The OFFICIAL Overland Expo EAST 2014 Thread!

Maxcustody

Explorer
The OFFICIAL Overland Expo East Thread! Weekend Passes NOW AVAILABLE.

So excited about going....just checked my calendar, I am Seattle Washington until Friday. It is a 7 hr drive for me from VA when I get home. I can park in a rest area until Saturday morning I guess

Just read camping rules.... From what I understand no arrivals after 7 pm. That is understandable, I would not want someone rolling in at 1am like I would be doing.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vasily

Adventurer
Totally new to overlanding. taking my wife and dog to the expo. I think it will be her first time camping.

Here goes nothing!

hansrober

Adventurer
We signed up early but drug our feet registering until a couple of nights ago. The advanced driving terrain management class and the vehicle marshaling classes were full with waiting lists. These two were the only waiting list classes I saw at the time. The wife and I both had no problem filling our schedules with interesting classes. In fact I am afraid they had more listed than we have time to do!
For anyone that has registered for the package recently; how full are the classes?

I have been waiting on my truck to sell before registering but as time gets closer I think I am just going to use my credit card so I can go ahead an get it down. I can't find anything on the classes and wondered how many classes were full up and unavailable now? If most of the good ones are full then I will lean towards the weekend pass and not the full experience package.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Just read camping rules.... From what I understand no arrivals after 7 pm. That is understandable, I would not want someone rolling in at 1am like I would be doing.....

Thank you for understanding!

The OFFICIAL Overland Expo East Thread! Weekend Passes NOW AVAILABLE.

We signed up early but drug our feet registering until a couple of nights ago. The advanced driving terrain management class and the vehicle marshaling classes were full with waiting lists. These two were the only waiting list classes I saw at the time. The wife and I both had no problem filling our schedules with interesting classes. In fact I am afraid they had more listed than we have time to do!

Thanks for the info!

Just registered.

Last edited:
Another quick question. On the wait list for a long class on Friday (recovery w/o winch) and was wondering if I could list an alternate or take another class if that one doesn't open up? Couldn't find anything about this in the emails or .pdf.

hansrober

Adventurer
One more question please, My wife really would like to sign up on the waiting list for one of the field marshaling courses. Is there much chance that those classes will be expanded or was it a better bet to go ahead and register for her alternates (which she did)?

swduncan

Observer
For anyone that has registered for the package recently; how full are the classes?

Based having to be wait listed for two of three of the main courses I wanted, I'd say they are pretty full.

A question on waitlisting - should one put themselves on more than one wait list for a given class if all sessions are full?

Last edited:
One more question please, My wife really would like to sign up on the waiting list for one of the field marshaling courses. Is there much chance that those classes will be expanded or was it a better bet to go ahead and register for her alternates (which she did)?

How did you register for alternates? I didn't see anything on that?

hansrober

Adventurer
How did you register for alternates? I didn't see anything on that?
When we saw our first choice classes were filled up, we skipped the waiting list and picked something else. :). We figured we should probably sign up for our second choice before it got filled up also! This will be fun!
The Expo in Flagstaff had a record crowd this year and I took a few very rewarding second choice classes then. I actually missed a couple of classes because I was having such a good time with people I met camping around me.

When we saw our first choice classes were filled up, we skipped the waiting list and picked something else. :). We figured we should probably sign up for our second choice before it got filled up also! This will be fun!
The Expo in Flagstaff had a record crowd this year and I took a few very rewarding second choice classes then. I actually missed a couple of classes because I was having such a good time with people I met camping around me.

Well dang, already signed up on the waiting list. Oh well, if it doesn't work out then I just walk around and check out the vendors!

Would be nice to know if I was #1 on the waiting list or #28 so I would have a decent gauge of knowing if I would make it in or not.

hansrober

Adventurer
What class were you on the wait list for? Being the first year the Expo is in the East I am sure the response and registration numbers has been great. Limited size classes are a real advantage for students and instructors alike I believe.
You hit the nail on the head with" Oh well, if it doesn't work out then I just walk around and check out the vendors!" I think 99% of the attendants have an easygoing relaxed air about them. The people I met were inspiring! The diversity of rigs and ideas you will see being used in the camping area, from homebuilt to high dollar could be a self guided class on its own! QUOTE=RememberTheFallen;1662313]Well dang, already signed up on the waiting list. Oh well, if it doesn't work out then I just walk around and check out the vendors!

Would be nice to know if I was #1 on the waiting list or #28 so I would have a decent gauge of knowing if I would make it in or not.[/QUOTE] Yes, I could see that being beneficial.

Maxcustody

Explorer
Just registered for weekend pass and camping. I will be there Saturday and Sunday!!!! First event for me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Let me address a few things:

Another quick question. On the wait list for a long class on Friday (recovery w/o winch) and was wondering if I could list an alternate or take another class if that one doesn't open up? Couldn't find anything about this in the emails or .pdf.

The system is automated, so if you sign up for another class while on the waiting list, your alternate is the one you'll be assigned.

This depends on how many people sign up for the waiting list. Email info@overlandexpo to see what the status is.

Based having to be wait listed for two of three of the main courses I wanted, I'd say they are pretty full.

I just looked at the list, and there are dozens of classes left I wish I could take! I can't imagine anyone would have trouble filling an interesting schedule, as Hansrober mentioned.

A question on waitlisting - should one put themselves on more than one wait list for a given class if all sessions are full?

This is another good question for Alison (info@overlandexpo). She can go in and look at the current situation.

Last edited:

4runnerteq

Explorer
Woohoo. Weekend pass and camping Thurdsay thru Sunday.

Leaving out from Western Ky early Thursday if anyone wants to meet up

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk