Discovery 3 (LR3) and Discovery 4 (LR4) Registry

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Last year the solar was used exclusively to keep my second battery charged for the ARB fridge, this year it supplements the dual battery setup I finally got around to installing.

Tprokeeper

JAK,
I'm assuming with the size tires you are running you run the rods full time correct? Also do you find your nittos rub during daily driving at all? I heard the max was 32" tires before rubbing and the 285/65s you're running are over 32". I want to lift mine with rods (not sure whether to get Johson Rods or proud Rhino rods) and having trouble deciding on the right size tire. Thanks!

Tprokeeper

Tprokeeper

My thoughts were 20x9.5 Black Stormers with Nitto's but I'd like to know the size. The stance looks great w/just enough sidewall on the tires. Especially with the non painted trim. Agree with ^ on the nudge bar and the Overland Decal. Actually has the hood blacked out with a Overland Logo as well. Pretty cool.

Taborj,
Did you ever find out the specs on the tires and wheels of that silver LR4 on the Baja Rack site? I called them and asked them but never received a response. I agree, it's sharp and I like the amount of sidewall with this truck. I'd be interested to know if it has lift rods installed too. Thanks.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Taborj,
Did you ever find out the specs on the tires and wheels of that silver LR4 on the Baja Rack site? I called them and asked them but never received a response. I agree, it's sharp and I like the amount of sidewall with this truck. I'd be interested to know if it has lift rods installed too. Thanks.

rods + 20's are pretty ridiculous. Rather anti-purpose. If you can afford all the fun toys, then don't cheap out on rods. Get the IIDtool that will be useful anyway, run custom lift like +20mm to get just enough cool factory height without reducing the handling and safety so much. Also, rods cost almost $200, then you also need to spend $ on a new alignment for the camber, and back again when you realize the rods shouldn't be on all the time.

Rods are awesome as a trail head swap but goofy for full time use. If you can't run the tire size all the time in factory standard height, then you have too large a tire. 31.5 diameter is about it for stock fender liners. 32-32.5 for the physical mods.

I had 285/50x20 on the stormer wheels and it was just the right proportion of tire section width to rim width for the best handling but also increased sidewall. It was a performance street tire though, Toyo Proxes ST. If I had an lr3 and were trying to put the most AT tire under it, I'd want the next diameter size up, 275/55x20 I think it is. The 285 did just barely rub the upper control arm so the 275/55x20 should be about perfect.

For anyone out there considering spacers, H&R makes both a 25mm and a 30mm version. The 30mm can push out a bit much, thus causing new rubbing issues during turns, so the 25 is a nicer fit most of the time. The HR are not a bad price either from ECS tuning.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Actually all of you need to halt these posts in THIS thread. I just realized it's for the purpose of "registry" not debate over what you might buy, what tires to buy, mods, etc. Sorry I didn't realize sooner.

Maybe a moderator could move all our posts to a new thread on "fitting 20" tires to lr4's" or something like that.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Out with the old...

This is what happens when I go looking for a White LR3.

image.jpg

image.jpg

August in FL is no place for a DiscoII with crap aircon. I have been traveling between Tampa and Miami every week, and was just tired of driving in an oven. Loved this truck, 169k miles, but it was time for a new home.

Found a 2012 LR4 HSE/LUX with 8,700 miles on odometer...so I now have 3 years and 91,000 miles of warranty, and I have already used Roadside for locking keys in car! LR Dealer still owes me second key.

Gaudy satin aluminum rails are coming off, replaced with shorter rails in black. Same for the side steps. Semi-local Voyager Racks are fabbing a rack, ladder, and rock sliders.

Reviewing every RTT thread on net...

South FL is a great place for used Rovers, a lot of low mile late models owned by "snowbirds".

Tprokeeper

Adi,

Did you experience any rubbing at all with tires larger than 33" and only 2" of lift you mentioned in drive mode? I'm looking for bigger tires and unsure how big I can go with lift rods.

Derel1cte

Adventurer
This is what happens when I go looking for a White LR3.

August in FL is no place for a DiscoII with crap aircon. I have been traveling between Tampa and Miami every week, and was just tired of driving in an oven. Loved this truck, 169k miles, but it was time for a new home.

Found a 2012 LR4 HSE/LUX with 8,700 miles on odometer...so I now have 3 years and 91,000 miles of warranty, and I have already used Roadside for locking keys in car! LR Dealer still owes me second key.

Gaudy satin aluminum rails are coming off, replaced with shorter rails in black. Same for the side steps. Semi-local Voyager Racks are fabbing a rack, ladder, and rock sliders.

Reviewing every RTT thread on net...

South FL is a great place for used Rovers, a lot of low mile late models owned by "snowbirds".

I kinda like the use of the silver on your truck. It usually looks out of place if they ONLY add the silver rails, but that combined with the grill surround, the running boards, the mirror caps, and bright side trim finishers, it has a pretty cohesive look. I know you're going for an offroad look, but just because a truck has a little bling doesn't mean it can't wheel.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Adi,

Did you experience any rubbing at all with tires larger than 33" and only 2" of lift you mentioned in drive mode? I'm looking for bigger tires and unsure how big I can go with lift rods.

Nobody is using tires over 33" without rubbing and they would still require major modifications. Rods cannot fix that fact. Most people are not even using tires larger than 31.5 or 32? 32 still requires modifications to metal parts even if using rods.

racehorse

Adventurer
Adi,

Anyone considering seriously using 33" tires should be prepared to invest a lot of time, labor and money. If you have to ask about rubbing, you're at step one. They will rip everything apart in your wheel wells. They look great, but they really are an effort. Some folks in our club have described it as intensive - removing frame horns either unbolt or cut off, slicing sliders depending on the ones you own, cutting and reshaping inner and outer plastic, rerouting rear AC lines if you have them, needed spacers, then there is no longer an area for the spare underneath so that goes on a swing away (another investment) or on the roof or inside, plus, if done right you now need a get out of dodge plan if you lose your suspension (bust an airbag) on the trails to the bump stumps - you can't move and will need some kit to help you away such as the new bump stop adapters out. I've seen a few rigs with the 33's and not going to lie, they look pretty cool - Jeremy's rig is outstanding but he did it all right and he's an engineer. It's just an investment of time, labor and a few thousand $$$ to do it right.

Jwestpro

Explorer
intensive - removing frame horns either unbolt or cut off, slicing sliders depending on the ones you own, cutting and reshaping inner and outer plastic, rerouting rear AC lines if you have them, needed spacers, then there is no longer an area for the spare underneath so that goes on a swing away (another investment) or on the roof or inside, plus, if done right you now need a get out of dodge plan if you lose your suspension (bust an airbag) on the trails to the bump stumps - you can't move and will need some kit to help you away such as the new bump stop adapters out. .

All of that except for cutting the ends of sliders is required even for "just" a 32" tire. I don't mean 31.5 that people like feel better about by calling a "32" but an actual 32. 31.5 is the sweet spot for almost no mods needed at all.

However, you mention "spacers" which are NOT inherently required for a 33" tire. They are only required for fitting either wider tires and/or factory lr3 18" wheels to an lr4. For example, a 265/70x18 is 32.6 but narrower than the 32" 275/65x18. A 255/70x17 is even narrower but 33" diameter.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Thanks, it is a nice rig.

And sorry to post a registry entry in the 33" tire forum...

SkidRow

Never Lost
Greetings all. Just traded in a 2008 Hummer H3 Adventure Package on 35's for a 2008 LR3 HSE with the HD Towing Package. I don't forsee myself doing a whole lot of mods to the truck at this time, but who knows. I think those are usually famous last words. Sadly living in Hampton Roads Virginia there is nothing within a three hour radius to go wheeling at. Had it down in the Outer Banks last weekend and got to play with the sand button for a little while. Anyways, I look forward to actually getting it off pavement and playing with more of the gadgets.

20151018_093145.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach