Tire Choice Question 2006 Tundra with 4WC Eagle Shell

Lemmy

Apologies up front not trying to beat a dead horse here with another tire question...Long time lurker and I am in a downward spiral of analysis here and hoping someone can chime in…

I have a new to me FWC Eagle Shell model.
Near as I can tell weight is 680 empty and figure another 350 lbs with arb fridge and gear. Plan is to keep it as light and simple as possible.

It is going on my 2006 Tundra Double Cab 4wd, truck has 110k on it and I am planning on keeping for a long time.

I have Rad Flow coil overs going on the front and it has Ride Rite airbags w on board compressor, heavy duty Bilstein shocks and heavy duty Hellwig sway bar in the rear, seems to handle the camper well though have only done one shake down run to a local campground. I am going to get the front suspension installed and see the rear stock leaf packs along with the airbags is sufficient before diving into a new leaf pack.

Camper is going to be on maybe 4 weeks a year at very most, road trips to get to off road areas ala 395 Corridor/Death Valley-nothing hardcore wheeling wise.

I am torn on what tires to put on, can’t find any load range D tires I like and am hesitant to go E rated tires and lug them around for most of the year when the camper is not on, concerned about potentially rough ride and heavier weight but maybe I am overthinking that part of it?

I am thinking C range LT with load rating of 116 should be up to the task, GVWR on the tundra is 6600 and should be under that. Load range 116 is over 11,000 over the 4 tires. I have narrowed down the tire choices to Toyo Open Country, Falken Wildpeaks or BFG KO2's in 285/70/17 going on SCS Rims with -10 offset.

Appreciate any feedback especially from any members not running E rated tires, a few pics of the rig on the maiden voyage, I have wanted a 4WC for so many years and am loving this thing so far!!
Really hoping to avoid have two sets of wheels as it is just one more thing to do when trying to get out the door but I can see the logic in having a second of E rated tires for longer trips and I will have the stock ones sitting here after the SCS Stealth 10's go on.
Thanks
RB

Attachments

• FWC 2.jpg
    FWC 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • Tundra FWC 1.jpg
    Tundra FWC 1.jpg
    804 KB · Views: 7

tacollie

Glamper
If you aren't going to be off-road why not stick with the p ratedtires? The p rated Toyo AT3 is 6 pounds lighter and has a higher load rating than the C Falken or BFG.

If you do get lt tires download a load chart and lower your tire pressure when you don't have the camper on the truck.

Lemmy

Thanks for the replies guys, my line of thinking is that the LT versus P rated tire would have a stronger side wall and would better handle the weight of the camper but the P rates load rating you mention is certainly interesting
The truck currently has P rated Toyo AT II on it and they are fine without the camper but seemed a little squishy with it on, I admit I did not increase with the air pressure when taking it out the first trip which would have likely helped a lot.
I am running BFG KO2’s C range on my Jeep JKU and they have been great, zero complaints on or off road.
I do plan to be off road some, mainly forest service roads, gravel roads in DV which is why I am looking at AT tires.
Contingency plan is full size matching spare, tire plug kit and air compressor, I don’t usually travel solo and do carry when in backcountry.

Lemmy

Per my trusty owners manual the GAWR for the Double Cab is 3760 LBS

Toyota original spec is a 265/65 R17 with load index of 110 S

I think the Eagle Shell loaded up will be around 1000 lbs.

The C rated version of the Toyo AT3 is load index of 116 or 2756 lbs at max psi. The BFG KO2 is also rated Load Index 116

It seems this will allow for plenty of extra capacity or am I missing something here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk