I want the RED ONE !!!!!!

JAvendan

Observer
nice!

i'm going to order the four shortly.

i wanted to have the different colors... but, hey, i am happy to save at least 15%!!!

joel

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Honu, are you considering any kind of counseling for the gear addiction? Does the FedEx guy and the UPS guy get along when you invite them over for Christmas dinner? I know you gotta be friends with those guys by now :friday:

Honu

lost on the mainland
Honu, are you considering any kind of counseling for the gear addiction? Does the FedEx guy and the UPS guy get along when you invite them over for Christmas dinner? I know you gotta be friends with those guys by now :friday:

Hahahah no addiction just denial :)
Dont now the fedex guy ?
The UPS guy is cool though :)

Tough to try and compare things when nobody has them in stock to try ? So amazon prime and I am set :)

Figure there are three lower chairs that pack small and are quality chairs
the rei Flex Lite and the Helinox and the Kermit but it was to low in its low position :)
The snow peak 30 is nice but more regular folding chair size

Glad I tried all 3 out :)
Now I know for sure what I like :)

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Stopped by our Rei yesterday and was pretty surprised at how small the flex lite chair was. Seemed like nice quality but not what I was looking for. Definitely packs small!!! I like the design but want something bigger. Brushed aluminum with an interchangeable canvas or mesh cover. Maybe I should design a chair.:)

Honu

lost on the mainland
yeah its small :)

do think that is why I like the Helinox better not that its large but its larger :) kinda like being the second smallest is a better way to put it

the Snow Peak Low Chair is canvas ! really nice canvas and comfy just a bit closer to regular pack size chairs and aluminum with some bamboo and have to say its a really nice looking chair with really nice lines

for me it also comes down to a balance of size and weight when we have to have 4 of them
also lounge comfort which is higher priority than sit and eat comfort :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk