2013 Toyota 4Runner, Equipt Edition Build

joneseyyy

Explorer
Equipt, I have the 2013 4Runner Trail Edition and was looking at the OME suspension you used on your build. A local shop AOE4x4 American Overland Expedition in Lake Forest, CA recommended going with the icon system stage 3 here: http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/...ta-4Runner-Suspension-System-%2d-Stage-2.html

I literally know nothing about suspensions and I'm not sure which option is the best for what we will be doing. We won't be doing any rock crawling, just the off-road trails in the USA.

Can you give me some insight into why the OME might be a better option or the give and takes between the two?

Thanks so much for all the details on your build, I'm really enjoying it!

It's really a matter matter of what you're willing to spend and how much you value having a high performance suspension versus just having the clearance and weight handling ability of a basic suspension lift. OME is significantly cheaper and designed more as a basic offroad-oriented setup. Icon uses an adjustable, rebuild able full coilover setup with digressive valving, and yes, it is as superior setup (as it should be as it is much more expensive). OME does the job fine but lacks adjustability, rebuildability, and the valving of the Icons. I've driven ridden in OME equipped trucks but have chosen to run Icon stuff on my own 2010 4runner for the past ~60k miles with no regrets.

My blog: www.4funr.com

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
This rig is looking better every time I see an update. I like how you add with time after you spend a bit of time to know the vehicle more! One of the major selling points for the ARB is it's airbag compatible as well as compliance to the Australian Design Rules for vehicles. Similar to DOT regulations stateside.

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Hey everyone.

Ran away for a little bit. Sorry for the delay. Great question Cadrock, and equally great answer Joneseyyy. Thanks. The question on suspension will always come down to personal choice. Icon has an amazing suspension, and I would agree that their performance is better. But I also believe that the OME suspension is much better than stock. It is perhaps in the middle between the two, stock to Icon. I chose to go with OME based on my experience with the brand. it's advantage of increased load, and it's durability. I tend to travel very remote, even out of country. I don't want a suspension issue in the middle of nowhere. Icon does offer better valving and they are re-buildable, true. But as with most any high performance product, maintenance is required to keep the product performing. Rebuildable, means removing the shock and in most instances sending the shock in to Icon. That isn't for me. I am more interested in weight capacity and durability than performance. Completely personal opinion.

The water tank is an Expedition One tank that I have had for quite a while. Not even sure they still offer them.

Cheers,

Equipt

Falken Tire Swap

Falken Tire Swap

An opportunity presented itself last month, and I decided to give it a try. Falken Tire had contracted some folks I know to create some content on their Wildpeak Tires. The production goal was to test the performance of the tires on several platforms, and the production team approached me to use the 4Runner as one of those platforms. I had heard great things about the Falken brand and this tire in particular, so I agreed to their proposal. So, long story short, I have a full set of the Falken Wildpeak A/T AT02, 285/70R 17 on the truck now.

Falken 1.JPGFalken 2.JPGFalken 3.JPG

I have had these tires on the vehicle for almost a month now, and I am impressed. I have used them a bit off road, but the majority of my travel has been highway. A trip to Salt Lake City put about 1300 miles on them. They are very quiet and hold the road quite well. The tread is very deep, and the sidewall holds it's form well too. They look good on the truck, with a little bit of aggressiveness showing through around the treadline. I haven't found a down side to this tire yet. We'll see how they do over the long haul. One of the other surprises I found is that the upsized tire actually fit in the spare tire spot too. I honestly didn't think that was possible. You can see in the photo that it tucks up in there just fine. Maybe a 1/2" lower than the original spare, but not enough to cause a hazard. It will eventually move to the rear of the truck, but for now it is reassuring that I have a full size spare on board.

The timing of the tire swap was great too. AT has been overhauling my Chaser Trailer to bring it up to new spec and to match the new tow rig. I sourced a couple rims for the trailer and needed to match the tires. For now, I am using a couple of the BFG All Terrain ATs I had on the truck. The trailer see about a tenth of the miles the truck does, and it is much lighter. We'll see how the Falkens do over time compared to my trusty BFGs. At least I have spares now. Good to go for the next 100K miles or so.

Cheers,

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
It is Interesting that the 285/70/17 fit in the spare location. So these tires are a tad shorter than the BFG counterpart?

Equipt

Good question. The tire measurement system is intended to be used industry wide to comparison and compatibility. But on occasion there is a variance among manufacturers. So, I went out and measured them side by side. Both tires are the same height, 31-3/4". I hadn't purchased a BFG in the 285 size for the spare, based solely on an inaccurate assumption: it wouldn't fit. I justified the old 265 size spare as follows: 1. In 0ver 160,000 miles on BFG ATs on the 100, I had never gotten a flat. 2. I have a tire repair kit. 3. The vehicle is part time 4WD, and I could use the smaller tire on the front for a distance far enough to get a repair done and not bugger up the drive train. It would be fine until I came up with a rear bumper solution with a swing-out carrier.

But the Falken set came with a 5th tire, so we mounted it up, and it fit! I had never been wrong in my life up to that point. :) A first for everything.

Cheers,

Willman

Great Paul! Keep us posted on this new rubber. I too have the new rubber bug for an AT tire....It will be either your tires, Cooper ST Maxx or the BF AT's...

Narkhelek

A note of warning. The ARB bumper running/turn signal light housing will melt if you aren't running cooler LED bulbs vs incandescence bulbs. Apparently they were designed just for turn signal use and not DRL use. ARB was awesome and replaced both of mine under warranty though.

SOFME

Observer
I created the container storage bracket. It is fastened to the tie down rail with 4 adjustable studs with tightening rings.

View attachment 180429View attachment 180430

Can I get more intel on the locking brackets used for the water tank? specifically the part which mates to the cargo rail system. I'm in the process of making a rack for scuba tanks and have the same rail system in my truck, but I don't want to use turnbuckles if so etching sexier works well. Thank you!

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Noooo, I recently ditched my Duratracs for BFG ATs in part because you chose to stick with them despite having many choices for your new truck. Oh well...I'm still very happy with the switch to the E rated BFG ATs compared to the E rated Duratracs. I just finished a week long trip to Moab (trip report in the completed adventures and events section) and the BFG ATs performed great.

Equipt

You should have no regret with your BFG choice. In my opinion, they are still my favorite tire. If these hadn't been handed over to me, they wouldn't be on the truck. So far the Falken tires have done well, but the jury is still out. I haven't sold the BFG set I have. 2 are on my Chaser now, and the other 2 in storage. I am keeping them because I like them that much. They will again be on my truck. So have no fear, your choice was well made.

Cheers,

Equipt

So Cal Mountain Rendezvous

We went out and stretched our legs at the So Cal Mountain Rendezvous last weekend. I thought I would share a couple photos of the truck actually doing something. We hauled the recently finished Equipt Chaser 2.0 to the mountains close to Big Bear CA. An absolutely beautiful place.

Chaser Assembled 3.JPGIMG_0905.JPG

The event was great, and we had quite a bit of interest in the new set up. Thanks to everyone that came by to say hi.

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77