(Another) Forest Living Suburban Build Thread

Burb One

Adventurer
I really like what your doing with your suburban, especially the multi-use mobile living/house setup. Reading through your posts, I noticed the mention of the heat exchanger/hot water pump system in your misc mods on your truck, from the beginning of the thread. As you suggested, would you mind doing a write up or explaining how you put it together?

Hey jcoov1104.

This past weekend I just redid the whole heat exchanger shower setup, and it is much, much better. My pump was being eaten up by the engine bay heat. I fit the pump, filter and mixing valves into a 18" harbor freight toolbox with quick disconnects for the heating loop. Uses a five gallon bucket as a "tank" and also an additional fountain pump to bring water from a river/ lake up to 75ft away. Everything fits in the bucket and the tool chest. I'll get pictures when i go camping next and post all the details. I have one or two improvements I want to make before making it "final"

I also recently added some curtains in the back. I took curtain material and think Mylar (thick enough to not crinkle or make too much sound). I sewed the mylar to the exterior of the curtain material and sewed a 1/4 inch metal rod between and then glued some high quality magnets on the window. A few weeks now and it works perfect. I am not sure if these curtains or the paint makes the biggest difference, but I can now sleep in to 1030-11 even in direct sunlight before having to open some windows and turn on some fans.

20160729_130015.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Very true on a daily...

Even with it really just being a towing/ haul/ camping rig, I figure it looks a lot better than the pinstripped fading black paint... However I will miss the character. Many a times, a few "extra" lifted silverados pull up next to me with never seen off the road shiny paint jobs and I get the quote "wow you really use that thing!" no ********, it's a truck!

The other nice thing was I had a ton of rock and tree dents in various places,and I bondoed them and smoothed them out. They are gone now!

I got the second coat on yesterday. This morning, must say it looks pretty good! It's not a perfect job, and there is a few touch up spots I will have to hit, if I ever get around to it. It looks 100% good at 5 ft, and 80% at a few inches. I did give myself a proof of concept yesterday. When I went on the roof to do the second layer, I left the back ft uncovered as a last spot to stand/ lay before getting off the roof (and I could then paint that layer from a ladder). That area's black paint I couldn't even put my knee on it was so hot. The 90% covered first layer area was at least 30 degrees cooler in the sun!
Do I need to say it? .
worthless.gif

Burb One

Adventurer
Do I need to say it? .
worthless.gif

I know, I know. I don't like pictures of it just sitting in my driveway. I never take pictures on my phone either when camping. With that in mind, I had my friend bring his nice camera out last camping trip to take some pictures becuase I knew i wouldn't.... He hasn't gotten them to me yet:( With that, hopefully this will hold you over. I found some phone handheld videos out the window that shows some of the paint?:) Also, nice to see the suspension travel, first part was at a reasonable 5-15 mph (someone was coming up the trail, then I got up to 40-50 on the same trail and conditions (My friend did the best with his hand and phone out the window). The truck literally rides the same as it does on pavement to a passenger. I am 100 percent happy. I MAY go with a heavier front spring at some point because it is a little grabby on pavement, especially for lazy long stretch driving, but off road it makes it feel like a dream.

BONUS
I also made a boombox this weekend from a old beat up toolbox and headunit I had laying around (sounds so much better than anything I could buy and the 20+ hour battery life is nice to have next to the lake). It charges with a 12v plug

Atomic178

I am super happy you are so pleased with the swap! I might have to steal that video you took and some of your testimonials if you don't mind to put on my facebook page (Atomic Fabrication and Performance).

I love this build, its so cool compared to the drag racing stuff I normally deal with haha. You are in Atlanta area right? I do custom PCM tuning with hptuners also if you want to take a trip to the Huntsville, AL area I will get you set up with some tuning to find you a little extra power, mileage, and tweak the transmission settings. I know you have the range for it :p The cruise control downshift points are actually different than the normal shift table, making it downshift easier (or harder) is very easy.

The true test of the coilovers, what did the wife/gf say about the ride? What shock settings are you using?

Burb One

Adventurer
I am super happy you are so pleased with the swap! I might have to steal that video you took and some of your testimonials if you don't mind to put on my facebook page (Atomic Fabrication and Performance).

I love this build, its so cool compared to the drag racing stuff I normally deal with haha. You are in Atlanta area right? I do custom PCM tuning with hptuners also if you want to take a trip to the Huntsville, AL area I will get you set up with some tuning to find you a little extra power, mileage, and tweak the transmission settings. I know you have the range for it The cruise control downshift points are actually different than the normal shift table, making it downshift easier (or harder) is very easy.

The true test of the coilovers, what did the wife/gf say about the ride? What shock settings are you using?
Hey atomic,

The first thing out of anybody who sat in it off-road has said something about how smooth it is, it's completely changed the truck.

Yeah you can go ahead and use any of the videos or pictures. Next time I go out I'm going to bring the GoPro and I want to see it from a better view in action, I'll post that after it happens.

I'm actually in the San Francisco Bay Area not Atlanta, I really wish I could take you up on that offer if you're ever around here LOL. It's something I really need to figure out on the truck, pretty much the only thing left to do on the truck. How hard is it and what exactly do I need to get in to change those variables? I've always wanted to look in the tuning stuff given my background but I've never had time. Don't even really care about power at all, just want thr cruise control to be less harsh and the transmission shift points.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Atomic178

That's awesome! If any of your offroad friends want a set or want to do the swap send them my way and ill shoot you a referral bonus :)

I thought you were in Atlanta for some reason. There are a few software packages out there, with the two most popular being EFILive and HPTuners, I use the latter. They are pretty expensive, between $500-$650 for just the cable and software, then there is the issue of knowing what to do haha. I have been tuning for about 10 years now and actually just back from Alaska where I did a group tuning session over 3 days with 13 different vehicles (all the way from stock LS swapped OBS trucks to 900hp turbo 408s). Getting the software and knowing what to do with it is the hard part, actually changing the right table is very easy.

If you have another truck to drive you could mail your PCM to me and I can make changes and mail it back to you. I usually do changes and such via email, but that requires the other person have HPTuners as well.

Burb One

Adventurer
That's awesome! If any of your offroad friends want a set or want to do the swap send them my way and ill shoot you a referral bonus :)

I thought you were in Atlanta for some reason. There are a few software packages out there, with the two most popular being EFILive and HPTuners, I use the latter. They are pretty expensive, between $500-$650 for just the cable and software, then there is the issue of knowing what to do haha. I have been tuning for about 10 years now and actually just back from Alaska where I did a group tuning session over 3 days with 13 different vehicles (all the way from stock LS swapped OBS trucks to 900hp turbo 408s). Getting the software and knowing what to do with it is the hard part, actually changing the right table is very easy.

If you have another truck to drive you could mail your PCM to me and I can make changes and mail it back to you. I usually do changes and such via email, but that requires the other person have HPTuners as well.

Atomic-

I'll send you a PM, super interested.

boll_rig

Adventurer
Any full body pics of the liner job yet Geno? Really want to see how that thing looks. Also theres a chance Ill be in the bay area with my rig in a couple weeks if you are around.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Any full body pics of the liner job yet Geno? Really want to see how that thing looks. Also theres a chance Ill be in the bay area with my rig in a couple weeks if you are around.

Oooh! Oooh! Burban meet!! Although my rig is bone stock compared to what you and geronracing have done to yours.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Oooh! Oooh! Burban meet!! Although my rig is bone stock compared to what you and geronracing have done to yours.
I wouldn't call your Z71 "bone stock." In fact, I'm basically cyber-stalking you and copying pretty much everything you do. I ordered all the parts for my dual battery setup and my suspension from your build thread, right down to the part numbers. :sombrero:
I even downloaded your pictures onto my computer and put them in a file called "jelorian." How's that for cyber-stalking? :Wow1:

Burb One

Adventurer
Hey Burb Mafia,

Haven't had much time to do stuff the past few weeks, but did get some time this weekend:

1st: received a tune from Atomic last week and installed it. First impressions are amazing. Off the throttle is much, much better, almost feels like it has smaller tires and looks to get a .3mpg boost (at least in the known small loop I drove a few times over the last few days. Surprisingly it also seems to have gotten a power boost, which I did not expect at all! The real reason for the tune was cruise control and towing. We got pretty indepth, but basically wanted cruise control to not downshift as early and allow for some mph difference before gunning it (such as on rolling hills). Also, in tow and haul mode when towing my trailer to not search as much through the gears. I won't make my opinion on these ones until I get a few long trips under the belt... hopefully I won't have to take out the PCM again to send for fine tuning... saying that Atomic has been awesome in trying to work all my nuances into a tune I will like:) I completely recommend.

2nd: installed an oversized 40,000 btu transmission cooler. Before, I had an oversized B&M cooler installed with an automatic fan, and it has done great with my big tires, and before that towing on my small tires. I definitely recommend these coolers to any GMT800 owner, in fact I would call it mandatory for the price. I have included the amazon link to the cooler, the thermostats I used for the fan, and the fan. I also included some pictures of the brackets I made using ace hardware aluminum.

fan.jpg

Links below:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CJ062Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N8J6A6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIGE9G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now... if you have big tires AND are are towing 5k+ pounds regularly, you need might need more cooling. The above B&M was sufficient, however every once and awhile while towing, or in very extreme temepratures and fully loaded my temps would go up to around 210~ which i didn't like. Atomic pointed my to this below cooler which he uses for his high hp truck. IT IS HUGE. I haven't tested it yet, but in normal driving I TRIED to get it above 190 degrees and I couldn't (the cooler has a bypass for below 180). I went up and down a local hill 10-15 times at 25 mph at 3/4 throttle (which seems to be the sweet spot for raising temperatures, and it would not go above 185! I reused the fan and above brackets to mount this.

4.jpg

Link below (there's also a 30 dollar cheaper one without the bypass for super cold-weather applications
https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Cool-LPD4739-4739-Pressure-Transmission/dp/B00803CTDA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475467583&sr=8-2&keywords=tru+cooler

Last edited:

Burb One

Adventurer
I also got a PM about my fuel tank setup.
I stole the idea from the below links. I pretty much used it as a template. I took some pictures of it install too just in case some one needs more info.

Some notes:
I cut out the tire holder completely and welded two U-cross beams across the frame and simply got long bolts to attach to the stock f150 hardware to hold the tank
I used some aluminum to make the fill tubes both into the stock location
I tee'd the tank into the fill hose, and the vent into the stock vent (Technically the stock tank vent is good for 100 gallon)
I wired the pump to a switch in the cabin that only is powered when the ignition is on, and also has a small buzzer to let me know when it's on and if I accidentally left it on. Kind of annoying because it takes ~10 mins for the tank to fill, but it is what it is.
I got a fuel gauge on the gash (I will get a picture of this tomorrow)

Pretty simple install if you are okay with minor fabrication. It definitely works, and gives you a ton of range!!! Let me know if anyone has any questions!

Forum Link http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/lofiversion/index.php?t30390.html

20161001_115243.jpg
20161001_115302.jpg
20161001_115312.jpg

Links:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1335986&cc=1122398&jnid=570&jpid=0
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Gauge-2-52mm-full-sweep-black-black-white-LED-low-fuel-warning-001FBB/271455027802?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D39035%26meid%3Deabbbb4dd2ec478d819e80c3571e02bb%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D18%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D260922922417
https://www.amazon.com/Perko-0126DP0BLK-Black-Marine-Fuel/dp/B000LC6HKY

Burb One

Adventurer

Let us know when you are in town! Jelorian and I had planned to meet soon because he's getting my old transmission cooler. I tooka few driveway pics last night, here they are! The paint job is rock solid. Very happy. Net summer I will have a bunch of touch up to do, but I am happy!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Jelorian

Adventurer
I wouldn't call your Z71 "bone stock." In fact, I'm basically cyber-stalking you and copying pretty much everything you do. I ordered all the parts for my dual battery setup and my suspension from your build thread, right down to the part numbers. :sombrero:
I even downloaded your pictures onto my computer and put them in a file called "jelorian." How's that for cyber-stalking? :Wow1:

Martin, I'm flattered indeed. Thanks for the props!

Jelorian

Adventurer
I also got a PM about my fuel tank setup.
I stole the idea from the below links. I pretty much used it as a template. I took some pictures of it install too just in case some one needs more info.

Some notes:
I cut out the tire holder completely and welded two U-cross beams across the frame and simply got long bolts to attach to the stock f150 hardware to hold the tank
I used some aluminum to make the fill tubes both into the stock location
I tee'd the tank into the fill hose, and the vent into the stock vent (Technically the stock tank vent is good for 100 gallon)
I wired the pump to a switch in the cabin that only is powered when the ignition is on, and also has a small buzzer to let me know when it's on and if I accidentally left it on. Kind of annoying because it takes ~10 mins for the tank to fill, but it is what it is.
I got a fuel gauge on the gash (I will get a picture of this tomorrow)

Pretty simple install if you are okay with minor fabrication. It definitely works, and gives you a ton of range!!! Let me know if anyone has any questions!

Forum Link http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/lofiversion/index.php?t30390.html

View attachment 369454
View attachment 369455
View attachment 369456

Links:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1335986&cc=1122398&jnid=570&jpid=0
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Gauge-2-52mm-full-sweep-black-black-white-LED-low-fuel-warning-001FBB/271455027802?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D39035%26meid%3Deabbbb4dd2ec478d819e80c3571e02bb%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D18%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D260922922417
https://www.amazon.com/Perko-0126DP0BLK-Black-Marine-Fuel/dp/B000LC6HKY

Awesome! Thanks for all the info! Looks pretty straight forward! A future mod for me for sure and I don't have to carry jerry cans unless I really wanted to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal