109 Expedition rig build

DCH109

Adventurer
Check the pictures of my chassis (Military 109) so you can see compair the difference on your 109 Jim if you want.
I am using the Military shackles on mine but then i have the correct chassis as well, and with the Toyota diffs and tranfercase i am in a totally different boat.

Front
p1010292.jpg

Rear
p1010293.jpg

Never mind the rust on the front of the frame, i will have the fixed once the fabrication is done.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
DCH109 said:
Never mind the rust on the front of the frame, i will have the fixed once the fabrication is done.
That's not rust. From what I'm told, that's Patina and is highly sought after. If you can scrape it off and bottle it, I imagine you can fund your whole project.

My frame was nothing but patina, but I don't have the time to properly package it.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Some progress over the past couple days. Exhaust is finished but finding some nice stainless hangers. The clutch and brakes are plumbed and bleed. On to the radiator and oil cooler this week. I had hoped to get it running by Friday but I don't think that will happen. Next week for sure!!

exhaust4.jpg

chassis19.jpg

Yorker

Adventurer
I had a chance to see Jim's 109 project yesterday... It is as impressive in person as it is portrayed in the pictures here- his attention to detail is amazing! I brought my camera to take pics but really those he has here do the job as well as any I could have taken.

It will be fun to see this truck evolve into the final product!:lurk:

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Work from the past couple days...

This is the home-made x-member that sits under the tranny/transfer case. I got that galvanized today along with the breakfast.

chassis20.jpg

Here's the breakfast in hours-old galvanize. I sanded and painted just the forward facing surface and the rest will stay raw.

cooling1.jpg

cooling2.jpg

Holes were drilled in the side of it where the engine oil cooler mounts.

cooling3.jpg

It's a little tight but not really that bad. Certainly not any tighter than the engine to radiator in my 88". This is why I needed to use the 6cyl bulkhead. The lower radiator hose will be a bit tricky!

cooling4.jpg

cooling5.jpg

On to oil cooler lines and a few wires before I can fire it up.

jim

Yorker

Adventurer
Jim-

What heater are you using?

You wanted a standard top- I think Ben Smith might have one, it has been a while since I was at his place though.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Man...On one hand I want you to hurry up and finish, but one other hand, I will miss this build once it's finished. What a conundrum.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
I'm going to miss working on it too. Maybe I won't say that in six months, but I doubt it. Half the fun of these trucks is planning out and executing the build but it'll be a while before I do another. But you never know....maybe a 109 pick-up truck next.

Anyway, the wings are hung temporarily just to make sure everything fits. Tight but good. I should have a couple radiator hoses today and I'll just run the two heater hoses together for now. I need to run a couple wires to the starter and hook up the boost gauge and it should be ready to fire. With luck it will be tomorrow night. Stay tuned!

chassis21.jpg

jim

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Mercedesrover said:
I'm going to miss working on it too. Maybe I won't say that in six months, but I doubt it. Half the fun of these trucks is planning out and executing the build but it'll be a while before I do another.
Well, OK... if I have to buy the finished project so you can start another, so be it... :bowdown:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal