The Plan...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Well, sorry about this guys.. Update very shortly.. I was back at it again all day. I was hoping to make Moab but a few things including a tooth infection sort of knocked it out for it and even two weeks later it was a still a scramble. So my goal is to take my time and hammer out the last of it, right... Turning into a 6 month project instead of 3 month... Or 6 months of real work, I guess technically a multi year project.. :)

Anywhoo... :)

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
So tonight I attempted to start it and no go. I am a little bummed because it is sort of a big deal and a slight mystery and the worst part is how it is happening. Basically I think I have an interference issue between the clutch pressure plate and the bellhousing. I didn't want to fork down the hundreds more for a Centerforce (the preferred rare performance brand that Advance Adapters uses) besides that it is a 'performance part' not an off the shelf part, and I happen to have a friend's dead Rover in the yard right now due to a Centerforce that went bad in 20K miles. So I bought a OEM/NAPA/LUK brand clutch, but I think with the thicker custom flywheel it is hitting the bellhousing.

So... What is scary is when I attempt to turn the engine it is acting like it is seized. I also couldn't get the starter wheel to stick into the flywheel either but this could also be a symptom of this perhaps... But the engine hasn't been run and rotated easily beforehand even when I was installing the clutch several weeks ago so I know it isn't seized.. Or, that would really suck if it somehow had but I don't see it. It is a conflict between the adapters somewhere...

I have to go to a wedding this weekend in San Diego leaving first thing this morning so no updates to come for about a week or so unfortunately. When I come back I will have to pull the t cases (to also rebuild them due to two leaks :( ) and I'll pull the trans and figure what is going on.

In the next couple posts I'll basically outline all of the last minute relatively notable problems that are currently hampering the truck. All of which are curable of course (I believe) just more work. There is absolutely still no way I could have done either Cruise Moab or the Carbon Neutral Expedition to the Overland Expo with the truck as a result. So this is actually a mixed blessing, it still gives me the time to keep truckin and again finish the truck and do it right. It is just a bummer that it is already the busy season... This basically means I'll have to tackle all the things I wanted to do this spring next spring, which is fine with me.. :)

Since I returned from the Carbon Neutral Expedition (which has also created its own work load) I haven't had a ton of time to put into the truck and I also needed to get some other things in order, including happening to find this FJ62 Land Cruiser that I also just purchased in addition to more web site work (I currently build web sites for a living) and some other matters. So this is why I have been MIA besides that the work I have done is things like electrical, fluid, getting the engine completely hooked up, things that even for this thread are not quite photo worthy...

So sorry about this...

The big thing I wanted to mention that friends have known about but not necessarily you guys is this is the first real time I have now attempted to build a professional display quality vehicle as there are several things on here that as you guys know are pretty innovative.

I have had a long time dream to eventually put a show quality vehicle into SEMA. Much of this comes from that about 12 years ago when I was in college and was hardly learning how to change my oil I had no idea I would/could be doing all of this crazy work that when I first started getting into Land Cruisers would have absolutely blown my own mind. Learning mechanics and fabrication almost became an obsession of mine so this is largely why, despite that SEMA really isn't anything "too special" but it will be a personal milestone for me and at the caliber of vehicle building I would like to be. Also part of this is no one in my family knows anything about cars (my dad seized the engine of his first car, a brand new 1968 Toyota Corolla Wagon, because he didn't know to change the oil) and I am really 'so far' from home and my past that it is actually really something I'm pretty proud of and is really 'me' versus that of my family.

As a result, once this truck started coming together as well as I thought it could, I planned to possibly put the vehicle into SEMA this upcoming fall. Secondly, I had also planned to take the vehicle on the Carbon Neutral Expedition and when I lined up some coverage for it and some coverage at Cruise Moab I knew I potentially had a vehicle that could be considered semi professional and would be worthy of possible sponsorship as well. I had a long list of businesses I planned to do business with regardless, so I created a proposal complete with the long term plan, metrics, and all the other details. It also helped that I had a slew of sponsors in 2005 for my last project and many of them were repeats again. So I sent the overview to all of all of these businesses with, the worst they could say is "no," but I was extremely lucky that about 70% of them eventually said yes.

So, in the thread you will notice several of the listings of different projects seem to 'pimp' particular businesses or products but I want to be clear that I had and was planning to use their products regardless... I don't want to give the impression my opinions were somehow swayed because these products really are as good as I mentioned. But to be clear, the truck is sponsored and I am also still looking to pull several more mostly for possible funding as well.

So anyway, as a result, here is how the truck now currently appears. It is a bummer because the stickers largely take away from the awesome retro styling the truck now has but it is still fairly cool still I think. It also looks really baja-racer-esque which I think is pretty cool... :)

Anyway...

Also the rack is sitting on the roof currently for mock up. It is a used Wilderness Rack for a Jeep.

Attachments

• SM_066.jpg
    SM_066.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 301
  • SM_012.jpg
    SM_012.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 196
  • SM_023.jpg
    SM_023.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 141
  • SM_049.jpg
    SM_049.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 124
  • SM_068.jpg
    SM_068.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 107

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Here is the custom exhaust that came from a local exhaust company called Mountain Muffler. The owner is a desert racer who has an unbelievable yellow Ford 2WD early 90s that is unbelieveable. As a result he was psyched to do the exhaust on this. He hasn't charged me yet but I figure about $300 or so. It is just phenominal, fat 3" that is going to let the turbo spool up very quickly. With the EGR removed, boost controller also disconnected, and the fat 3" exhaust and the big FJZ80 Land Cruiser intake with the air-ram snorkel, this truck should really scream, hopefully, before we even get to the methanol/H20 injection that I will probably install as well.

I love how it is tucked up high and tight particularly on the output. It could potentially get crushed on a big ledge drop off but it is so high that I am pretty happy. I also like that it comes out on the driver's side so I can get a clear visual of any smoke that comes out so I can tune it away (I strongly dislike black smoke/unburnt fuel from diesels).

The first photos also show the mandrel bent piece that I used for the downtube that will also allow the turbo to spool up extremely quickly.

Attachments

• BM_033.jpg
    BM_033.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 48
  • AM_018.jpg
    AM_018.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 45
  • AM_017.jpg
    AM_017.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 67
  • BM_050.jpg
    BM_050.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 50
  • BM_053.jpg
    BM_053.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 42
  • BM_054.jpg
    BM_054.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 47
  • BM_058.jpg
    BM_058.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 82
  • BM_060.jpg
    BM_060.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 46

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Here are other little mods...

The diesel fuel only sticker..

I unfortunately chose to delete the retro 'turbo' sticker because I found these "powered by Mercedes Benz" plaques (Dodge Sprinter :) ) and it happened to place best where the turbo stickers were located. I am thinking of getting another set though to put somewhere.

Also the glow plug switch. It is total overkill (a 40 amp relay would have worked fine) but I chose to use a starter relay to power the glow plugs. When you push the button it illuminates a light that also comes off the relay that comes off the same terminal that activates the glow plugs. Therefore the light illuminates when the glow plugs are actually charging, so it also serves as an idiot light.

And finally Steve Chen got nearly all of the wiring 100% working the night before the Carbon Neutral Expedition so the wiring is nearly totally dialed including all lights working.. :)

Attachments

• CM_043.jpg
    CM_043.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 42
  • CM_041.jpg
    CM_041.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 43
  • CM_008.jpg
    CM_008.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 61
  • CM_061.jpg
    CM_061.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 31
  • CM_064.jpg
    CM_064.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 33

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Some of the problems. Due to the design of the Mercedes adapter it allowed for a couple little issues, none of which I have completely resolved yet. The first is that the Ford starter uses oblong type rotational positioning so they had to install the starter into the adapter horizontally. As a result the solenoid is about 1/4" or less from the inner frame wall.

Second is also due to the starter location that interferes with the Toyota Land Cruiser clutch slave cylinder the adapter kit is designed for. I will instead use the Mini Truck slave with a custom fabricated bracket. It is the same bore diameter but not that long a stroke, but I know if it works with the OEM clutch master works as designed for this kit then the slave should also work perfectly.

Last pic shows the trimming of the adapter that was necessary just to use the mini truck slave. I'll post pics of the actual slave mounted once I make the adapter. At first I welded up on a junk mini truck slave I have but it was ugly and is one of those "custom" parts I would be screwed on if it ever gave out and a slave cylinder is a wear part.

Second to last pic shows the interference the starter also had with the Advance Adapter bellhousing. I noticed this when I had the engine out to weld up the motor mounts, this is why these pictures show the engine out. I had to separate the transmission again at this point and grind the snot out of the inside of the AA bellhousing which is fine and does not compromise strength.

All of these reasons besides the odd metric fittings of this particular engine and the machining are all adding up to why this is the most difficult diesel swap I've done. It would be great in a Land Cruiser also but is difficult in a pickup truck for sure...

Attachments

• HM_008.jpg
    HM_008.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 29
  • HM_052.jpg
    HM_052.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 29
  • HM_065.jpg
    HM_065.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 28
  • HM_067.jpg
    HM_067.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DM_030.jpg
    DM_030.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
First pic shows the glow plug harness I made that is very powerful. I learned this trick from Daryl Noorda the former owner of Cruiser Outfitters in 2001.

And finally here is the engine. Bad picture but the wiring and all of the little bits but it is actually pretty well mocked up and mostly in place with heavy duty zip ties.

Attachments

• HM_091.jpg
    HM_091.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    496.3 KB · Views: 178

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
And here is the rack. Again, it is a Jeep Wrangler Wilderness rack that I will also chop up a hair to make it fit better on the truck. At first I was planning to use a Mule brand rack but it could not be delivered in time and a few other little issues though these are nice racks. I will be pleased with this rack though and this will be neat as it comes together as well including its mounting system. I have mixed opinions about how wide it is, it may perhaps be a hair too wide at least cosmetically but of course it will hold more gear. I will probably leave it as it and shorten it.

This is it for now. Sorry for not too many updates. The good news is there are now at least another month of updates. I also have some really killer stuff coming for the truck bed and all of the mounting of the stereotypical "expo gear" like my gas tanks, etc. And the vegetable oil conversion, and the gauges/gauge cluster.

thanks,
Andre

Attachments

• EM_046.jpg
    EM_046.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 48
  • EM_048.jpg
    EM_048.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 38
  • EM_069.jpg
    EM_069.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 42
  • EM_070.jpg
    EM_070.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

digitalferg

Adventurer
You are the man Dre!

Sucks about the lil issues, but I'm sure you'll be able to get them worked out.

Definitely looks AMAZING.

-Ferg-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater