What vehicles make the best Expedition platforms?

MOguy

Explorer
C'mon. That's not even a fair comparison. Pinto would require $$$ worth of custom fab work, while most of 4Runners parts are mass produced bolt-on products. Sliders, bumpers, lift, etc. are all available in-stock today.
_
And "go anywhere" is a relative term, isn't it? For where I go, IFS and probably 32" tires is all I need for my "go anywhere" rig. Others, like you, require SFA and SWB. We've all got different needs. My original point was, for highway driving, 4th Gen 4Runners trump 3rd Gen, while being plenty capable.

Nope just a crazy redneck, a welder and an old half ton 4X4.

It all depends on what the OP means by " but also capable of going most anywhere once off road". I love my 4Runner for what is good for. I love my Jeep for what it is good for. I tolerate my Ford Fusion because it is good for what it is good for.

ILIAN

Adventurer
Get an early 90's G wagon, 33" tires(no lift), fit a winch on the front tow pin bumper, transfer case skid, new fluids, new rubber hoses and bushings, remove rear seats, fit a fridge and storage system, inflate a queen size air mattress on top of everything for sleeping, enjoy it for life. Or you can spend even more for 35-37" tires with lifts, engine mods or swaps, lower gears, steel rear bumper, snorkel, aux fuel tank etc.

jkam

nomadic man
After reading this thread, I think the OP needs to figure out both his needs and his budget.
He goes from a used something or other to a new Colorado diesel, that is a big swing.
My opinion is, if you can afford the new Colorado with the diesel, get it.
You drove one, were impressed etc. You only get one go round, you are retired, have time
on your hands and want to explore. Do it in comfort and style.

Just to confuse you, if you went used, I like the Jeep XJ, 4.0, automatic. I worked survey in Arizona and drove one, it was unstoppable other than flat tires.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Sunpilot has an interesting set of wants. Now that most everyone has recommended what they themselves drive, I have a few observations of my own. I could see the ages of everyone who responded by how much exposure they were ready to accept while in the boonies. This definitely changes with age. I've owned 13 4WD's, some very hard core,

and enjoyed laying on the ground in Canyonlands the year it opened, and letting the bugs crawl on me.....in 1965. If you trace my journey with off-road vehicles, I'm sure it's not much different than your journey, wherever you are on the age continuum. Only the year, make, and model change.

1. As we get older, comfort, especially in the sleeping realm, and access to a real bathroom, looms large. If Sunpilot is in his mid 60's, it won't be long before he won't be looking forward to a night or two up above his rig in a RTT. Damn old prostate anyway! Now the other consideration is sex. No, not what you are thinking, but creature comforts for the (especially older) fairer gender. Trust me, this makes a big dent in your plans if you get it wrong.
2. Choosing a travel/off-road/camping vehicle should take into account how long we think the longest anticipated trip will be. This could vary greatly for a retired person(s). For short, 2 day excursions, almost any old rig will do. My old 1983 Peugeot 505s turbo diesel would be fine. It's easy to imagine one night in a RTT. The longer the trip the more creature comforts need to be. What do excursionists who are on the (off) road for 6 months drive? They drive something self contained and suited to the terra they 'think' will be encountered. What are some of those particulars? If we are talking about a true Expedition Rig,
3. An enclosed, fully self contained, all weather, all season, all surface, all temperature, year-round capability machine. To make that work, you need lots of:a. clearance/approach angle/breakover angle/departure angle. b. all wheel traction aiding devices. c. an efficient, fuel sipping engine that has enough power to propel the fully loaded rig via a bullet proof transmission. d. an abundance of cargo capacity: more than you think you will need. e. a large fuel capacity for those outback days. f. A stout, trustworthy drivetrain, beginning to end. g. enough spare parts to fixit yourself and get you through till the next service center. h. Not too wide, too tall, too heavy, or too long. This one is very dependent on where you think you will go and for what duration.
4. So, what does this do to everyone's list? A lot of the small, open rigs fall by the wayside.
If on the other hand we are talking about a worthy SUV and staying in motels, any of the afore mentioned rigs would fit the bill.
So where is that short list of 4x4's over my long life, you ask? Even if you didn't ask, here they are:
1949 Willys Ute Wagon w/ Chevy V-8, Studebaker overdrive 5.38, SOA. 1965

1966 Toyota FJ-40, ragtop, factory PTO winch, w/ matching jeep trailer. this is in 1967:

1970 Toyota FJ-55, Chevy 307 V8, Warn winch, Power Lok, stuff, including a ConFer matching Toyota jeep trailer.

1973 Jeep J-4000 pick up V8 including a WWII M series jeep trailer
1980 International Harvester Scout II Traveler (118" WB) SOA, factory 3.3L Nissan turbo diesel engine, mid ratio T-19

1982 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler SOA with lots of stuff.

1989 Jeep XJ Limited, rolled it off a cliff in Telluride.
1990 Jeep XJ Sport, replacement. both of these had the Renix (Renault) fuel injection system.
1999 Jeep XJ with lots of upgrades including rear Trac loc and a Detroit True Trac front l.s. Hands down the best snow car ever.

2001.5 Dodge Ram 2 series Cummins,(see my sig below) with yet another trusty jeep trailer on the Mojave Road:

2004 Nissan Murano AWD with traction package grocery getter in winter time.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Guess who drives this?

2008 Kioti, 35 HP, 3 cyl. 4WD diesel tractor with lots of attachments.

In the twilight of my off-roading life, only the last four remain. I liked all of my choices above for what I needed at the time.

Last edited:

justcuz

Explorer
I'll take the Willys wagon and the FJ55 wagon. Nothing wrong with either of those vehicles that a Chevy V8 can't fix.
IMO any Land Cruiser from a FJ45 to a 100 series goes from a good vehicle to a great vehicle once it's repowered by a Chevy V8.
MIL has a 97 Grand Cherokee, nice but I am a little too big for it. My leg rests against the door panel and after an hour or so it gets uncomfortable.
My vehicle history is similar to the above poster.
Flat fender, short bed Ford, two long bed Chevys, a 74 Cherokee and finally a Suburban.
I've had Suburbans now for over 20 years and got the flat fender back 3 years ago. Buddy who bought it from me passed away and his wife honored me with the first option to buy it back. It was my first 4x4 so I could not refuse.

I still believe the Expedition/Sequoia/Tahoe vehicles offer a great value for an all around vehicle. Price is easier on the wallet than more popular vehicles, all can be slightly modified for improved off road use (mild lift, lockers, tires) and are very confortible highway cruisers.

Last edited:

CGS

Observer
The poor mans Toyota 4Runner, 2005+ Nissan Xterra's are not on your list. (Personally I'd get a 2009 up if you can, the bugs were worked out by then.)

They should not draw the premiums Toyota's and Jeeps do, but they are every bit as reliable as a Toyota. Been in production for 10 years so parts are not going anywhere for a long time.

Aftermarket custom parts are much more expensive, but they do exist. Some schools of though recommend overland rigs not be heavily modified anyway.

Fully boxed frame.
Fits 33" tires with no lifts needed.
OFF ROAD/ PRO-4X trims have factory rear locking diff.
Range is about 300 miles, less under 4x4 conditions. Fuel economy is dismal, expect 16-18mpg once you load it down with off road tires and gear.
Tows 5000lbs.

They have their pluses and minuses, but it's another option. I absolutely love mine. I've wheeled with many of the vehicles on your list, 4Runners, Tacoma's, and Jeeps of various flavors. I've held my own, with no lift or drive train mods.

Over my last 30 fillups of my Xterra with 33" All Terrains and a 2" lift, I averaged 15 mpg. I'd consider the driving 50/50 mixed. Highway was about the same. City would drop down as low as 13. I did like mine for the utility of it, but after converting to 33's, it really needed a gear change. I will also second getting a PRO4X as well to get the extra goodies that are difficult to track down otherwise. I once took mine with no lift and on highway tires through a lot of stuff that most people wouldn't have thought it would go through.

Dalko43

Explorer
Thanks for the link

With enough time and effort you can make a Pinto off road capable.

There is nothing wrong with a 4Runner. For traveling I would and I do choose my 4Runner over my Jeep all the time, unless off roading is involved. I just think that a Wrangler (or other short wheel base solid front and rear axle vehicle) is a better platform for a " but also capable of going most anywhere once off road" vehicle then a 4th Generation 4Runner.

I would trade my Wrangler in a heart beat for a well done early solid axle 4Runner. I did trade my Grand Cherokeefor a 4Runner because the Grand sucked as a tow vehicle and in general just not as good as the 4Runner. I am not a brand loyal person.
_

I also don't agree with that comparison. The 4runner (especially the 5th gen) is much closer rival to the Jeep than say a crossover or a passenger sedan. It's a true 4wd rig with a fully boxed frame, 4.0L truck engine and a solid rear axle with an optional locker. In fact, really the only thing separating the 2 is the 4runner's IFS and slightly longer wheelbase (depending on the variant of jeep we are comparing it to).

Honestly, for overlanding purposes, I'd prefer the 4runner, since its interior, storage and good handling IFS make it a bit more livable for those longer trips. For hardcore, technical wheeling, the Jeep has an obvious edge with its solid front axle. You can obviously still use the 4runner for technical wheeling and vice versa with the jeep and overlanding (plenty of real world examples for both setup's).

With the Xterra now gone, I consider these 2 to be the last true, off-road oriented mid-sized SUV's left on the market...which is kind of sad when you think about how many companies used to make those kinds of vehicles.

OP, you'll have to provide a bit more detail on your expectations. How much range and mpg do you really need? And what do you mean by tight trails? Technical Jeep trails? Or just old roads that haven't been used in a while?

Based on what you've said so far, I can recommend the 4th gen 4runner (V6 or v8 should be capable of handling your towing needs), a Landcruiser 100 (which will obviously cost a bit more to buy and maintain), a 2nd gen Tacoma (you have to watch out for some model years with rust issues and its C-channel frame isn't as robust as the 4runner's or Landcruiser's, but it's likely sufficient for your purposes). I spent some seat time in a late model Nissan Xterra Pro-4x; as others have mentioned, it's a good, reliable, and often overlooked option (though its stock fuel tank limits its range). There are comparable domestic options as well, which someone else will have to talk to since I'm only really familiar with Toyota's and Nissan's 4x4 vehicles. Regardless of which brand you choose, expect mpg to range from 12mpg on the low end to 21mpg on the high end; these older gasoline vehicles, while reliable, just aren't known for good mpg, especially when you start loading them up and modifying them.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
I also don't agree with that comparison. The 4runner (especially the 5th gen) is much closer rival to the Jeep than say a crossover or a passenger sedan. It's a true 4wd rig with a fully boxed frame, 4.0L truck engine and a solid rear axle with an optional locker. In fact, really the only thing separating the 2 is the 4runner's IFS and slightly longer wheelbase (depending on the variant of jeep we are comparing it to).

Honestly, for overlanding purposes, I'd prefer the 4runner, since its interior, storage and good handling IFS make it a bit more livable for those longer trips. For hardcore, technical wheeling, the Jeep has an obvious edge with its solid front axle. You can obviously still use the 4runner for technical wheeling and vice versa with the jeep and overlanding (plenty of real world examples for both setup's).

Any 4X4 4Runner is or could be used for off-roading, just depends on how much modification you want to do. Anything that didn't involve harder off roading (a very subjective term) a Toyota 4Runner would probably be my top choice. Even then a modified 1st gen would be towards the top of my list.

The 4th gen 4 runner sits lower to the ground then other 4Runners and it just seem HUGE. In mine (not sure about others) unless you do some of your own wiring the traction control cannot be turned off. The traction control works great in some instances but could be an issue in others.

I love my 4Runner for road trips and for less than ideal dirt roads it is also great but if you where truly off-roading it would need to be lifted and allot of body and under armor protection.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Any 4X4 4Runner is or could be used for off-roading, just depends on how much modification you want to do. Anything that didn't involve harder off roading (a very subjective term) a Toyota 4Runner would probably be my top choice. Even then a modified 1st gen would be towards the top of my list.

The 4th gen 4 runner sits lower to the ground then other 4Runners and it just seem HUGE. In mine (not sure about others) unless you do some of your own wiring the traction control cannot be turned off. The traction control works great in some instances but could be an issue in others.

I love my 4Runner for road trips and for less than ideal dirt roads it is also great but if you where truly off-roading it would need to be lifted and allot of body and under armor protection.

I've driven the 4th gen extensively, though I don't recall if there was an option to turn off the traction control. In the 5th gen 4runner, the traction control comes off by default when you switch into 4wd low. I do agree that the 4th gen had more of car-like feel in stock form; it was still decent offroad, but it does require a bit more modification than say a jeep to tackle serious terrain. The 5th gen 4runner, however, is very much an offroading and overlanding machine right off of the factory floor. With its decent ground clearance, locking rear differential, KDSS and ATRAC, it can handle quite a bit of difficult terrain before you really need to start modifying it.

Like I said, the Jeep may have a slight edge for those extra difficult trails due its solid front axle, but this newer 4runner isn't far behind. I think the two platforms are cross-shopped a lot more than people realize, mostly due to the fact that they are the only 2 mid-sized BOF SUV's left on the market.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I am posting here because I can find no other place for my question. I hope I am in the right section.

My dilemma... I'm a retired person with plenty of time to build a rig, and then to use it for exploration. I live in Arizona, so most of my off-roading, etc. will be out west. Might go to Alaska, and probably do Baja in addition to AZ, Utah, etc.

I am looking for opinions on what vehicles make the best platforms for reliable conversions. I will be traveling either solo or with a partner for the most part. I would need a rig capable of doing lots of miles on highways to get to my destinations, but also capable of going most anywhere once off road. The things that matter most to me in a rig are as follows:

Decent fuel economy/range
Smallish size for tight trails, but still maintaining adequate space for essential items for week long excursions.
Ability to hold roof top tent
Might decide at a later time to tow an off road trailer if I need more capacity, so my rig would need the power to tow probably 2500#
4WD is a no-brainer, and locking rear axle if available (I can always install an aftermarket locker)
I like vehicles with full frames to carry load and off road flex, but would consider a rig with semi frame if rugged enough
I don't want to go older than 1999
Reasonable purchase price and parts availability to customize are considerations I would look for

There are way more things to consider, but this will get me started. So far I have a few vehicles on my list that I think would fit the bill nicely, so please weigh in on my potential list, or give me suggestions on vehicles I have overlooked.

My short, so far, list..... Toyota 4Runner 3rd gen. Jeep XJ 1999-2001 or 2002, Toyota Tacoma, Toyota FJ, Jeep TJ, LG, or early Unlimited. I'm sure there are vehicles I've overlooked. I also think it would be awesome to convert a small van to 4 wheel drive, but not sure which are easy to convert and have adequate frame structure for extended off roading

I greatly appreciate any input. Believe me, I've been doing a lot of research, but find myself bouncing from one platform to the next with regularity. That's why I am asking opinions from those of you with experience with these vehicles. Thanks again for your time

Would be interesting to know what you finally decided on. Hope what ever it is, it is serving you well. :beer:

So many excellent choices fit in your "want" list. No clear winner, but definitely a lot of personal favorites as seen throughout this thread. :)

Personally my favorite is the Yugo. It won't get you anywhere without breaking, so there will be a lot more beer drinking time. What could be better than that! :beer:
The trunk area is plenty big enough for a kegerator, and you'll make lots of friends along the way. Make the Kegerator portable, and I'm betting you'll never have to drive your own vehicle a foot farther than you want (which won't be many feet in a Yugo). :victory:

Pinelogcreek

Observer
I've owned dodge, Nissan, ford, Toyota, Jeep, chevy and gmc trucks. In recent years a 2013 JKU lifted on 285/75/17's, it got 22 mpg at 60 mph, looked cool and would carry nearly nothing. 1100 pound cargo capacity before mods. A 2014 four runner trail edition, 22 mpg at 60mph, has gone everywhere the JKU went and rides like a cloud in comparison. I have driven both on long distance trips and that's how the Jeep found a new home. Lastly a new Tacoma dcsb 4x4 that gets about twenty on the highway and is not as comfortable or capable as the four runner. If I was going to leave tomorrow to see the country it would be in the four runner. I would add and ARB awning and awning room where I could sleep on a cot, use a portal John etc in private and not climb on my roof. Sleeping inside on a home brew platform would be easy too. My retirement ride 4x4 sprinter in 144" wheelbase. Camp inside, eat inside and handle the light trail use I'll be up for. Sleep anywhere you can park.

Silverado08

Observer
I'm the OP of this thread, and I want to thank you all for your valuable input. Every bit of info and every bit of advice is appreciated. I am impressed by brand loyalty. I was expecting one or two stand out vehicles, but not the case here. You've given me a lot to consider.

I want to bring you up to date. So far, I have taken a 3rd gen 4Runner and a 2006 Taco for test rides. Both moderately built. I like both rigs. I also had an opportunity to drive a 2016 Chevy Colorado in both, the gas version, and the diesel. I was super impressed with the diesel. It was quiet and powerful. The torque is unbelievable. Able to tow 7700# I believe. The fuel mileage was what caught my attention, over 30 on the highway for a 4x4. Not bad. I did find accounts of Chevy bringing the next iteration of the Colorado out this summer. It is badged as a Z72 and the photos look great. It has a lot of off road items installed (suspension upgrades, locker, etc.) and of course, the strong diesel engine.

Now, my problem is I am more undecided than ever! I am balancing the older vehicles and keeping my year and a half old car, or trading for a new Colorado and making it do double duty. Wish life were simpler. LOL Keep up the suggestions though. I appreciate them very much. Hope to make a decision soon.
If you have the money Id go with new rig,,we only live once and I rather be driving then fixing old machines..
Ive been quite happy with my 08 Silverado,most expensive repair was 150$ for a tiny air bag sensor!!
Stil have original brakes too,,but then I bought it new and drive carefuly and smartly..

evilfij

Explorer
I have/had/driven everything.

Defender/TJ = intolerable on long highway journeys
JKUR/Tacoma = tolerable on long highway journeys
Mid-sized SUV = ok on long highway journeys
Full size SUV = comfortable on long highway journeys

Based on your plans, that would drive my decision making process most. If the money cannon was full, I would overland in a new Range Rover LWB. But I don't think it would be $100k better than my old suburban or $80k better than my $23k new Tacoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven