'10 Tundra CrewMax

Bruce

Observer
My apology for the delay; been out camping and enjoying southern Colorado for the last week. Im in Flagstaff, its a great part of the world for camping and exploring; after reading this thread (and showing the wife some pics) the eastern Sierras are on our short list for places to check out soon! Look me up if youre ever in these parts.

I recently picked up a 2008 DC 5.7 4x4 Tundra-I love this truck. Seems like the perfect platform for us. Im trying to keep a tight budget for my truck, so Im thinking Bilstein 5100's, diff drop, and airbags...along with a slightly larger than stock AT tire. Im looking for a good deal on a used camper (Four wheel, Northstar, outfitter, etc) as well. I need to be able to tow a small dirtbike trailer for mine and the kids gear. I'll get around to starting a thread once I get parts ordered and make a tire decision...any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:bike_rider:

Wainiha

Explorer
Nice Tundra. I guess you have read Bigwapitijohnny's thread?

He has a deadly one as well. I like the budbuilt skids-wish I had some on my Tacoma.

That area you live in looks like beautiful country. I lived in Montana for 6 months. I wish I could have seen summer.

zidaro

Explorer
WooHoo,
Finally dropped the dough for a new set of tires!! Tough decisions these days, wasnt satisfied with the lifespan of my Duratracs. Great traction tire, especially on snowy roads, but wore way too fast.
Went with Mickey Thompsons new Baja ATZ P3 and bumped up a size to 35"s

IMG_1639_zpsd932240e.jpg

on these wheels- Method Race street series 18x9

IMG_0785_zps3c5b8b5f.jpg

pic of the Duratracs in their current state on the way to the tire shop for mounting. Still siping and maybe 20% tread, but only at 30K max.

IMG_1638_zps0ac74269.jpg

was hoping the body mount would not be rubbing, but let me confirm that an ICON suspension at 2.5-3" lift will need a mount trim with 35" tires/9"wheels at +18mmoffset

stock:
IMG_1641_zpsd124844b.jpg

Cutout:
IMG_1642_zps024af91f.jpg

plated:
IMG_1650_zps9e95ffff.jpg

IMG_1651_zpsc589c26d.jpg

salvaged as much of the mud flap as i could, we shall see if it lasts
IMG_1652_zpsdb1f6cfc.jpg

as it sits, i am loving how it is looking with the more offset wheels

IMG_1655_zpsecd7ad3d.jpg

Bruce

Observer
Your truck looks great. Hows your mpgs now with the bigger tires? Lets see some more pics of that beast! Mines in for the diff recall...

j2dd

Fantastic build and thread. thank you. Question, how much does your camper and gear weigh on a typical trip? I am thinking about a 2014 Tundra with a Hallmark Milner pop up. I will install airbags and load E tires and whatever else is necessary to handle the load. I think I will be about 2100-2200lbs wet with gear and the wife and I. We are going to start a trip next year down through Central and South America and will be driving off road where 4WD is needed and also just driving on non paved roads. Want to make sure the after market suspension adds are enough to handle the extra 600-700lbs of payload. Don't think I can do all you did, but wondering what you think would work.....thanks

aires35

Adventurer
Very, very nice! I went from 33" Toyo MT's (on 20's, 44K life) to 35" Cooper AT's. I really liked MT's but ride on Cooper's so much better. Be sure to let us know how the ATZ's do for you. Thanks for all your posts.

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
My friends and I just did a Loop into Saline via Eureka, Dedeckera, Steel Pass and then out North Pass. A quick day to check the roads for a camp trip with the families in Nov. And an update to road conditions for all headed in to Saline!

Eureka Dunes

IMG_0958_zps8af25b4a.jpg

IMG_1656_zps807d1948.jpg

Steel Pass and Dedeckera are fine and unaffected by the recent flooding.
There are a few mini challenges up thru the canyon, a bit of narrowing and some steps to overcome.

IMG_0961_zps67fa1808.jpg

IMG_0964_zpsf7ea2567.jpg

Steel Pass is in good condition since the flooding in July, until you descend into Saline Valley, entering the alluvial floodplain riverbeds. in the riverbeds with est. 5mi. left before reaching the middle spring, you will find the road tough to distinguish and heavily washed out. there are tracks to follow and neon ribbons on the sage if your watching. the trail seems to follow the right side of wash most of the way,then there is an obscure left turn before upper springs to follow the main path. All can be done in a standard stock 4x4 if you have basic skills. I think Steel Pass is actually smoother now than i have ever driven it.

The Springs were very desolate, low crowds, and in beautiful condition. there was a plane parked out on the strip with a tent out, so i assume the runway is in decent shape, but saw no one to confirm this with.
A quick soak and were were back on our way. North Pass

the lower portion of the road is in poor condition with many washouts and plenty of displaced rocks and ruts. Slow going and be smart with navigation.

IMG_1662_zps2b3a755b.jpg

Reroute trail bank collapsed on my buddy as he made his turn.

IMG_0986_zpsc2b7d44c.jpg

IMG_0989_zps26f6fd5d.jpg

IMG_1664_zps7cb14ae1.jpg

IMG_1665_zps04a44c93.jpg

much of the upper valley road looks like this.

IMG_1673_zps26806f1c.jpg

Gold mines of Marble Canyon

IMG_1676_zpsf18d6a22.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
Your truck looks great. Hows your mpgs now with the bigger tires? Lets see some more pics of that beast! Mines in for the diff recall...

Gearing feels great with the 4.30 towing pkg. gears unloaded. have yet to take my camper or trailer for a spin. Coming!!!
Diff recall? i will have to look into that?
MPG is now off unless i want to calculate, but really what does it matter :) cant do much about it now if i did have issue. I will tell you that i fill up in Bishop and drive to Mammoth all the time. this time i had a higher reading fuel gauge with the new tire size, than i have in the past year or so on the 33" Duratracs. So my MPG must be better.??

I will also say that the tires are remarkably quite on the highway and have great manners. After 150Miles of tough roads thru Death Valley, and spinning my tires whenever my traction control was not paying attention :) , they are not showing any chunking and wear. They had excellent flotation in Eureka deep blow sand, great stick to the rocks without airing below 40psi, and felt purdy good railing down two-track and washboard. I'll say i am happy so far.

Fantastic build and thread. thank you. Question, how much does your camper and gear weigh on a typical trip? I am thinking about a 2014 Tundra with a Hallmark Milner pop up. I will install airbags and load E tires and whatever else is necessary to handle the load. I think I will be about 2100-2200lbs wet with gear and the wife and I. We are going to start a trip next year down through Central and South America and will be driving off road where 4WD is needed and also just driving on non paved roads. Want to make sure the after market suspension adds are enough to handle the extra 600-700lbs of payload. Don't think I can do all you did, but wondering what you think would work.....thanks

you seem close to right on with weight. My truck feels great with the load, albeit heavy and noticeably loaded. try to limit water weight and loads up high if your offroad. Limit the psi of airbags too, if you can, when offroad to keep the suspension working.

Bruce

Observer
My Tundra is an 08 and some of the 07-08's have a bad front diff that is pretty common. I have seen on TS that others have had later years with issues as well. It started as a mild hum in the front end that started to progress quickly and sound like the truck had mudders on it; at first I thought I was crazy, then it got worse daily. Luckily I have the platinum warranty and the dealership is handling it, but they were reluctant to admit I had a problem. I talked one of their head mechanics into going on a ride with me and thats all it took...

After endless research that has my wife about to kill me, Ive decided to go BFG AT's in 275/70's on mine. The AT's have always been good to me (if rotated every 3k) and most of my buddys seem to be burning through the Duratracs, Coopers, Toyo's, etc to fast for my taste and $$$. I look forward to your opinions on the MT's as well. Keep up all the great trip reports!

Guri

Explorer
Nice truck, I'm really happy with my tundra too. I still have a few things that I want to do... back burner for me now...
Enjoy the truck with many trips :bike_rider:

j2dd

you seem close to right on with weight. My truck feels great with the load, albeit heavy and noticeably loaded. try to limit water weight and loads up high if your offroad. Limit the psi of airbags too, if you can, when offroad to keep the suspension working.

Matt at Hallmark RV installed these airbag cradles. They are supposed to allow for more suspension articulation while off road. He just installed them and hasn't had them long enough to form an opinion, but it seems like an interesting concept. http://www.daystarweb.com/productdetail.php?productID=1232

zidaro

Explorer
Ive checked those out. I'd be all over those as an option if they had a model to fit 8" bags.

as mine are, they handle a decent amount of travel and have not torn themselves up even though my rear has been in the air a few times more than i would like :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk