AmbuLand build thread

patoz

Expedition Leader
None of the Guns we have here would fit in that space :D

Did your ambulance have a Gun compartment? A friend who used to work for the city bought a Crestline Ambulance from California... The ambulance crew were a little surprised to find it came equipped with a gun compartment :Wow1: (can't remember if it was for the driver or crew).

Nope, no guns allowed here in any county owned vehicles, except Law Enforcement, or carried by employees while on duty. It's grounds for dismissal.

Now, back in the '70s before we had all theses silly rules, we all concealed carried on the EMS rigs. Back then, if we arrived on the scene of a shooting or domestic dispute, etc. we went in, even if Law Enforcement was on the scene or not. Now we have to sit on the corner and wait for them to arrive, make entry, and clear the scene, before we can go in. Of course things are a lot different now too, people will shoot you at the drop of a hat.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
For the most part, if you're known to have a gun, potential robbers will arrive armed, and the situation can get ugly fast. Nothing being carried onboard is worth dying for. From what I understand, when they bought that ambulance 15-20 years ago, a lot of US rigs were being held up. Up here, very few people have guns, and even fewer sidearms. It's a major PITA to do anything with a sidearm... Even taking it to the range has restrictions.

OSUFlyer

Longtime lurker, have really enjoyed your thread.

That locking compartment may of also been designed to store narcotics. At my FD each ambulance has a small locking compartment where we keep our pain and sedation meds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patoz

Expedition Leader
That locking compartment may of also been designed to store narcotics.

That's exactly what that locked compartment is for. My 1993 didn't come from Wheeled Coach with one, but it looks like the top compartment closest to the front was modified and a locking latch was added to it.

When the FD where I worked took over the ambulance service, the ambulances we received didn't have a locked compartment. So, in order to meet the current regulations, we purchased heavy duty portable gun safes with combination locks and an anchor cable for this purpose.

Abitibi

Explorer
Quick little update. Installed more led lights inside my cabinets, install more upper cabinets at the front and received the missing link into my soon to be custom poptop ambo. Any guess? ;)
I also started painting the lower cabinets but no pics till the job is completed ;)

d5a87f68e7c4962d4204af1408af4b9d.jpg

3d661a622beb6f3aaf2985dbfd574ad1.jpg

7d2a5b1d4f30be308246f098e3ae0e6a.jpg

On a side note, a year ago I replaced both alternators, never had a problem since but couple days ago I ran a different program which prompted these two error codes. Any idea what does are? Still no issues with charging system, just curious why these codes show up.

c94fd319611dc067eea4fdc7943f0e13.jpg

And two friends also with the same vintage 7.3 have a much lower IPR%. Theirs at idle is around 9 to 11 while mine is up at 16 and even higher when I engage my Dptuner. Insight?

587d0d986add6dc888d4bbb1b45ca1fd.jpg

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Roof Top Tent?

I'm no help on the other things... I'm going to have to google IPR to know what it is. Yes, I'm a mean when it comes to diesel maintenance... driven lots of diesel work trucks, but only ever fuelled them.

maxhuve

IPR ignition pressure regulator; it is on the left side of the hpop. The good news is it can be rebuild. dieselorings.com has the kit.

Abitibi

Explorer
IPR ignition pressure regulator; it is on the left side of the hpop. The good news is it can be rebuild. dieselorings.com has the kit.
But when do they need rebuild? When they are around 10% or 20%? Or how to tell?

Thx

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I think your plan should work well. How big a hole?

You could almost use an attic access ladder to get up into it... :D

maxhuve

It might need just a cleaning. I do not rember very well, but there is a tiny magnet inside that might be stuck. It could also be the nut at the end of the regulator that allows the solenoid to move. There is a replacement nut in the kit.

Abitibi

Explorer
The plan is to cut a whole in both the current ambo roof and RTT floor approximately 52" wide by 72" long (Ambo roof opening will be about 2" narrower to allow bed platform to rest). I made a template keeping in consideration the upper lateral braces but don't have it handy with me now. I'll reinforce all the cut braces with a 2x2 square aluminum tubing running front to back and weld it to each of those braces, should do the trick! The actual bed will be about 64" x 90"

The challenge is to make a bed platform that can be easily accessed, maximize bed size while still allowing to raise or lower the top while in bed mode. And obviously I'll switch the latch system to lock/unlock from the inside instead of the current outside clamps. What I came up with is one latch at the front about 24" long (to climb in/out of bed) and a two piece fold platform with a hinge in between, each panel 24" long so 48" once opened up. At the end, that fold up piece will likely end up longer. Probably doesn't make a lot of sense and a drawing would make more sense but it makes a lot of sense in my head, hahaha!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven

Members online