1987 4Runner- Expedition Build Up.

Well shoot.... my wife just did something awful which means I HAVE to get a bigger truck.....

28424_560410336651_62002887_32396081_439712_n.jpg

We just adopted another dog (the Boxer). Her name is Bella and she is super sweet. Now we just need a bigger truck (and a trailer) to haul all our gear for wife, daughter, and three dogs.

We live on impulse decisions!

austintaco

Explorer
Nice dogs. We work with Boxer rescue here in Austin and we also have a female named "Bella".

However, if dogs could talk, and you asked her what her name was, she would say its " DamnitBella!". She gets into some trouble, but I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Nice dogs. We work with Boxer rescue here in Austin and we also have a female named "Bella".

However, if dogs could talk, and you asked her what her name was, she would say its " DamnitBella!". She gets into some trouble, but I wouldn't trade her for the world.

We've had her for 24 hours and damn... she is an awesome dog. We are lucky to have found her! Our other dogs are pretty jealous, but she is doing well. Smart, super sweet and very very gentle. We just raised a puppy (white dog) and Bella is a lot better dog than her. White dog's name is "DamnitMaya!" or "no!"

I found a clean FJ62 and will be picking it up next week, a stock version of this:

fj62newwheels.jpg

Last edited:
I've owned the truck for 10,000 miles now. She hasnt let me down yet. Only a hiccup or two... but nothing major.

How about a trip to the beach?!?

Houston at sunrise...
IMG_3101.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3107.jpg

I likes your bumper.
IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

Remnants of Ike
IMG_3111.jpg

The ship that my brother's wife went on a cruise with another man....:snorkel:

IMG_3154beachedit.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg

Of course... I was "randomly selected" BOTH times crossing the Bolivar ferry. Hmm, that kind of questions the randomness of it all...
IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

But, call me Mr. Brightside. I was the first on and first off the boat both times. Fine by me, lacking AC in the truck.

TIRED................. didnt finish, need to edit, check back later. SLEEP

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I recognize just about every spot from your photos. I need to go down there again sometime.

You were randomly selected because you look like a Wookie driving a Toyota. :coffeedrink:

Who would let soemone like that go by without at least an autograph?

Is your truck as stright as it looks? Body looks to be in great shape.

For the most part, yes. It was wrecked. Front passenger fender was replaced, headlight and grill held together with zip-ties.:Wow1: It looks factory until you look very closely. Inside the fender well you can see where the sheet metal has been re-shaped.

Just a heads up Jinal, it is usually bad practice to post somewhat irrelevant photos or videos in folks' threads. I dont give a hoot, but you might get chewed out elsewhere.

My only gripe, the 4runners arent even first gens!:smiley_drive:

AC repair...

In hotel parking lot naturally...
P120810_1010_02.jpg

P120810_1010.jpg

Yes, that is duct tape. Apparently the new dryers are smaller diameter than the original. This was the cause of the line failure. The dryer sat there dangling for who knows how long allowing the line to snap.
P120810_1010_01.jpg

New Orings everywhere and hope to get the new line tonight.... I just hope the AC works for the 12 hours each way to Colorado!

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
The AC looks to be a PITA man.
Man I just got back from a 6 day trip with the wife and kid and I have to say the 1st gen needed more room lol. I hear a lot of folks that hate the roof racks on their rigs. whats your take on your setup?

The AC looks to be a PITA man.
Man I just got back from a 6 day trip with the wife and kid and I have to say the 1st gen needed more room lol. I hear a lot of folks that hate the roof racks on their rigs. whats your take on your setup?

The AC really wasnt that bad to work on.
Happy to have fixed my AC last night! I also got a few of those nit-picky things done to the truck too. Adjusted my idle to compensate for the AC compressor and the spring I had to install to keep bring the RPMs back down. Windshield washer pump is now rewired and functioning! Grill painted black and more securely fitted. Loose headlight fixed. Need to change the oil this weekend, add the Add-A-Leaf to the rear springs. Pretty good day in the parking lot!

Roof Rack. Well, personally, I've got the rack mostly for looks. Its 100% functional though. But, I loaded the truck down and when we did the Palo Duro Canyon trip, having the gear up top and loaded down inside, going into a 15-20mph head wind across the Texas plains... it really SUCKED. I was getting 15 and 16 mpg!!!!! It was all low profile, light stuff up there too!

Plan is to one day do an offroad trailer using an 80s toyota pick up bed. BUT, I also bought the FJ62 in order to gain more room, and other conveniences while still be a cool old truck. But it will be a couple years before it sees its first trip. I may buy a parts truck (like I have the room) which may end up becoming a matching FJ60 trailer.:Wow1:

I'm going to test out Leary's trailer in Colorado next week. See how I like the trailer idea.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy