An Axe - Seriously?

Vince1

Adventurer
Odd thread. I guess I'm the only one who carries a heavy axe, mostly for the sledge end. Clearing a trail or making firewood is one use, but I sure like that I can persuade a stubborn pin or bent component back into place. As for Zombies, well, this tool usually sleeps in the tent with me.

yopauly

I've been debating carrying my 40 year old Craftsman full size. The Mojave and Sonoran deserts have never offered much to chop but I might find room under the back seat or on the inside of my tailgate, just in case of those pesky zombies.

Douglas

Observer
Seeing as how it is a new year, I'll report that I came to three downed trees that blocked my path in 2011. Two of then I cleared using an axe. The third I left, as it was too big for my axe and my chainsaw while traveling alone. It exceeded my safety tolerance being about 3.5 feet in diameter and under load. I live in the Pacific N.W., and fallen trees are just a fact of life in the mountains here. That being said, I carry an axe, and do use it. For those that don't and don't see a need, just consider that there are others in differing environments that may encounter situations that you don't normally. For some, and axe may never be needed. For others, it is a necessity. For the majority, it is somewhere in between.

Woodsman

Adventurer
Thanks to this thread popping back up I'm now the proud owner of 3 new ax handles. This reminded me I need a new handle to replace the cracked and loose one in my old Plumb Boy Scout hatchet. I've had it since I was a kid. I sometimes use it for splitting kindling for the woodstove. I was heading in the direction of a REAL hardware store about 20 mile away. I needed a gasket for the glass window of the stove and they sell the style I like. So I grabbed the hatchet and took it with me. As I was about to walk into the store I saw a couple of yuppie looking women coming out and expected some strange looks walking into a store with a hatchet. I walked in and asked about handles. The man looked and said I'm glad you brought it so we can match it up!:) So i got a new handle and a spare as they are harder to find locally. The are made in USA hickory and made to be exact replacements for my Boy Scout hatchet.

While I was there I bought a new handle for my 36" full size felling ax. Last handle I broke in it I replaced with a straight handle. I've never really liked the feel of that handle. I prefer a curved or fawns foot shape. They had several with the same part # but different thicknesses. I found a thick one that felt just wonderful in my old bear paw. It too is made in USA out of hickory. So soon I will be rehanged handles in both my hatchet and ax.

My college aged son likes to work out and lift weights. He has expressed an interest in chopping wood as a core workout like some of the rodeo guys have been doing. I'm going to find a nice head and show him how to hang a handle on it. I'm pretty sure his grandfather has couple of old quality ones laying around the shed with broken handles. I'll show him how to sharpen his own ax so he has one for this purpose. We have lots of wood around here that needs cut!

Good simple tools are things of joy!

I grew up using an old wood-handles Keen Kutter axe for cleaning up small limbs while my dad whittled away the bigger stuff with the chainsaw. As I grew older (12-13 and on) I started splitting wood and by the time I was 16-17 I was splitting 50-80 face cords (ricks) of hard splitting beech to sell each winter. Of course, this splitting was all done with a splitting maul. I can attest to the core benefits of splitting with the maul as I was one of if not the stongest guy in school from 6th grade to graduation even when all the football guys spent their time in the weight room. Well, the splitting didn't do it all. As a farm boy, I also threw somewhere between 10 to 15K bales of hay each summer along with other work.
The key to splitting is to wind up using your entire core from the start of your swing to the finish. If you do it right, your core muscles will feel it. Most people don't do much more than let the weight of the tool hit the wood.

As far as the fancy smancy "boutique" axes. I've tried a couple but never felt they accomplished the task at hand any better than an old "auction axe", an old Keen Kutter axe or a well-sharpened Craftsman axe. If you have the money to spend on a nice looking tool that is too nice to leave out in the weather then by all means buy the fancy axe and support the craftsman that are making them . . . just don't fool yourself into thinking the axe makes the man. Operator is key. :ylsmoke:

Oh, almost forgot, inside my rig I carry a plastic handled full length Craftsman which swings and cuts as well as anything I've ever tried.

Last edited:

disco 03

I carry an axe, wyoming saw, small splitting maul and when headed to N WI fireroads for exploring, a chainsaw. #296 :)

I was appreciating my axe after my chainsaw died (AGAIN) this weekend. Was cutting the notch when the chainsaw stopped running and wouldn't restart (yes refueled and spent an hour working on it... Finished the tree with the axe....

Oh and 300, whoop de doo.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I have taken my daughters aged 11 and 13 out camping with me numerous times and they are becoming quite the seasoned campers, and we often go out looking for firewood with an axe and they love to watch the dynamics of me cutting up large logs and splitting them... and all in the peace and quiet of the bush..my dad taught me many years ago how to survive in the bush and I hope to be able to continue to teach my children the same.. In regards to old VS new and the gentleman who would rather use an old quality axe head and hickory handle...kudos to you sir...we have unfortunately become a society of disposable items and old world craftsmanship is a dying breed... I have a firemans axe as well as a hatchet and will never go on expedition without at LEAST those 2... keep it real...use an AXE....
SHAYNE...the aussie..
P.S... post 301 and i love this thread..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333