UJOR Build Thread

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks! It sits a few inches taller than the cab so it's roughly 40-42" tall. The whole rig is 8'9" (top of the fan)

I cleaned all of the lines out before winter but not sure if we did the heater!

derjack

Adventurer
Hey Chris,

by taking a view on the E350 frame video, there's something that would be great to get more info:
Tranny mods for 4x4

I know that you've the kits for 4r100 and the different one for 5r100, or so...
Would be great for us followers to get more details on the needed mods and what is compatible and what's not. e.g. normally you've the tranny that was stock for the engine- but it could be useful to switch to an more reliable 5r100 if the old tranny is done. + a 5 speed gives a better fuel effectively.
What kind of mods must be done in that case regarding shifter/transfer case etc...

You are covering the axle swap mods in this thread really great and of course this is the most important part of the 4x4 conversion but its probably an easy one for you to get us up to speed in this.

For me its maybe more interesting anyway, as I need to swap my E4OD probably. But that's a different story probably, as I've a borg warner transfer case.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Hey Chris,

by taking a view on the E350 frame video, there's something that would be great to get more info:
Tranny mods for 4x4

I know that you've the kits for 4r100 and the different one for 5r100, or so...
Would be great for us followers to get more details on the needed mods and what is compatible and what's not. e.g. normally you've the tranny that was stock for the engine- but it could be useful to switch to an more reliable 5r100 if the old tranny is done. + a 5 speed gives a better fuel effectively.
What kind of mods must be done in that case regarding shifter/transfer case etc...

You are covering the axle swap mods in this thread really great and of course this is the most important part of the 4x4 conversion but its probably an easy one for you to get us up to speed in this.

For me its maybe more interesting anyway, as I need to swap my E4OD probably. But that's a different story probably, as I've a borg warner transfer case.

We show how to make the 5R110 mods in our instructions as well as our install videos. The 4R100/E4OD is harder because the transmission needs to be torn down for the mods. This needs to be done by a pro, we don't do it here at our shop.

Swapping from the 4R100 to 5R110 may be possible but no one has done it to my knowledge. Would require some tricky computer work along with a lot of other custom mods.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I can't stop drooling over this bumper! We took our regular FB001 bumper and flush mounted some 10" Rigids. One is amber, one clear. Looks great! Should be mounted up tomorrow.

10245423_919327961419766_4288111639384963437_n.jpg

And..... The Bronco is alive! Posted a short video on the Facebook page.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
We have a small pic in this month's Petersons 4Wheel & Offroad, they did a big story on oddball 4x4's. Happy to rep the 4x4 van crowd.

1506980_919420228077206_8036139539209112238_n.jpg

PSDCamperVan

That offset of driveline from t-case tail yoke to pinion of rear diff you referenced in frame-off 7.3 build, Chris... Came out uptight outasite, btw
4hw874.gif
... Is that introduced by addition of t-case or is offset that far in 2wd as well? A sterling 10.5 r&p's position on axle has this offset also or must be altered?

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Not sure what you mean? Its lined up straight since the output shaft in the tranny stays in the same location and this is the stock rear axle.

86scotty

Cynic
BTW, I may have missed it, but did you mention who makes your water heater? How is the performance?
Mike

Here's the one I have, which I'm 99% sure is exactly what Chris has.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TXOJQ4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine works great, and I run it off a 1 lb. propane cylinder and it runs a long time on one. I've only replaced the propane bottle once. Keep in mind that I'm at fairly low elevation though. Some have had problems at high elevation with this unit. Here's a thread from someone who has experimented with both and is much happier with the Triton.

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=139530#p139530

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl