UAV-TD (Urban Assualt Vehicle - tear drop) build

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Take it off, they are junk. Design something that goes through the bumper and drops. Any serious trails those will get ripped off. Heck half of them get torn off on city streets.. Sorry, never have like them on any trailer. Your rear bumper is going to drag, normally on rocks that stick up and hook them. Something removable is better if you can work it. Other than Zuk I have no idea of how to make them better or quieter.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
I think it has to be pinned (or even better clamped) at the end (the part you are holding from what I can see). Normally the further from the pivot point the better however it may be possible to change whatever holds it up now, ie instead of a pin weld a captive nut and screw a bolt into that rather than have a pin all the way through.

I'm not familiar with these stabiliser legs and can't see the mechanism in the pics.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
It looks like they hang down a couple inches below the rear bumper. That part of the trailer is the part that normally hits on rock and things. Drops offs like on Rose Garden hill will crush them, Carvacre they would be gone in the first two hundred yards and John Bull. Any place the trailer wheels leave the ground puts the rear bumper on the ground normally, not bouncing, but going through ditches and the like.

I am very hard on my trailer, as I built it to do the toughest trails, so I may have a different idea about them than you. But I live very close to a Thousand Trails park with a water dip in the road. Those things are laying in the road at least once a week and the black top is scarred beyond belief. short wheel base helps, but becareful when you have a drop off. Take a look at the Video on my website www.aspenXtrails.com of Carvacre Trail. It shows the bumper dragging across a rock that is flat, it drops almost 35 inches there and the trail is like that from start to finish. Another area they will drag is when you head up a very steep incline at the tow vehicles gets about half way up and forces the trailer to squat.

I do not have them on mine, I have seen some great ideas on here for a better application. More like a straight down jack leg with a pin so it rides on the bumper.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Ive seen the ones your talking about. Just hate to have a leg that I need to remove and place everytime I camp. Ive been through John Bull trail a bunch, but not with a trailer though. My last rig was a fully tube buggy I bulit that was fully linked. Ive looked at bal stabilzers legs but they would hang even lower than what I have currently. If I can pin the legs up it will not hang below the frame and wont rattle l. Honestly I dont unhooking from the truck unless Im exploring and its pretty stable soo far.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I am the same, I hate to disconnect it. I built it to use, not be a show palace.

I actually saw one that was attached to the bumper with a pin, and it slid up and down, it was a great idea. I can make one, but doubt I could describe it. But if it is above the bottom of the bumper, you will be fine. It just looked farther down.

I am headed to do the grand staircase next week, I have never been out there, so really looking forward to it. I have to be in St George, Friday, then pull out Tuesday afternoon for Escalante. One week I guess. I put the tailgater system in due to weather, and every thing being closed. I guess it will be a true wilderness run.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Is that area open to the public? I have my death valley trip planned for nov 3rd but was warned that the law enforcement is still being paid to patrol. Hopefully its not a issue with your trip.

I think I figured a solution to the keeping the legs up and from rattling. I'm going to give them a shot and if I have any issues it will take me 5 min to remove them. If I was to build another one I have a ton of ************** ideas. Lol

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
If I was to build another one I have a ton of ************** ideas.
It's always the way, new ideas, new technology, new products and new skills learned. I'm about to start my 3rd build and it will be the "ultimate", until I get more ideas :)

jim65wagon

Alright have a minor issue any suggestions? The leg rattles like crazy.
vequ8e5y.jpg
heju8ahy.jpg

We put these Fulton drop leg jacks on the front of our teardrop.

We found that with the wheels further back on the Benroy style trailer, the back was stable at camp. The front was shaky with just the wheel jack holding it up, and in some camping situations it wasn't tall enough to level the trailer and we'd have to add blocks under the wheel. The Fultons give enough lift we can raise the front pretty much as high as we want and for sleeping it's rock solid. For travelling the foot raises up to be just above the bottom of the frame.

My personal opinion (others may disagree) with a teardrop that has the wheels towards the back of the trailer, you should add the stabilizers to the front. Of course you could also stabilize all four corners.....

silvrzuki77

explorer
Thanks for the advice and picture. Im thinkin I will hold off on installing the other stabilizer leg and see how it is. For the most part I wont disconnect the trailer if possible, unless Im exploring a trail.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
If your exploring you won't need it to be steady!!!! What I saw was similar to Jims picture, but did not have leveling capabilities. Mine are very evenly balanced, and seldom move, other than the wobbly jack wheel. My next one will have something similar to what Jim has done. Well at least I know when I come looking for you two in the woods, I will be able to find your sparkling selves!!!!!

jim65wagon

If your exploring you won't need it to be steady!!!! What I saw was similar to Jims picture, but did not have leveling capabilities. Mine are very evenly balanced, and seldom move, other than the wobbly jack wheel. My next one will have something similar to what Jim has done. Well at least I know when I come looking for you two in the woods, I will be able to find your sparkling selves!!!!!

When we explore, we set the trailer up in an area as a basecamp, then use the truck and our hiking boots to explore the area for the week-at-a-time we get for vacations. Sometimes we will move the trailer if we find a better or more scenic campsite. We've walked a long way down many "roads" to see if it was passable by the truck or truck and trailer before driving them. Of course, we're usually not in a hurry to get anywhere.

Bob, believe me, that sparkle keeps you from walking face first into the trailer after a "midnight stroll".

Last edited:

silvrzuki77

explorer
Starting to learn alot of cool places that are in death valley that are several miles off the road the road that you have to hike too. Soo base camping is in the near future.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Starting to learn alot of cool places that are in death valley that are several miles off the road the road that you have to hike too. Soo base camping is in the near future.

And that is the reason I decided to go with a trailer too, rather than a single "expedition" vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77