UAV-TD (Urban Assualt Vehicle - tear drop) build

silvrzuki77

explorer
At the moment Im just running a 133Ah battery and charging off the truck. Ill check out that website for solar. All the lights are LED. Im currently running the fridge at 32 degrees to get a gauge of how much it draws over the next couple of days in real life. Most of my jaunts from location are a minimum of 1-2 hours usually but having solar would be awesome. No inverter at this time. I have a usb charger inside thats runs off 12v and my kids little rechargeable dvd player is 12 volt also.

Last edited:

silvrzuki77

explorer
Oh very comfortable sleeping in it! Got down to mid 50's I think and was pretty warm. Best night of offroad camping I can remember lol!

alia176

Explorer
At the moment Im just running a 133Ah battery and charging off the truck. Ill check out that website for solar. All the lights are LED. Im currently running the fridge at 32 degrees to get a gauge of how much it draws over the next couple of days in real life. Most of my jaunts from location are a minimum of 1-2 hours usually but having solar would be awesome. No inverter at this time. I have a usb charger inside thats runs off 12v and my kids little rechargeable dvd player is 12 volt also.

Given that you have that giant roof up top, rigging up a permanent solar panel would be a neat idea. If you went with a decent MPPT charging system, the deep cycle batt would be topped off between trips.

I have a small sized solar panel mounted to the top of the tongue box with a small MPPT controller and that battery has been performing rather well. In my case, the group 27 batt powers up an Espar heater, few LED lights and a Shurflo pump. It amazes me that the battery can fire up the Espar on the coldest of nights (around freeezing or below). This is with the tow rig detached from the Kamparoo.

Anyway, just some random thoughts for your nice trailer!

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Yes I'd add solar, there are flexible and semi-flexible panels that would suit the TD shape if there's not enough flat space on the roof.

Given that you have that giant roof up top
It's all relative I suppose, pretty small compared to what I'm used to. :)

silvrzuki77

explorer
I could run a 49"W x 36"L panel on the roof and run the wiring in side the exterior trim work. Something I will keep a eye on. After a couple of trips I have planned, I am going to finish the kitchen with stainless countertop, drawers and another fridge slide setup. With a few trips sure Im going to learn what works and what doesnt I hope. Mostly organizing the small space.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Well went to pull passenger wheel to fix the cut brake line. Found 2 things. Brake was cut by the u bolt hitting the frame. Need bumpstops now. Second the inside hub seal didnt seal and ejected grease into the brake drum! Soo much for following instructions. Pulled both assembly and pounded the seal into hub shouldnt have a problem now with that. Now to fab some bump stops.

Looks like a great shake down run if that's the biggest of your problems!

There are a few VERY opinionated guys on H4O that is draining the fun out of the site, but for the most part I find it to be the best Hummer site so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Well went to pull passenger wheel to fix the cut brake line. Found 2 things. Brake was cut by the u bolt hitting the frame. Need bumpstops now. Second the inside hub seal didnt seal and ejected grease into the brake drum! Soo much for following instructions. Pulled both assembly and pounded the seal into hub shouldnt have a problem now with that. Now to fab some bump stops.

Bumpstops are cheap and easy: a nutzert, a bolt with washer, and a hockey puck with a recess hollowed out for the bolt/washer. I laughed the first time someone gave me that recommendation, but I have had hockey pucks as my rear bumpstops on the Jeep for 3 years and they still look brand new!
Those are some nice pics! I'm glad the first time out was 99% successful!

silvrzuki77

explorer
On my cherokees, I did the hockey puck bumpstops and they were great! I cant remember but I had some bumpstops that wrapped around the axle and were held in place by the ubolts and they hit the frame that would work perfect if i could find them.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Looking good sir. Sorry I missed the opportunity to see it first hand. Wanted to, but was rushed too from St George. Maybe over the winter.

Glad you got her out to play with. Really looks good with the Hummer.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Okay fixed all the problems that I know of lol.
Repacked and bounded atrailer seals in place. Cleaned all the grease out of the brake drum. Repaired sliced brake line. Fabbed up bump stops.
4udaneha.jpg

1/4 box tube. Soo suspension should be fine now. Any suggestion for trash storage?? I wish I could use a trasharoo. Good thing I can use my dads on his H3, but at the moment just tossing a trashbag in the bed of the hummer. Not ideal. Also anyone have suggestion on door stops that are clean looking? Rv ones have the rod hanging out which I dont like.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
There is one that hangs, and fits into a slot. I am thinking about that on my new door.

I have a flag holder on mine, I tie a knot in an black contractors bag and hang it on the side of the trailer, but I use my trasharoo when it is full, just stuff the bag in it. Keeps the trasharoo from stinking up the place. Keep dirty clothes there in a black construction bag to. Love the trasharoos.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Well went on my 5 day trip to death valley the past week! Here is the group in Rhyolite NV.
ugu7e7yd.jpg

Us down in titus canyon.
a4uhazeb.jpg

Soo all was going great camped at stovepipe wells no pics. TD worked great!!!
Head over the hill in the morning towards Ballarat, pulled over for the group to catch up. When everyone was ready my Hummer's Power steering gave up. No whinning, growling, leaking, or any warn just GONE!!!!! Soo my 5 month plannning gone and no trip :(
Soo no real first trip yet.

NJAdam

Workin' on it...
I just read every page of this start to finish. Awesome build!!! I wish I had half the skills..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77