Zam15’s Tacoma Build

Zam15

Explorer
Thanks! I was sad when you stepped down from TTORA because you were a great host for several trips. But I am happy to see your truck getting back together again. Your setup made me pull the trigger on my party/rock lights haha.

Hopefully we will meet again!

Take care.

P.S. If I ever get to Cuba I am sure they have plenty of Ford 9" parts :ylsmoke:

Zam15

Explorer
Are there any brake experts on here? I am looking at the Trail-Gear setup and you can purchase their break kit when you buy the axle. Looks like the discs are 14" and 3/8" (.375") thick. They are slotted and drilled but do not appear to be vented. I have the tundra rotors up front and I believe they are 12.6" and 1.1" thick.

This seem extremely thin for a heavy duty truck or am I missing something? I also don't like proprietary wear parts that you can only get from one source, but I also have 135k on my stock drums so I can't see these wearing out fast.

So I have a few questions:
*Will these do the job in properly stop a fully loaded expedition vehicle?
*Would there be any issues with these being so thin/ not vented?
*Do you think I'll have to buy new rims to fit these? At 12.6" plus calipers the tundra setup barely fit in my 16" wheels.
* May have to ask TG this directly but I hope their are other sources for a compatible rotor... but $100 per is not a deal breaker
120277-KIT_trail-gear_rock-assault-9-fully-loaded-rear-brake-kit_ID_LR.jpg

Zam15

Explorer
Also just found another build that is running a reversed 4-Link and pulling 18", he could pull more if he changed the shock location... just for those who say it wont work.
In the owners words:
"It rides great. I can hit the whoops between Gecko and the flats at 50-60 mph with no problems. It soaks it up as long as you stay on the gas.
The rear doesn't squat when accelerating so when I got into trouble I just stomped on it and it got better. "
P1020017.jpg

P1020016.jpg

P1020015.jpg

P1020057-1.jpg

Photo0029.jpg

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Rear discs are super worth it usually. 70ish% of your stopping power is all front. Pit your money there.

I found a real nice big brake front kit...but..was close to 3k. Ill find it for ya again.

Wonder why he didn't put the COs on the trail arms. Woulda saved his bed...course he would have had to cage it..but if he is going 60 he probably should haha

Clutch

<---Pass
Wonder why he didn't put the COs on the trail arms. Woulda saved his bed...course he would have had to cage it..but if he is going 60 he probably should haha

Looks like there is a cage in it. For all the work...not sure why he didn't tuck the CO's up closer to the cab, and well...at that point (the bed is fairly useless now) might as well cut the back half of the frame off...go full tilt boogie then.

t-8-jpg.137954

Zam15

Explorer
Thanks Doc!

Looks like swapping in new t-case fluid and a 1,500 mile adventure took it's toll on the transfer case front output seal.. Going to have to swap her out to fix the slow leak.

Zam15

Explorer
Been trying to track down what's causing my CEL to come on (P0171) so I swapped out the fuel pump, fuel filter, PCV valve... and end up finally hearing the vacuum leak, hard to track those down when your truck is loud! Little bit of JB weld on the plug and its GTG. No more OCD about the CEL! Now on to the transfer case leak... this crap never ends.

Little SOB, did not look like that last time....

Can really tell the quality difference between OEM and aftermarket.. but it should work fine. (metal vs. plastic)

uscg2008

Explorer
I don't remember if you have covered it before but do you have specs on your awning? I would like to improve on mine a bit.

Mine looks like this
cb56676c43798ade4bb192c26b366494_zpse530ddfd.jpg

48e382dd56167d4ea5534a3b4bb27e9a_zps9239c0b5.jpg

So I was thinking about adding an expandable pole for the tarp to attach to on the truck side, then having that pole held by a quick fist mount (ones that hold my shovel) on the roof rack.

Zam15

Explorer
I get a 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 feet shade area out of my setup, much more than most of the expensive off the shelf units have. Just used a few tubes of conduit, a tarp and two corner brackets I bought from a local swap meet. If I got three more traps I could make it a room.

I have had it in some heavy winds and it holds up amazingly well! I can hang anything I want on it and if I do get into crazy weather tie it down if necessary. Not the best looking setup but it just works, it's cheap and an easy setup.

OttawaXJ

Observer
Just read through your build. Just thought I'd mention bottled water becomes toxic when left in a vehicle and its heated up.

2010nctaco

Just read through your build. Just thought I'd mention bottled water becomes toxic when left in a vehicle and its heated up.

I've heard this before from my wife. You have any links? The water is taken to the store in a hot truck, so I don't see how it be any different?

Zam15

Explorer

Ya I know, some of the chemicals can leach into the water over time even when not in heat. I have never heard of it being "deadly" should you need some emergency water in the desert I would rather have some that taste funny than none at all. I am sure dehydration is a little more dangerous...
:box:

Also the inside of my truck rarely gets hot due to the roof rack blocking a majority of the sunlight and heat.

As for the actual water I drink of every trip I carry a 7 gallon container that I refill.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat