What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Now that we're done talking about me let's talk about the 4x4 vehicle that doesn't have any recovery points on it whatsoever. Not even little tabs on the uniframe rail, there's simply no way to tow it once it's stuck. Let's talk about the SUV that you can't tow with, you can't even add a tow hitch to it without replacing whole exterior (painted) body parts and ripping out half of the interior and having the ECU reprogrammed. It has less articulation than an economy car (a fact I proved in my driveway with diagonally opposed work ramps) and is completely numb on rough surfaces so you can't feel when you're tipping. And how about the electric parking brake that won't hold the vehicle on sharp inclines?

Allow me to provoke your heaviest sigh yet again with the following:

Tow package is a factory option on the KL.

Recovery points are standard on the Trailhawk.

If you had the factory tow package, you could easily add a hitch based recovery point.

Articulation issues were widely known before the release of the vehicle to the sales floor, and are somewhat mitigated by the Trailhawk faux lockers/TC.

It isn't the company's fault, nor the vehicle's fault that you were "pressed for time". So, you were pressed for time and bought the vehicle under crappy circumstance. You still bought the wrong vehicle/trim level/options...

Lucky j

Explorer
Man, I think we are getting how disapointed you are and how much venting you need.

We are not saying that you are the dumbest of us all, we are just trying to enfase ( how do you spell that in english) on how important to take your time when you make a decision like that. You must remember that jeep do make front whell drive vehicule right, they use to make the previous gen cherokee in 2 wheel drive only. Even with the 4wd, the hd tow hook were sold as option with hd braket, but you could get the jeep without them fron dealer.

Subaru use to make their loyal available with a low range, but I do not think that they were related to hd tow hooks.

For the moment, if you get in the ditch and need towing, if they can not find tow hooks, of screw in tow hook (you must have those) they would use a suspension component like one of the a arm.

I'm sorry, but you've justed learn that to be in a hurry to by a new vehicule does not pay. Why were you so much in a hurry to buy it anyway?

That's still about me, which I thought we were done with...

Why would they even make a Cherokee that isn't the Trailhawk in the first place when they're literally as useless for high utility people as a sedan? My circumstances - which I know aren't Jeep's fault - meant that the "right" trim of vehicle simply wasn't available. Eureka has 27,000 citizens and that means the Jeep dealer there has maybe 30 total Jeeps in stock including all models. A Trailhawk under $40k wasn't one of them. A KL with a trailer hitch other than the $43k loaded (and no incentive) TH's, wasn't on the lot period. And I had no reasonable opportunity to research this.

My problems weren't Jeep's fault, which we've been over way way way way way too many times but let's get back to the fact that they made a SUV with low range and no recovery hooks whatsoever, why is that acceptable at all? Even if Margaret the 85 year old hairdresser from Dallas is driving to her bridge club and for some ridiculous reason she bought a 4x4 vehicle with a low range transfer case, and she misjudges a wet corner and slides into a ditch.. now what? What exactly does a tow truck pull on?

Why does it have to be difficult to add a trailer hitch to a vehicle that wasn't originally equipped? Why isn't there any realistic way to use the vestigial roof rail things to haul cargo? How is it acceptable for a vehicle with low range 4x4 to have a parking brake that doesn't actually hold the vehicle at steep angles? How is this ridiculously slow and unresponsive transmission acceptable?

It's a fact that if there was a not-absolutely-loaded Trailhawk, with a price tag under $40k so I had a chance of affording it on the lot when I was stuck I'd have bought it, no brainer, and right now I'd be shrugging and saying "Well, I don't like it much but I don't hate it.." - but instead I'm stuck with a POS that Jeep should never have bothered to make. They should make Trailhawks and KL's-that-look-like-Trailhawks-but-don't-have-the-locker-or-tires-or-skidplates. The existence of the limited trim... it's limited all right. I'd rather have cancer.

Lucky j

Explorer
Life happen, and you've just got hit by it!

Now to grab the ball on the fly, you must have the screw type recovery point. They are not heavy duty, but you must have one in the front and one in the back, I've justed read about this.

I know that the small car tow hooks ( or frame loops) are not made for recovery either. They are consider cargo restarint for when the car is transported, not for recovery.

And I would bet that some after market company will come up with a rear hitch option for it. But it could be like my Nissan X-trail with a 1 1/4" tube. Modified mine for a 2". But I just use it for dd and winter road driving to go ski. The LJ is the do it all adventure rig. My Girls friend as a rav 4 v6 and the hitch is like 6" from the ground. Enough to brake the wheels of bikes on a hitch bike rack.

You now have a pils to swallow. Hope it does not get stuck. ;)

Espo78

Adventurer
Jesus H. Christ stop ruining this thread with things no one cares about. Boo hoo.

Edit: I'll add something relevent. I bought soft doors for my Wrangler today from Amazon's Warehouse deals section. However they sent me the rear set of doors instead of the fronts. I knew the deal was too good to be true at over $100 less than normal price. They also didn't include keys, the weather stripping was ripped and they had obviously previously been installed by someone. The good news is that with a few clicks they are going back to amazon for a full refund.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
Installed the 231 t-case bezel last night, so my shifter is now marked properly. I also ordered parts to replace the leaky rear main seal (and I'll throw a new oil pump and pickup in while I'm in there, it has to come off to do the seal anyway). And now I just have to wait for the new tailpipe to arrive (to replace the current one that is rusting apart) and the new front LCAs to arrive. Once all that's taken care of, it's time to fix the A/C, replace the main rear brake line and figure out what I'm doing about the dying rear axle.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Thank you. Yes, the 2 door is pretty limiting space wise. I pulled the rear seat the day I bought the Jeep, and sold it last year. Just pack things tightly and avoid unnecessary items (still working on this).

Thank you.

I had the bestop saddle bags in my 2 door, I liked them for storage of stuff at the sides. Still use them in my 4 door but not perfect there under my front runner shelf

Mitch502

Explorer
Nice! Glad it worked out! If the ac needs a evap core, enjoy that job, it's a dash puller! Might want to replace the heater core while you're there.

You have a 4.0? It's the rear main on a 5.9 a engine drop to fix, or can it be done like the 4.0 can?

comptiger5000

Adventurer
Nice! Glad it worked out! If the ac needs a evap core, enjoy that job, it's a dash puller! Might want to replace the heater core while you're there.

You have a 4.0? It's the rear main on a 5.9 a engine drop to fix, or can it be done like the 4.0 can?

It's a 5.9. It's a 2 piece seal, so it just needs the oil pan dropped and the rear main bearing cap pulled, engine and trans can stay in the Jeep.

I did the heater core and evap core 2 years ago, this failure is just a pinhole in the metal section of the compressor discharge line. So it gets a new one of those and a new receiver drier and we should be back in business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal