109 Expedition rig build

Yorker

Adventurer
Mercedesrover said:
I'm going to miss working on it too. Maybe I won't say that in six months, but I doubt it. Half the fun of these trucks is planning out and executing the build but it'll be a while before I do another. But you never know....maybe a 109 pick-up truck next.

jim

Mmmmm Series Highcap crewcab... ;)

seriessearcher

Adventurer
Lights?

Jim,

Will you be running it as a Series III front or a Series II? I seem to see a couple extra headlight slots.

It still looks great.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
seriessearcher said:
Will you be running it as a Series III front or a Series II? I seem to see a couple extra headlight slots.

Like my 88" this truck will have four headlights (Hella H4s). The outers will function primarily with the inners being selectable and then operating along with the outers. That's how the 88" is wired and it works pretty well. Lots of light when you need it but no sticky-outy fog lights getting caught on everything.

jim

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Running!!!

And like a swiss watch! I'm a happy boy tonight.
Moving under its own power and all seems great!

chassis22.JPG

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Man, every time I see all that shiny bright galvy I get really jealous. As I was lying under my NADA truck this evening getting high on paint stripper fumes and scraping the chassis down for paint I could swear I was having halucinations about your truck.

Congratualtions.

Gregor

Mercedesrover

Explorer
greenmeanie said:
Man, every time I see all that shiny bright galvy I get really jealous. As I was lying under my NADA truck this evening getting high on paint stripper fumes and scraping the chassis down for paint I could swear I was having halucinations about your truck.

Congratualtions.

Gregor

Why stop now? Go for it!

R.N. has a NADA 6-cyl frame right in stock. Wonder if that would qualify for the free shipping weekends they run?

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Mercedesrover said:
We were hittin' 'em pretty heavy last night and almost tied a picnic table to the thing and drove it up to the package store!

Ah, so that's the plan for new improved seating from Land Rover.

Something tells me that our friends at Roversnorth might baulk at funding the shipping for a LWB chassis from VT to AZ. I think that would really eat into their profit margin a tad.

Anyway, other than the quirky bolt on rear cross member and some surface rust my current chassis is in good nick. I'd love to galvy it but there is a slight problem with space to do a body off build. The missus demands that her car be able to go away at night. I find this entirely unreasonable as the driveway is perfectly clean and it hardly ever rains here. Anyway her Audi already has a galvy body.

Cheers
Gregor

viatierra

Explorer
Congratulations on getting the build running! Complete ignorance and curiosity on my end... what's next on the punch list under the hood? Moving on to another phase of the project?

It's looking fantastic! I'm enjoying regularly checking in on your progress...

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Thanks, Greg.

Well, the engine is wired. (Glow plugs, two wires to the starter, two wires to the alternator and one to the temp gauge) Everything else for the engine is done. All the electrical components for this truck will be under the seat….Battery, fuse bank, glow plug relay, head light relays, etc. will all be in the seat box. The only thing electrical under the hood will be wires.

Next on the list is to rebuild the heater box and install the blower motor. Hope to have that done by tomorrow or Thursday. After that I’ll paint and install the wings and the seat box. With those in place I can wire everything else up in the truck. Within about three weeks I hope to have all the wiring and electrical done in the truck including all the lighting and the dash board and gauges. We’ll see!

jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal