An Axe - Seriously?

Pathfinder

Adventurer
I once spent 10 hours sitting in the snow, waiting for someone to find a chainsaw so we could all go home. An axe might have worked, but a bow saw might not have been enough.

We were riding dual sport bikes in Wyoming, and were about 75 miles up to the snow line, and turned around to go back home in the late afternoon. But the road we had ridden in on in the morning, was now closed with a 4 foot diameter tree all the way across it, extending 10 feet beyond the dirt road on either side. A family in a 4 WD Chevy pickup was blocked in along with us, and even with a chain and a winch could not move the tree from across the road. Their kids were getting cold and hungry.

Six of us lifted one of the bikes over the tree by hand ( Yamaha 450 ), and then one of my riding partners rode back down the mountain to try to find a samaritan at 7 pm on a Sunday evening who would drive back up the mountain with a chainsaw and rescue everyone. He did, and we finally got out, but it was a great demonstration of why you take a chain saw with you when you go up a mountain on forest roads.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Gotta have both. 80% of guys trying to cut a hanging tree that's fallen across a road with a bow saw will bind the saw either breaking it or getting it stuck. Bow saws also lack when the tree is flat on the ground and/or large diameter. I love my bow saw and would rather use it than any axe, but if you have to carry just one, the axe is the one. Might take a while, might hurt, might need to re-sharpen, but an axe will get the job done. I carry a Bahco bow saw (excellent), an Estwing 26" axe, and a leatherman with file for sharpening. If during hunting season I also have a diamond hone. But I agree, most of these axes etc you see on trucks are just eye candy.

st

pr39

The Pulaski is the number one choice for many woodsmen around the world including the top choice for U.S. Smokejumpers.

Chili

Explorer
I once spent 10 hours sitting in the snow, waiting for someone to find a chainsaw so we could all go home. An axe might have worked, but a bow saw might not have been enough.

We were riding dual sport bikes in Wyoming, and were about 75 miles up to the snow line, and turned around to go back home in the late afternoon. But the road we had ridden in on in the morning, was now closed with a 4 foot diameter tree all the way across it, extending 10 feet beyond the dirt road on either side. A family in a 4 WD Chevy pickup was blocked in along with us, and even with a chain and a winch could not move the tree from across the road. Their kids were getting cold and hungry.

Six of us lifted one of the bikes over the tree by hand ( Yamaha 450 ), and then one of my riding partners rode back down the mountain to try to find a samaritan at 7 pm on a Sunday evening who would drive back up the mountain with a chainsaw and rescue everyone. He did, and we finally got out, but it was a great demonstration of why you take a chain saw with you when you go up a mountain on forest roads.

I have a chainsaw, and I use it often. I take it every time I head to the wilderness. But it is a very average 18" blade, which would be completely ineffective on a 4 FOOT IN DIAMETER TREE! Unless you live among the redwoods, you would be completely foolish to carry a chainsaw that would be capable of helping on a 4' diameter tree, on an average trip. Either you're exaggerating or you must be mad, to suggest we should all be prepared for such an abnormal obstacle to fall in our path.

You should be prepared for 80% of what you anticipate you may need, at the most, if you're packing HEAVY.. Otherwise you are way overburdened and over-packed. To suggest everyone should carry a chainsaw, and validate that by using an example that maybe 5% of the chainsaws in the world could tackle, is nonsense.

BTW, it took 6 of you to lift a bike that weighs less than 300 pounds??

This story sounds like a tall tale and has no business in a discussion on the validity of carrying specific gear.

Balzer

Adventurer
Only got a few pages of this thread before the bickering got the best of me.
However I did want to state my reasons for carring an axe.
#1 reason. I always have, everyone in my family have always have had axes during outdoor activities. (dad uncles grandfathers) so its a traditional thing.
cutting wood (chopping, kindling, clear trails) A saw is good too has its place. Something particularly handy is knocking off the small limbs so you can get to the tree trunk on dead pines.
things like chopping up ice, busting up really hard dirt so you can dig, makes a good hammer.
-
One use I had the experiance to whitness, was after a vehicle rollover, an axe was used to chop into the door and get it open so the people could get out.
-
I dont always carry an axe I do have a cheap hatchet mounter to the rear bumper of my jeep at all times though. I have used it mostly for dirt work rather than wood work though, so its pretty beat up and dull right now (I know some of you are cringing at that lol)

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I am amazed that there are 35 pages on this subject. :elkgrin:

I was suprised to see this thread still going myself!

I have a chainsaw, and I use it often. I take it every time I head to the wilderness. But it is a very average 18" blade, which would be completely ineffective on a 4 FOOT IN DIAMETER TREE!..................

On that, I beg to differ. I would much rather have a chainsaw than an axe, if confronted by a large tree.

A good saw, with a real chain on it (not the 'anti-kickback safety special' chain they sell at most big box stores) will tackle a tree many times the diameter of the beavertail length.

You don't have to cut through in one cut, you can cut out 'chunks' as you go, and eventually be through, or have enough removed to get over/around the tree, or winch/pull it out of the way.

Bigfoot1963

Observer
I too carry a pulaski, due to the fact that it was given to me by my Dad. BTW here is an animated gif for those that want to beat a dead horse....... :elkgrin: beating-dead-horse.gif
Yup, I think I said that about 15 or so pages ago (not going to go back and look). I think we need a beating a dead horse smiley.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk