Disco 1 or not?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I think similarly... when I find something I really like, I dream of having at least one spare in case I use-up the first. :elkgrin:

Except for the fuel pump, my 1995 Disco has been perfect for 2.5 years. I still love driving it every day. I think I might buy another, and put it in storage with a bunch of spare parts.

Abel Villesca

Explorer
This thread is increasing my Disco envy. I love my Defender, but there are times when the comfort of a Disco would have made for a happier journey.

Rubicon51

Observer
Rubicon51 - if you are near NorCal, feel free to come on over and drive my rangie.

Again, if you are nearby, let me know and you can give mine a test run.

Thanks for the offer and I would love to but i'm in Crimson Tide Country. (Go Bama #1)

I see why alot of you guys have both or have had both the rangie and D1.
I like them both alot. The classic lines of the rangie, and style of the D1.
One day I decide on getting a rangie and the next a D1. What I think i'm going to do is get which ever one I find first that has been well maintained. If I do find a rangie I'm going to find a pre 89' w/o the abs. The rangie seems to be harder to find in decent shape even a late model one.
Right now there are about 5 rangies and 30 d1 in my area on craigslist.

I do have a q about the D1. I read a post where I guy commented that he would only have a pre 96' D1, why is this. What changed for the 96' model that was not good?

It seems that a D1 would be alittle better offroad than a rangie, at least out of the box. And i'm sure that's an arguable statement. But the LT230 seems to be the better tc. Although I do see the point made about the d1 be top heavy, but I dont think that it would really be that noticeable to me at least. We will not be doing heavy wheeling. And i'm not real crazy about the LWB rangie. So from what I have read the d1 has a little more leg room for rear pass than a swb rangie.

Guys I really appreciate this. It seems that the LR is off to a good start with support like this.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Having owned a '96 D1 from new, the only difference I am aware of is the engine. '95 had a distributor and '96 went to coil pack style and I think that the fuel injection is also different. Other than that, I am not aware of any differences.

Frank

I do have a q about the D1. I read a post where I guy commented that he would only have a pre 96' D1, why is this. What changed for the 96' model that was not good?

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
There is a lot of internet malarkey about the '96 DI being the worst year. I have yet to read factual proof other than opinions, and you know what they say about those... My '96 was a good one. Maintenance is always an issue with any vehicle but more so with a rover.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Well, the pre-90 classics were the favorite trucks of the CT crowd, at least that is what I have heard. I don't think there are any real advantages of the D1 over the Classic myself. I have experienced both do amazing things off road.

D

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Ooooooh ! I see, now.

Mine never gave me any real problems, but then I tried my best to stay on top of the maintenance, religiously - even changing dealers to try to get better care. There were only a couple of things worth mentioning: LR does not note repacking the wheel bearings in their service schedule and I found that out the hard way (but they are really good bearings for having lasted so long !), thinking that the dealer was taking care of those things, as that is what I had requested and thought I was paying for (remember, I bought the car new) and I did have the servicing done by them until learning that hard lesson. The other was getting the ECM wet about 40 miles from nowhere out in the woods here, but then that only prompted the diesel conversion, whereupon all servicing was done at home ;)

I agree that maintenace is key to enjoying them. It's all a part of the British car experience (have had several Lotus cars, too...).

That being said, it seems that folks might be calling these cars less than reliable, when they bought them from neglectful owners ? (care seems to decline with the number of owners)

To care for them correctly is not inexpensive, but it can be done well with an eye on costs.

There is a lot of internet malarkey about the '96 DI being the worst year. I have yet to read factual proof other than opinions, and you know what they say about those... My '96 was a good one. Maintenance is always an issue with any vehicle but more so with a rover.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ooooooh ! I see, now.

Mine never gave me any real problems, but then I tried my best to stay on top of the maintenance, religiously - even changing dealers to try to get better care. There were only a couple of things worth mentioning: LR does not note repacking the wheel bearings in their service schedule and I found that out the hard way (but they are really good bearings for having lasted so long !), thinking that the dealer was taking care of those things, as that is what I had requested and thought I was paying for (remember, I bought the car new) and I did have the servicing done by them until learning that hard lesson. The other was getting the ECM wet about 40 miles from nowhere out in the woods here, but then that only prompted the diesel conversion, whereupon all servicing was done at home ;)

I agree that maintenace is key to enjoying them. It's all a part of the British car experience (have had several Lotus cars, too...).

That being said, it seems that folks might be calling these cars less than reliable, when they bought them from neglectful owners ? (care seems to decline with the number of owners)

To care for them correctly is not inexpensive, but it can be done well with an eye on costs.

I would say that this is likely the case. Though I think I hold my cars to a "Bosch" standard of longevity for electronic bits, and tend to hear that Lucas parts aren't as hardy...

I'd say that a D1 is probably as reliable as my Cherokee, but not as reliable as a first gen. 4runner. (As mentioned, those 4runners have their own problems, however)

Honestly, though, I feel like the key to my cherokee is that it's very transparent in what it needs and what it doesn't. A D1 seems to be very similar.

Rubicon51

Observer
I found a 98' disco LE7. I don't know what the LE7 designates. Can anyone help me out on that? I assume that it is still a D1, but not sure. What is special about the LE7, is it good to have?

Thanks
Matt

jeff_wright

Adventurer
The DI trim levels included an SD, LE, SE and LSE. The 98 Discoveries had the LE and LSE trim options. I believe the LE typically came with dual sunroofs, would trim, and heated seats (may be of no importance to you). The "7" means it has two jump seats in the rear, seating seven. The 98 and 99 Discoveries were known for greater reliability as well.

Rubicon51

Observer
The DI trim levels included an SD, LE, SE and LSE. The 98 Discoveries had the LE and LSE trim options. I believe the LE typically came with dual sunroofs, would trim, and heated seats (may be of no importance to you). The "7" means it has two jump seats in the rear, seating seven. The 98 and 99 Discoveries were known for greater reliability as well.

Thanks Jeff.
Yea not really important to me, but it is still a good looking disco.
The seller says he has the maintenance records and that it was kept up vey well, so thats good. If everything is as good as it looks I will be the new owner this weekend, weather pending. Down here in the south everything will close for a few inches of snow, better go get my milk and bread.haha

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer

Jeff don't forget to mention that you have a fluke 96 that runs perfectly whereas all of my discos are alright...

jeff_wright

Adventurer
Thanks Jeff.
Yea not really important to me, but it is still a good looking disco.
The seller says he has the maintenance records and that it was kept up vey well, so thats good. If everything is as good as it looks I will be the new owner this weekend, weather pending. Down here in the south everything will close for a few inches of snow, better go get my milk and bread.haha

Awesome, well hopefully you'll have a great experience with it. I'm getting my milk and bread as well, ha.

Jeff don't forget to mention that you have a fluke 96 that runs perfectly whereas all of my discos are alright...

Haha, right....I've been fortunate I guess, knock on wood. I am waiting on a new steering box and steering shaft, however, as my Disco will go no direction other than straight at the moment.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I think similarly... when I find something I really like, I dream of having at least one spare in case I use-up the first. :elkgrin:
Me too... I'm buying an 87 V6 for spares and swaps... I shal have a 1st Gen 4Runner FOREVER!!!!! MUWAHAHAHAHA

As to the OP: The early RRC's really catch my eyes, but a 5spd D1 would be fun IMO.

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven