AEV 10 Gallon Fuel Tank

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
Why would it not fit or be adapted to fit a stock tire carrier? Marketing reason so we need to buy the correct bumper and tire carrier?:peepwall:

I don't feel that this was negative towards AEV. There is a reality that most successful companies that come out with "revolutionary" or unique products design them only to be used with their line of products. Its a marketing strategy, and would likely help sell more units of each of the compatible products for new buyers, and could be a major factor for buyers with a competitors product to make the switch. It was a fair question, but as mentioned, the factory tailgate wouldn't be up for this kind of abuse.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I think it's also important to remember that AEV are in the business of "Complete Solutions" that "Just Work". When you buy from them, you know a product has been extensively designed, tested and proven to work and do exactly as it should. Fullstop.

They could make a ton of compromises and spend a ton more time/money designing products that work with other products, but then the item in question would be full of compromises and wouldn't serve it's intended purpose as well as the custom job.

A good example is the new 10 gal fuel tank; I'm sure they could have designed it to work with other manufacturers tire carriers, and due to band X being a bit shorter, and brand Y being a bit taller, and brand Z's weight capacity, to be universal, the tank would have to be only 7 gals, be harder to mount, not as sturdy to mount and would need to be changed every time brand X, Y and Z changed their tire carriers.

When talking about serious expedition gear, I'm not interested in compromises.

-Dan

JPK

Explorer
So the Swiss's perspective is not lost along with his implied aspersions, the actual quote, with the ducking-behind-brick-wall icon, is provided below.

If the author honestly intended to "just ask a simple question" the author of that simple question would have had no reason to believe that such an icon would have any relevence to his simple question.

Why would it not fit or be adapted to fit a stock tire carrier? Marketing reason so we need to buy the correct bumper and tire carrier?:peepwall:

cjlewis

SE Expedition Society
I suspect the icon was in preparation for all the emotional responses. :REOutShootinghunter

So let talk about what this new product can and cannot do. Anymore hands-on experience to share Scott?

JPK

Explorer
I suspect the icon was in preparation for all the emotional responses. :REOutShootinghunter

Yeah, to his crapping on AEV for something right and not half axxed.

As far as the product, we know it will mount securely to the AEV tire carrier, carry 10.2 gals of fuel or water and not rip the oem tailgate off its hinges.

JPK

Last edited:

Bad Karma

Adventurer
I hope this comes out soon. I have to build a tire carrier for my Scrambler and would love to build it around this tank!

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Looks amazing. My only complaint is something that heavy, that far back, creates too much leverage and makes the front end lose traction on hills. I don't think I could come up with a better idea, but the laws of physics work against it. If all you do is run accros flat ground then it's never going to be an issue. AEV always comes up with neat ideas and products.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Scott Brady

Founder
Looks amazing. My only complaint is something that heavy, that far back, creates too much leverage and makes the front end lose traction on hills.

Just put in the HEMI to balance it out ;)

We still have one of the trucks from the trip here at the office. Look for a detailed installation and image review in the next week.

Overall on the trip, the tanks were flawless. It works well with the Super Siphon, but the hose needs to be a little longer. I suspect AEV will sell an appropriate length hose.

Regarding the weight, it only needs to be back there when you need it and you can siphon fuel out once the main tank drops a little.

Only negative I have noticed so far is a slight reduction in the already horrible rear window visibility. Time for a back-up camera!

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
So the Swiss's perspective is not lost along with his implied aspersions, the actual quote, with the ducking-behind-brick-wall icon, is provided below.

If the author honestly intended to "just ask a simple question" the author of that simple question would have had no reason to believe that such an icon would have any relevence to his simple question.
JPK, maybe because I am Director of Marketing of an automotive OEM supplier myself and I'm actually pretty good in convincing our customers that it is best to use all of our components rather than mixing some of our competitor's in. You apparently took my question personally and I would like to apologize for this. If you would like to take this further, please PM me. Let's keep this thread clean and as Chris said, lets turn our attention back to a really interesting new product ...

JPK

Explorer
The Swiss,

I didn't take offense to your unfair commentary on AEV, who fitted their fuel tank to their tire carrier for good reason, so much as this post of yours below.

But I accept the appology.

Thanks for the insight, it's appreciated. And now please take a chill-pill; I was not "crapping" on AEV - really like their stuff and commitment - was just asking a simple question :D

JPK

Ryanc

SE Expedition Society
That gas can is pretty ingenious. I suspect their are going to be a lot of copy cats with this one. Much better idea that hanging jerry cans out like outriggers.

Scott Brady

Founder
Hey Scott,
Are you going to post some pics of your Southern Arizona adventure? :sombrero:

Thanks, Ben

Ben,

It will be in Overland Journal early next year. Thanks for asking.

But here is a teaser.
299030_10150427020473275_640113274_10950671_5124595_n.jpg

ramrunnr

These Cans look really good! If someone wasn't carrying their spare tire on the back (maybe it could be in the back where the rear seat used to be:)) could more than one tank be sandwiched together? That way someone could have double the fuel or have a fuel tank and a water tank. Looking at the pics I don't think it would, but then I might be missing something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp