The Toyota Land Cruiser Is Coming Back To America

nickw

Adventurer
I bet Toyota strips out the 4runner removes tow hooks and rear opening hatch window. And the LC is the only mid size SUV they sell with tow hooks and rear window that opensšŸ˜†.
Then the next generation 4runner becomes awd crossover that looks like a mash up of the Camry and SiennašŸ‘.
Certainly makes sense - I was trying to explain Toyotas thought process to somebody and simply can't figure it out and can't explain it, but I bet you are right.....new 4runner may be sim to a Bronco Sport or Honda Ridgeline, "light offroad / lifestyle vehicle" while the 250 is the offroad SUV....

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Certainly makes sense - I was trying to explain Toyotas thought process to somebody and simply can't figure it out and can't explain it, but I bet you are right.....new 4runner may be sim to a Bronco Sport or Honda Ridgeline, "light offroad / lifestyle vehicle" while the 250 is the offroad SUV....
The Highlander will grow into a larger non minivan - minivan šŸ‘

jmodz

I disagree wholeheartedly with this line of thinking. You are just describing the RAV4, Highlander, and Grand Highlander. There is a clear place for the 4Runner in the lineup. The LC will start at $55k while the current 4Runner is at $40-45k. They canā€™t just abandon that price point. The new 4Runner will likely be slightly smaller and narrower than the LC, while the base engine is the 2.4T non hybrid. Essentially it is the SUV Tacoma. This would be a similar setup to the Australian market where you have the Fortuner (SUV of the Hilux), LC Prado, and then LC 300 (filled by the Sequoia in our market).

nickw

Adventurer
I disagree wholeheartedly with this line of thinking. You are just describing the RAV4, Highlander, and Grand Highlander. There is a clear place for the 4Runner in the lineup. The LC will start at $55k while the current 4Runner is at $40-45k. They canā€™t just abandon that price point. The new 4Runner will likely be slightly smaller and narrower than the LC, while the base engine is the 2.4T non hybrid. Essentially it is the SUV Tacoma. This would be a similar setup to the Australian market where you have the Fortuner (SUV of the Hilux), LC Prado, and then LC 300 (filled by the Sequoia in our market).
So you are saying the LC Prado (Aus) = the new LC 250? Not sure that jives when the 4runner here = Prado and we have the GX that = Prado.

If you can get a 4runner on a sim platform as the LC250, why upgrade to a LC? The previous reasoning was it was built to a higher standard, was heavier duty, had nicer options....most of that isn't a thing anymore....in theory.

Last edited:

jmodz

So you are saying the LC Prado (Aus) = the new LC 250? Not sure that jives when the 4runner here = Prado and we have the GX that = Prado.
Iā€™m saying that without the 4Runner, where is the BOF SUV that competes at a starting price similar to the Wrangler and Bronco? The Bronco starts at $40k, the Wrangler starts at $36k, and the current 4Runner is $40k (all 4 door models). My point is that they donā€™t need to strip off the tow hooks, off road goodies, or move to a unibody just to fit the 4Runner in the market.

We wonā€™t know about the reliability, durability, and build quality of the new LC until it comes out so I am just showing you how Toyota has already figured out exactly where to place the 4Runner in the market and I doubt any of that will change with the 2025 redesign.

hayde89

If you can get a 4runner on a sim platform as the LC250, why upgrade to a LC? The previous reasoning was it was built to a higher standard, was heavier duty, had nicer options....most of that isn't a thing anymore....in theory.
Comparing the new LC250 to a 5th gen 4Runner or the gx460 is apples to oranges. They share nothing in common other than size. Old prado vs 4Runner and gx notions do not apply to this platform. The 250 has the same drivetrain, frame, wheelbase and running gear as the 300 a huge part of this is the 9.5 inch diff which the 4Runner prado never had. The prados of the past shared little with the 200 which people seem to think carry forward to this new generation.

Youā€™re buying a product that Toyota has deemed worthy of the Land Cruiser badge and is slotted between the heavy duty 70 and the station wagon 300. This is a new ball game for Land Cruiser ownership for both the USA and the world which is carrying back to the roots of what land cruisers are.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You cannot buy any 4x4 Toyota for 40-45k. An AWD Highlander goes for 45-58k at ā€œdealerā€ prices. MSRP means nothing regarding Toyota products. No one is paying remotely close to msrp.

nickw

Adventurer
Comparing the new LC250 to a 5th gen 4Runner or the gx460 is apples to oranges. They share nothing in common other than size. Old prado vs 4Runner and gx notions do not apply to this platform. The 250 has the same drivetrain, frame, wheelbase and running gear as the 300 a huge part of this is the 9.5 inch diff which the 4Runner prado never had. The prados of the past shared little with the 200 which people seem to think carry forward to this new generation.

Youā€™re buying a product that Toyota has deemed worthy of the Land Cruiser badge and is slotted between the heavy duty 70 and the station wagon 300. This is a new ball game for Land Cruiser ownership for both the USA and the world which is carrying back to the roots of what land cruisers are.
I'm not comparing them, trust me I get it - I was asking the question based on what somebody else said. Based on what some others are convinced of I think you may be wrong.....it *seems* that the new Tacoma....and I assume the 4Runner....have the 9.5" rear end and are built on the same general platform. If that's the case, you tell me what the difference will be and why the LC250 is different than a 4runner / Prado mechanically moving forward....it's the question I've been asking all along.

nickw

Adventurer
Iā€™m saying that without the 4Runner, where is the BOF SUV that competes at a starting price similar to the Wrangler and Bronco? The Bronco starts at $40k, the Wrangler starts at $36k, and the current 4Runner is $40k (all 4 door models). My point is that they donā€™t need to strip off the tow hooks, off road goodies, or move to a unibody just to fit the 4Runner in the market.

We wonā€™t know about the reliability, durability, and build quality of the new LC until it comes out so I am just showing you how Toyota has already figured out exactly where to place the 4Runner in the market and I doubt any of that will change with the 2025 redesign.
There is not a big enough price difference IMO, the LC is going to pull all those folks buying higher end 4runners. Can you name another manuf. with that much overlap in basically the exact same niche vehicle? I.e., BOF, 4x4, offroad packages, masculine styling, oversize tires, etc?

I could see the 4runner going to the way of the FJC, more of a lifestyle offroady rig that could compete with a Wrangler / Bronco but I don't see the current 4runner being a competitor of those two now....regardless of price.

Or like I said - a softened up version.

tacollie

Glamper
You cannot buy any 4x4 Toyota for 40-45k. An AWD Highlander goes for 45-58k at ā€œdealerā€ prices. MSRP means nothing regarding Toyota products. No one is paying remotely close to msrp.
Maybe where you live. Come to where I live live. You can get a Toyota for MSRP. No chance on getting a Ford without going over MSRP. The biggest thing I miss about owning a Ford is the Toyota service.

utherjorge

Observer
I had this discussion elsewhere around and online there are plenty of places around the country that are willing to deal on Toyota prices and are not inflating the sticker. You just might have to drive a distance to get that price. Or, don't, and pay thousands more. It is the same with furniture and appliances these days, too.

There are also numerous manufacturers, now and in the past, who continue to shoehorn multiple cars/suvs into a tiny window. Naturally, it doesn't always work. Just look at what Jeep is running into now with their suv lineup: Renegade, Compass, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee (which, supposedly the next gen will have two different wheelbases), and Wagoneers (which already have multiple wheelbases). They're doing it wrong, since the Compass and Cherokee are gutting each other. However, the supposedly massive inventory that they have built up might be a hedge against a coming strike.

I fully expect Toyota to try to slice the pie up like they've done with the Highlander, Grand Highlander, and Sequoia. Each has a job to do and is different enough to do it.

MarcusBrody

It's nice that MSRP is returning. Still not here in Southern Nevada for most reasonably desired models.

I think that's the first time I've seen a calculator default to payments "Every Two Weeks" though. Guess stretching things out to increasing number of years wasn't getting it done anymore in making the number look reasonable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle