The importance of a rear dust light in the southwest.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Seems like red would be the color that corresponds to a rear/side conspicuity marker. Yellow would be for a front/side marker. That's at least the way the DOT views it so you can know which direction the oncoming vehicle is pointed. Although, construction equipment have a yellow blinking or rotating marker on top so that may indicate sufficiently if centered on the vehicle. White seems bad on the rear since that would be mistaken for a reverse or headlight.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
I'll bet amber cuts through the dust cloud and tops the visibility of red. Just a guess but it's based on amber/yellow cutting through dense fog.

Robert Bills

Explorer
JaSAn said:
Some questions for you experienced off-roaders.

What candlepower or lumens would be minimum for a good dust light?
Would a projection or driving light give better illumination than a fog light? Does diffraction play a role in spreading the light out?
Is higher better? Centered? Left side?
What color is better? yellow? red? White is out (rear facing white lights outlawed in Minn. for forward moving vehicles on public roads).

I looked up the rules for desert racing "chase lights" aka "dust lights" to see if there are any technical specifications as to color, lumens, wattage, etc. that might provide guidance for those of us who don't race but want to increase visibility in dust, snow, fog, etc. for visibility/safety purposes.

Mojave Off Road Racing Enthusiasts (M.O.R.E.) specifies an amber chase light but provides no specifics with respect to brightness, wattage, etc.

Best In The Desert Racing Association/American Off-Road Racing Series requires all vehicles to have one rearward facing amber light which must "equal at least a 55 watt light" and be either a 3" round or model 60 oval shaped light and mounted at least 48" from the ground. A prior version of this rule required at least a 40 watt light.

Arizona Off-Road Promotions (AZOP) requires one amber dust light with a minimum output of 35 watts and maximum output of 100 watts.

SCORE International Off Road Racing requires all four-wheel vehicles to have a rearward facing amber colored light at least 3” in diameter and DOT approved. The bulb must be 25 to 55 watts, or LED with equivalent lumens as long as it has a amber colored lens. The lens must be coated deep amber, no other color coated lenses will be accepted, including clear. Light must be mounted at least 48 inches off of the ground.

Southern Nevada Offroad Enthusiasts
(SNORE) requires a rear facing amber light but does not specify wattage/lumens.

National Off Road Racing Association (NORRA) requires one rear facing amber light of at least 3" in diameter or 7 square inches. There is no mention of minimum wattage/lumens.

There are references on the Interweb to recent changes to the rules for Baja racing now requiring all rear facing lights to be oval style of nominal dimensions 6.5 in by 2.25 in. or round style of nominal 4" diameter; bar style lights are prohibited. Incandescent versions of these "60 series" oval lights use a single 3157 bulb, LED versions usually have 44 LED'S. Race teams are complaining that neither version is bright enough.

I dug into my parts box for a suitable dust light and came up with an IPF-816H 3" x 5 1/2" rectangular backup light that uses an H3 55 watt Halogen bulb. All I have to do to make it suitable for a "dust light" is tint the lens an amber color with a few coats of Duplicolor Metalcast Yellow followed by some clear coat, or purchase an amber H3 bulb from Amazon or candlepower.com. [Yes, I know that Daniel Stern doesn't believe there are any good amber H3 bulbs on the market, but this is for a dust light rather than headlights or fog lamps.]

ipf816_1.jpg

ac_06_pattern_1.jpg

I am going to mount the light to a tab in the center-rear of my roof rack (where the Rubicon Trail "gold miner" is currently located), 75" from the ground, where it can be set at an angle to do triple duty as a dust light/work light/auxiliary backup light.

DepHep%20Roof%20Rack%20Basket%20with%20Breedlove%20antenna%20mounts%20and%20Rotopax%20cans.jpg

sargeek

Adventurer
For on road use - I would suggest that one gets an official "Rear fog light" - mounted on the center line and the left side of the vehicle on the bumper.
For off road use - I would think an amber "dust light" would be the best.

So in my way of thinking - install the rear fog light with a "ON-OFF-ON" switch: Position 1 turns the "rear fog" light on; (Technically - head lights, and fog lights are supposed to be on before this comes on); Position 2 - Off; Position 3 - In this position, rear fog light is connected to the CMHMSL to act as a super bright brake light for use in extreme conditions.

Dust light - I would use an amber LED such Whelen TIR3 from emergency vehicles. These are super compact lights that would server the purpose. Again - you could get fancy and and a double pole switch - Position 1 - steady burn; Position 2 - Off; Position 3 - Flash. Again this would allow some flexibility in what you are doing.

One of these would solve all your problems and is EXPO Sexy: https://www.rlbstore.com/store/?model_number=RLB361-B - For $135 is not super crazy expensive.

DaveInDenver

As near as I can tell having an amber or yellow rear facing lamp in Colorado may be OK. But it's not necessarily road legal to have anything other than red pointed backwards unless they are turn indicators in all states. It's kind of confusing, though, as I read through the Colorado regulations with the benefit of coffee yet. Dull.

My point is that most of the places we drive are actually county roads so the rules still apply. Whether anyone is going to care if you have a rear facing red or yellow light is highly debatable.

Last edited:

kmlacroix

Explorer
Unless one is racing in a sanctioned event, that has it's own rules for lights, slow down so you can stop in enough time not to hit the vehicle in front of you. Legality aside, it is a good idea to be able to be seen, and think it is a good idea for a rearward facing light that can be more easily seen through dust.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've spent plenty of time in the deserts (Mojave Road, Moab/Comb Wash area, DVNP, across Nevada, Black Rock Desert, etc) and can't think of any time such a light would have been of value. I mean, if you can see the big cloud of dust in front of you from a vehicle, why are you going to crawl up behind him and try to get close?
But then again, I don't like driving in dust clouds, I'd rather hang back and wait for the dust to dissipate so I can see where the hell I'm going. I'm funny that way. :rolleyes:
The "need" for a "dust light" seems to be right up there with those other "needs" like snorkels, winches, 35"+ tires, front lockers and all the other things I've somehow managed to be able to venture into the desert without for the past 25 years or so. ;)
The rear facing fog light is actually a good idea if you live in an area that gets heavy fog, like the Northwest or the Southeast/Appalachians. I'm surprised more vehicles don't have those, I think the only ones I've seen that come with them from the factory are some of the Audi AWD wagons. Given the thick, dense fog they get in Germany I can understand why Audis have those lights.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I think its funny, that the forum which obsesses over "campsite perimeter security" and safety is generally a guiding principle, would ridicule the idea of a dust light simply to allow you to be seen by other vehicles.

It ahs nothing to do with you driving in someone elses dust cloud, that is your choice whether you do or not.

But someone else may end up in YOUR dust cloud and a rear facing amber light could greatly improve YOUR OWN safety in such a situation.

Cripes.

sourdough

Adventurer
rear fog light

PO ordered this Tiger CX with a red LED rear light(lower left rear bumper). On/off switch on dash and it’s as bright as a brake light.
IMG_0791.jpg

DaveInDenver

I think its funny, that the forum which obsesses over "campsite perimeter security" and safety is generally a guiding principle, would ridicule the idea of a dust light simply to allow you to be seen by other vehicles.
I don't think anyone is disagreeing that it's a minor addition with safety upside. I'm considering adding one, the fog and snow visibility convinced me.

I just don't know which to add because our state vehicle code seems to indicate picking the wrong one is a class B infraction. It sound like to me that it must be amber to red color, they don't want it being white. But I also read that turn indicators may be yellow and that rear markers and illumination must be red.

So I'm inclined to pick red as there is no question that it's acceptable on the road and since off highway there's no hard-fast rule I'm deciding to avoid a ticket from the State Patrol.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I don't think anyone is disagreeing that it's a minor addition with safety upside. I'm considering adding one, the fog and snow visibility convinced me.

I just don't know which to add because our state vehicle code seems to indicate picking the wrong one is a class B infraction. It sound like to me that it must be amber to red color, they don't want it being white. But I also read that turn indicators may be yellow and that rear markers and illumination must be red.

So I'm inclined to pick red as there is no question that it's acceptable on the road and since off highway there's no hard-fast rule I'm deciding to avoid a ticket from the State Patrol.

I don't think you can go wrong with red (as long as it is steady). Some European models sold into the US market actually have rear fog lights (I remember that my Range Rover did).

The amber rotator I have on the back of my Fuso is in a grey area (legal in my home state of North Carolina, technically not in some others), but I've never had anyone hassle me for increasing my visibility especially when moving slower than the bulk of traffic.

Clutch

<---Pass
As near as I can tell having an amber or yellow rear facing lamp in Colorado may be OK. But it's not necessarily road legal to have anything other than red pointed backwards unless they are turn indicators in all states. It's kind of confusing, though, as I read through the Colorado regulations with the benefit of coffee yet. Dull.

My point is that most of the places we drive are actually county roads so the rules still apply. Whether anyone is going to care if you have a rear facing red or yellow light is highly debatable.

I would prefer amber, as I see it as a caution color that most road work or assistance vehicles. Also like amber turn signals over over red, I find them easier to see...amber/yellow pretty much is universally know for caution rather than stop.

Would be nice if amber turn signals were mandated.

It ahs nothing to do with you driving in someone elses dust cloud, that is your choice whether you do or not.

But someone else may end up in YOUR dust cloud and a rear facing amber light could greatly improve YOUR OWN safety in such a situation.

Cripes.

I don't think anyone is ridiculing a dust light. It is great idea, though flashers do the job just as well. Think most are appalled by the OP's irresponsible off-pavement actions and suggestions, and his "get out of my way, I can't slow down or I'll wreck" attitude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz