Trump's 03 Tacoma

trump

Adventurist
I am definitely enjoying this thread and your truck - very nice job so far. Can't wait to see the rest.

Thanks... Stay tuned for next month. The build should start to really get interesting. Christmas has provided all the pieces to start the mock-up of the interior build and the funding to make it happen. Now I just need that call from AT.

Sempertoy

Explorer
So when are you going to get out there and test all this bling out? Let me know when you do, I have a new 80 that is just itching to get off the pavement.

trump

Adventurist
So when are you going to get out there and test all this bling out? Let me know when you do, I have a new 80 that is just itching to get off the pavement.

Been getting out pretty regularly. Going to do a short overnighter this coming Fri-Sat... Destination TBD.

pyrate

Rollin' along
Is there any data on if a snorkel restricts the intake? My brother lives in CO at 9,000' and says they run into problems w/ them limiting the air intake as every bend in the snorkel seems to create a tiny bit of restriction and when you are at high elevations w/ thinner air it seems, aka those w/ snorkels struggle where those without don't, to make a difference. Thoughts? Does Safari Snorkel make mention of that?

trump

Adventurist
Is there any data on if a snorkel restricts the intake? My brother lives in CO at 9,000' and says they run into problems w/ them limiting the air intake as every bend in the snorkel seems to create a tiny bit of restriction and when you are at high elevations w/ thinner air it seems, aka those w/ snorkels struggle where those without don't, to make a difference. Thoughts? Does Safari Snorkel make mention of that?

Without any hard data I would guess that is not accurate. This snorkel adds maybe 3.5 ft of length to the stock pluming with ~2-3 bends. It's not exactly restrictive and while the truck is moving it actually works like ram air for the factory box. I would guess that the problems the snorkeled rigs have at that altitude have a lot more to do with extra weight from being more heavily modded in the first place (just a guess.) However, since I live around sea level and have had the snorkel on less than a week... It's safe to say I'm not the guru on the subject. Safari Snorkel did not include any info regarding high altitude. I would recommend sending them an email if it's a concern for you.

pyrate

Rollin' along
Without any hard data I would guess that is not accurate. This snorkel adds maybe 3.5 ft of length to the stock pluming with ~2-3 bends. It's not exactly restrictive and while the truck is moving it actually works like ram air for the factory box. I would guess that the problems the snorkeled rigs have at that altitude have a lot more to do with extra weight from being more heavily modded in the first place (just a guess.) However, since I live around sea level and have had the snorkel on less than a week... It's safe to say I'm not the guru on the subject. Safari Snorkel did not include any info regarding high altitude. I would recommend sending them an email if it's a concern for you.

Thanks. I am in SD as well but we are building a truck for my brother's location. The hard thing about ram air is that at slow speeds there isn't enough forward motion to really consider it ram air. One of the guys he wheels with takes the snorkel off in winter since they aren't really worried about water during that season. I will e-mail SS. Thanks!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I haven't seen any data that backs that up. Looking at the snorkel I'd say it's forcing more air into the motor than the stock intake ever could especially on the road. Look at the snout on the OEM intake that pokes into the fender - it is half the diameter of the snorkel intake.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Fwiw I've spent a considerable amount of time at or above 9k in my SC'ed 04' Tacoma, I've never experienced any air supply issues (rich running) nor has my diagnostic computer ever logged any fueling issues. Could very well be a vehicle specific issue and if high elevations are part of your intended use I would spend some time chatting with your retailer about those concerns but I can assure you it shouldn't be an issue with the 3.4L & the SS170HF.

pyrate

Rollin' along
Thanks. I am in SD as well but we are building a truck for my brother's location. The hard thing about ram air is that at slow speeds there isn't enough forward motion to really consider it ram air. One of the guys he wheels with takes the snorkel off in winter since they aren't really worried about water during that season. I will e-mail SS. Thanks!

I emailed a USA distributor and will let you know what info I get back. Thanks for the feedback.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
LOVE YOUR TRUCK MAN!! omg :drool: I am currently going for a build a lot like this!

I am very curious about your bed rack. What are the dimensions do you know? Particularly the main height that the tent sits on..

Great truck man.

Also what compressor are you running for the lockers??

trump

Adventurist
LOVE YOUR TRUCK MAN!! omg :drool: I am currently going for a build a lot like this!

I am very curious about your bed rack. What are the dimensions do you know? Particularly the main height that the tent sits on..

Great truck man.

Also what compressor are you running for the lockers??

Thanks for the kind words.

I'll PM ya with links to pictures that include measurements of the rack when I can get back to my computer. This rack will be on the market in the very near future.;)

The lockers don't use a compressor at all actually. I use the powertank ARB connection kit and power them with CO2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3