Wolf's Ongoing Discovery Build Thread

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
Yet I dont see any pics of his rocker panels damaged in any way... nor pics of extreme trail taming.

I don't do any sort of "extreme" wheeling either but sliders are very important with land rovers. Plus I don't see how a hilift Jack will benefit him except for looks without a solid place to use it at. Well I guesshe could use those awesome plastic sliders below the doors...

I did see how he has a rear diff guard but his front is bare. Now if a vehicle is going forward most of the time wouldn't you want a front diff guard before the rear.

On the note of lug nuts it is from the fact that he has no class. It may function well but does it fit? I don't think so. Get the correct lug nuts and then the plastic hubcaps and it will look correct. Sorry but this truck is all "bling" and why not use the correct part if it is.

Dang Newbies

SeaRubi

Explorer
I don't do any sort of "extreme" wheeling either but sliders are very important with land rovers. Plus I don't see how a hilift Jack will benefit him except for looks without a solid place to use it at. Well I guesshe could use those awesome plastic sliders below the doors...

I did see how he has a rear diff guard but his front is bare. Now if a vehicle is going forward most of the time wouldn't you want a front diff guard before the rear.

On the note of lug nuts it is from the fact that he has no class. It may function well but does it fit? I don't think so. Get the correct lug nuts and then the plastic hubcaps and it will look correct. Sorry but this truck is all "bling" and why not use the correct part if it is.

Dang Newbies

This is all a bunch of pretentious bull. I ran the alloy lugnuts on steelies for a very long time and never had an issue.

And as to rock sliders - that's bull, too. If the things didn't hang down another 3" from stock they wouldn't contact. The plastic sills will bear the weight of the vehicle. They will crush but unless you're dropping down onto them they aren't tinfoil. And if you notch them, the hi-lift will work just fine as the tub is totally flat there at the sill, and the tub on my RRC never dented or anything from using it as a jack point.

Plastic wheel covers. who are the newbies here? The covers won't fit over thick drive flanges so I guess my old rig wouldn't have lived up to your standards, either. Not to mention they would have been busted into a million pieces the first time out.

:gunt:

edit for plastic sliders.

reachingOut.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
The covers won't fit over thick drive flanges

I am pretty sure D2s only have one type of driveflange unlike D1s and RRCs can have HD driveflanges... And this is what I mean by the plastic hub cap that slips over the steel wheel lugnuts to clean up the appearance.

This is all a bunch of pretentious bull. I ran the alloy lugnuts on steelies for a very long time and never had an issue.

I never said he wouldn't have an issue running the lugnuts except it looks like crap and a lot of what he has done to his disco has been to "improve" the looks.

nd as to rock sliders - that's bull, too. If the things didn't hang down another 3" from stock they wouldn't contact. The plastic sills will bear the weight of the vehicle. They will crush but unless you're dropping down onto them they aren't tinfoil. And if you notch them, the hi-lift will work just fine as the tub is totally flat there at the sill, and the tub on my RRC never dented or anything from using it as a jack point.

I want to see pics of this.

I have wheeled my trucks quite a bit... And have even needed my rocksliders on some normal wheeling...

Attachments

• n1005090050_30321354_7979.jpg
    n1005090050_30321354_7979.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 32
  • n78204578_30100919_5133.jpg
    n78204578_30100919_5133.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 21959_537686221123_78204578_31528878_2680658_n.jpg
    21959_537686221123_78204578_31528878_2680658_n.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 69
  • n78204578_30406605_16.jpg
    n78204578_30406605_16.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 57
S

Street Wolf

Dang Newbies

You know if you're really that concerned as to how I have my Disco set up, you're more than welcome to help out with the funding of it as well. Until then you can comment on it with less bashing.

I've done a fair amount of this 'extreme' wheeling that keeps getting mentioned here, and I've never had a real reason for sliders yet. Of course there have been situations if I had not navigated the trail differently I would of most certainly have 'needed' them, but it's not something that is going to keep me from getting through.

As for the lug nuts, it's not like I purchased them specifically for the steel wheels rather than purchasing the 'correct' ones that match, and if you really want to know the truth. They're still on there mostly for the fact that it makes others like you absolutely, outrageously butt hurt, and I enjoy it. Seeing as my wheel studs should have broken off long ago resulting in instance death, according to the majority of aforementioned butt hurt people.

Also for the record, yeah I plan on putting sliders on, and yeah I plan on adding a front diff guard since the previous owner put the one on the back and for some reason didn't purchase a front one, and perhaps maybe even down the road I'll get the "proper " lug nuts if I can ever get over the amusement of others opinions of them.

Until then I will continue to add modifications here and there when I come across a great deal or an opportunity I cannot pass up. Even if it means adding something of supposedly less importance like my RTT before something like sliders.

And as to rock sliders - that's bull, too. If the damb things didn't hang down another 3" from stock they wouldn't contact. The plastic sills will bear the weight of the vehicle. They will crush but unless you're dropping down onto them they aren't tinfoil. And if you notch them, the hi-lift will work just fine as the tub is totally flat there at the sill, and the tub on my RRC never dented or anything from using it as a jack point.

Plastic wheel covers. who are the newbies here? The covers won't fit over thick drive flanges so I guess my old rig wouldn't have lived up to your standards, either. Not to mention they would have been busted into a million pieces the first time out.

Couldn't agree more with you. :)

jeff_wright

Adventurer
I like the roof top tent man. If I could ever justify the means and found a great deal on one, it would be cool to have. Several things I've added to my truck have been based on deals at the time, however, I do wish I would have gone with some sliders up front. My Disco hasn't been thrashed around in rocks much yet, but even so I could have used them. The majority of my driving is minor wheeling and exploring forest service roads. The time when I did drag my plastic sill, it crunched. The plastic trim may prevent scraping the bottom of the door, but it doesn't protect from bending a door by any means! Sliders are next on the list for me...

JEFFSGTP

Observer

And as to rock sliders - that's bull, too. If the things didn't hang down another 3" from stock they wouldn't contact. The plastic sills will bear the weight of the vehicle. They will crush but unless you're dropping down onto them they aren't tinfoil. And if you notch them, the hi-lift will work just fine as the tub is totally flat there at the sill, and the tub on my RRC never dented or anything from using it as a jack point.

reachingOut.jpg

AMEN BROTHER...Thank You at least one other person that doesn't have more money than brains understands the Common Sense approach to outfitting as you have money/deals. And before anyone wants to spout off at me because its not my truck, wheeling ain't free or cheap, and I enjoy wheeling with him in his truck so I invest in it as well, both time, money and equipment and whenever I decide to get my own he has no worries of me wanting the stuff back I bought for him. He is a good friend and I try to reciprocate his generosity of letting me tag along on wheeling expeditions by helping out as much as I can...I doubt most owners on here can say their friend(s) have bought them much of anything for their trucks. We play together and we pay together...its just the right thing to do for a friend that has never once forced me to pay for anything if I've wanted to come along.:safari-rig: + :camping: + :beer: = :sombrero:

muskyman

Explorer

reachingOut.jpg

You are Full of it!!

The plastic sils are crap and have no strucural value at all. Notching them and using them with a high lift would create a very dangerous situation. This is horrible advice!!

You need to stop spouting off like you know something in this section, It is very clear you dont know anything about these trucks at all from this post.

These trucks should have diff protection and sliders. The diffs are paper thin and trail damage to the front diff will stop you in your tracks and pour gear oil all over a trail. Dragging the plastic valance over rocks will crack them in short order and dropping the sill on rocks will damage the sills and damage the bottom of the doors.

Part of owning a rover is the fact it can do many things, If you beat and bash a unprotected body and chassis on the trail it then become a eye sore on the road and no longer fits in well for other uses.

And if you notch them, the hi-lift will work just fine

What complete garbage you spew!!!

there's a lot of love in this room!

:coffee:

Texans are so controversial :coffeedrink:

somethings in life and overlanding are different not less, just different people

Sea Rubi is right about a few things in my experience, just my experience which may be contrary to your own and still be true!

On my D1 I used the stock plastic "sliders" and they dented easy but never bent the frame etc.

I banged the ******** out of them, chewed them right up, but they were cheap to replace and I never bent anything more - seems a bit risky if you're really rock crawling or hitting heavy stuff but for the occasional rub they work. Unintentionally the truck came down very hard on them at speed while climbing a dry river bed wall - was a rookie mistake but they held up fine

There is a lot of sanctimonious attitude around here about who does what and what qualifies for "real" adventurers based on what you drive and how you use it. Seems kind of lame and pointless but don't let it bother you, like Mike said before, it's a big internet and no one is going to prove much of anything on the subject

lets try and avoid another pissing contest ladies, you're big boys, act the part

nice truck Wolf - given your access to equipment you could do a search and find a cheap way to make your own sliders if you so desired

then it seems we could both benefit from a little more tactfulness in our contributions on Expo Musky

being reactionary, condescending, and polarizing our own and others opinions on 4x4ing of all things never really serves anyone. but we both know all that so lets try and employ it :ylsmoke:

certainly agree with you, it is preferable to have sliders and skid plates are worth every penny. I'd buy those long before a winch or bull bar and they don't cost much

I know you would have the answer to this, correct me if I'm wrong, not all sliders are created equal correct? like SG are not suppose to be great I thought I read and some others like RT are suppose to be tough as nails?

Roverhound

Adventurer
I wasn't kidding when I said this advice has gone from silly to dangerous. What if someone who is to cheap to buy sliders but is cool enough to own a Hi Lift reads this and decides that it is ok to jack up a 5000 pound truck by what is essentially a piece of trim? Serious injury or death could result.

muskyman

Explorer
I wasn't kidding when I said this advice has gone from silly to dangerous. What if someone who is to cheap to buy sliders but is cool enough to own a Hi Lift reads this and decides that it is ok to jack up a 5000 pound truck by what is essentially a piece of trim? Serious injury or death could result.

I agree 100%

High Lifts kill people!

they did not get the name "widowmaker jack" by being safe. :Wow1:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
As much as it pains me, I have to agree with Mathie on this one. I wheeled without sliders for 2 years, but no more. Even though I've been supremely cautious, I've broken the plastic sills, and I can't see how they're good for anything other than giving you an audible warning that you're about to damage your doors.

Not that I'm suggesting every Discovery owner needs to run out and get some sliders. It all depends on what you want to do with the truck. And yes, it's entirely possible to need a winch before you need sliders. I had to winch myself several times, but have not yet actually damaged my doors or sills. However, I'm actually going to skip an upcoming trip to this trail, until I get my sliders done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYBu57_re7I

Pick and choose your battles.

And as to rock sliders - that's bull, too. If the things didn't hang down another 3" from stock they wouldn't contact.

Typical design only hangs down about 1/4" lower?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal