UJOR Build Thread

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Edwards 55 ton, really cool machine. We'll be able to punch, shear and bend up to 10" with it. Moving all of the small part production here so we can lower lead times and have more control. Also free up my supplier to make new things like bumpers, etc.

Dayummm son, that's a whole lot of loving from that box! :chef:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Are you using a plasma? If so that is fine, you're just using the jig as a guide. Once the main cut has been made you'll have to trim it a bit and just make sure the sleeves are level before you weld them in. We use a small magnetic level on the outside of the sleeve and tack them.

Sometimes the pass side frame horn will have a slight twist so that may be messing with you too.

Those pics above were of the drivers side. In any case I went out today to give her a go and there was just no way that was going to work. The way the hole-jig was setting the bottom of the hole on the inside of the frame was about a 1/2" lower than where the hole was landing on the outside of the frame. What I ended up doing was clamping it up tight and burning the outside hole. Then I split the whole jig in half (like how it ships) and let it twist around so the inside of the hole-jig lay flat, and burned the inside. Of course that turned out to be something of a waste of time because I had to bust out the blue tip torch anyway and wash away the slugs I'd just plasma cut. Turns out that brace inside the frame was attached to those slugs and they wouldn't come out. Plasma is great for making a cut, but not so great for washing away metal.

And my not quite ready for prime time air compressor is not quite up to the task of running a die grinder continuously so that was slow going, and reminiscent of my drilling troubles, this frame just ate up my die grinder cutters. Fut the whuck is the deal with this frame? I used those cutters on freakin tool steel at my shop, and this thing sent 'em to the scrap bin. Anyway, after a couple hours of work I've got one shackle bushing hole about 85% complete. Smokin!!! :)

350outrage

Adventurer
Fut the whuck is the deal with this frame? I used those cutters on freakin tool steel at my shop, and this thing sent 'em to the scrap bin. Anyway, after a couple hours of work I've got one shackle bushing hole about 85% complete. Smokin!!! :)

You got yerself a fine Amurican Made Frame there, son!! Who would have dreamed it'd be so tough?!:sombrero:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Ken in CA has been building up this killer rig for some time, appears to be in its element!

10995480_939249459427616_1062625586607180930_n.jpg

The wife and I needed some time away from the kids, REALLY needed. So we pointed V4 to the beach with the Sherpa and got to relax for a little while. Great weather, good food, good times with no screaming kids.

1506687_940122956006933_1197154333987785757_n.jpg

gergb1970

Good weekend for camping but our area is still snow covered! Glad you found time to enjoy it.

After some time I've finally made it through this thread. I admire your great work and look forward to the day I have my own.

I like Ken's van and I'm currently looking for the same body style to make into a camper and lift.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Ken's van looks awesome!
Glad you got some time away with your wife, well deserved!

Of course you think so! Similar to Vandiana?!?!?

Good weekend for camping but our area is still snow covered! Glad you found time to enjoy it.

After some time I've finally made it through this thread. I admire your great work and look forward to the day I have my own.

I like Ken's van and I'm currently looking for the same body style to make into a camper and lift.

Wow, over 300 pages, congrats! And thanks!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Got some pics of V5 from the new owner, nice to see it out exploring the desert.

10014541_941322955886933_3252372254405935650_n.jpg

And our next big build has arrived! Another 7.3 getting out 6" conversion, 35's and a ton of goodies. Fresh SMB interior and pop top, this is going to be a drool worthy rig!

11043013_941396855879543_8162908271147123845_n.jpg

skibum315

Explorer
Man, the proportions on those RB passenger vans ... all Ujoint equipped with the low-profile bumper and all (V5, Ken's Van, Vandiana, etc) ... something about that is just so appealing. The contrast of the lighter body, with the dark windows and black wheels/bumpers/grill really works ... at least for me.

devo 1

Adventurer
Wow, there is no end to the sweet vans you put out! They are all different.
I wouldn't mind seeing what you are doing to the Ex. Does your cross over steering work on it?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Man, the proportions on those RB passenger vans ... all Ujoint equipped with the low-profile bumper and all (V5, Ken's Van, Vandiana, etc) ... something about that is just so appealing. The contrast of the lighter body, with the dark windows and black wheels/bumpers/grill really works ... at least for me.

You get it, we get it, all about the proportions and overall setup. Wait till I get V7 done!

Wow, there is no end to the sweet vans you put out! They are all different.
I wouldn't mind seeing what you are doing to the Ex. Does your cross over steering work on it?

Not much to the Excursion, actually lowering it but I need to rack it in the AM and see what will be involved.

Someday I'll have a van!

Sub'd for awesomeness.

Sounds good! Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad