Arctic Ocean Expedition: March-April, 2007

toyrunner95

Explorer
its called a wireless card, they can use it to hook up to the internet via sattelite instead of trying to find a wireless network. you can actually do the same thing with clearwire. i use it all the time.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
RedDog said:
Question for the Expedition: Were you fellas still possibly having a joinable dinner in Canmore? For that matter any breakfast / lunch / dinner from there to Edmonton where you'd welcome a guest?

Dumb-Azz question for the house: Can someone tune in a raw wireless rookie in layman's terms how the boys are on-line in a mobile vehicle connecting to the world with a notebook? This is a direction I wish to go and seriously don't know what technology I should even be researching. A quick guiding hand here would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

RedDog,

Last I talked to Chris we are still planning on getting together on Saturday in Canmore - it all depends on how closely to their schedule they can keep. You want to join? Send me a PM. I'm actually not sure why they are going up through Edmonton - going from Banff to Jasper and bypassing Edmonton is a MUCH nicer drive. Better yet taking the Forestry Trunk Road up to the end is an adventure in itself this time of year! Anything other then Highway 2 for me!

Scott and Chris are using a Kyocera CDMA 1X/EVDO card on the laptop. If you're interested, I can give you a tour of all that stuff - I don't sell it but I have been in the industry for over a decade and have most of the hardware myself. It's a pricey option, but for us in Alberta the coverage is simply amazing. BC is getting better everyday too. Even if we can't get together this weekend, I am planning to go to Edmonton on Monday for work. If I drive instead of fly (would be with a company vehicle or rental - not worth taking the truck), maybe we can meet late afternoon.

Pete

Scott Brady

Founder
We are planning on doing a dinner on the 18th in Calgary. I know we posted it somewhere....

We have ice climbing that day and will be driving into Calgary in the afternoon. I recall discussing some dinner options somewhere, but cant seem to find them.

Would one of the locals mind suggesting a restaurant on the south or west side of Calgary?

Scott Brady

Founder
On our route north of Calgary we are taking the path of least resistance to stay on the big highways and out of the mountains. Our goal is Tuk, so we are being careful to avoid back roads until our way back south :)

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I am enjoying the replies and well-wishes! Thanks everyone.

RedDog, yes that would be great if you could join us. Pete, thanks for posting the info on the Kyocera card - that is what we're using with Verizon and it's working great.

It's getting cooler and windy... we're heading up into Teton pass right now and over into Jackson, Wyoming to check out the town before finding a camp. Grand Teton just came into view. Incredible... it's beautiful here!

RedDog

Explorer
Many thanks all. I'm already pursuing the communications avenue I was curious about. I appreciate the guidance.

As for the 18th I could suggest a few places in Calgary but in this economy they could have been bought, sold and renamed 3 times since the holidays. If coming in on the Trans Canada #1 from Banff & Canmore, it becomes 16th Avenue North in Calgary. You'll be on the north side all the way to the Deerfoot Trail (Hwy 2 north to Edmonton) unless you have other private plans. I'll leave solid recommendations to the Calgary connections but I intend to be there Sunday evening whatever establishment is chosen.

Good luck and drive safe fellas. Increasingly keep an eye peeled for wildlife as you progress north.

pwc

Explorer
This is a moose.

050917-073550-8218_std.jpg

Don't hit moose. Don't hit bison, either.

I figured telling you to drive safe is like telling my 5 year old to "be careful". While she still walks into things and falls off stuff, she has NEVER hit a moose or bison.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
expeditionswest said:
We are planning on doing a dinner on the 18th in Calgary. I know we posted it somewhere....

We have ice climbing that day and will be driving into Calgary in the afternoon. I recall discussing some dinner options somewhere, but cant seem to find them.

Would one of the locals mind suggesting a restaurant on the south or west side of Calgary?

I'm guessing you guys want beef right? (or maybe manifold moose?)

I know that there are bunch wanting to meet up with you guys here. How many people have you talked to and said they were coming? (5, 10, 50?)

Pete

Willman

expeditionswest said:

The KEG in South Calgary is some pretty good eats!!!

:chowtime: :steak:

:ylsmoke:

P.S

Loving this thread Scott & Chris!!!!!

Thanks for the updates!!!!!

On the road Pictures would be sweeeet of the rig all packed up!

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I was actually thinking the Keg too... good food and not too expensive. The one by the Foothills Hospital of 16th is easy to get to, but parking is a pain - especially since they have the trailer. It's also a smaller location.

It's a bit deeper in the city, but MacLeod Trail & 70th location might be better - and it's easy access to Deerfoot from there.

Thoughts?

toyrunner95

Explorer
lucky, all i have this week is cup o noodles because they were on sale at safeway.

good uck guys be safe, remember, if u dont think you should or could go throough it, dont. go around. help is a far cry away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat