Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Rhino Lining and Rear Bumper project

RhinoBooth.jpg

Now that the Rhino Lining is complete I have refurbished my tailgate. Since it is the main entry into the FlipPac I did some work internally to the tailgate to silence some annoying squeaks that I hated when getting in/out. Rhino Lining was added to the top edge of the tailgate to prevent wearing through the paint by the FlipPac rear window and all new weatherstripping/dust sealing was completed.

The rear bumper project is next on the list. The new rear bumper will incorporate some of the lessons learned while using the FlipPac in camp as I will be adding more water/fuel carrying capability as well as pioneer tools (axe and shovel), secure and safe mounting of propane for the heater and a new flip down table and maybe even an LED camp light.

Fenrir

Observer
Wow, looks awesome. Right when I thought this truck couldnt get any nicer. Hope you make it back up to the Washington Expo again.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
FlipPacs at OEX 2012

Overland Expo had tons of FlipPacs and RTT's, even a few Wildernests. Here's the full setup at the event

IMG_0507.jpg

5-19-12_45.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The new FlipPac rain fly from AT

I hate the big blue rain fly that FRP sells. It is designed in a way (not a true rectangle) that makes it necessary to put it on one way only - reversing it 180 degrees causes it to not fit right (too tight)and this can be a royal PITA. The color was awful IMO and when inside you had almost zero visibility in addition to minimal ventilation. And, a cheap system of securing the fly to the tent - FRP supplied white bungie cords that were instantly dirty and matched the "hobo tarp" look of the fly after one use. The two battens for the vents are sewn in place i.e. not removable or replaceable... For a $300+ OEM fly I was less than impressed.

Adventure Trailers sells a MUCH improved design made by SLO Sail. Better material, better ventilation, windows for better visibility, 360 degree bungee cord around the bottom of the fly and multiple attachment points/buckles for real straps to tie it down if needed in a Pacific Northwest storm. It features removeable/replaceable battens for the vents and, you can throw it on in either direction because of it's true rectangular shape and generous cut.

Finally, a modern design that complements the vehicle :cool:

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

Ressie

Thanks to all the great posts and photos; our new Flip Pac is on order!! We've modified and outfitted various trailers in the past, and turned a Little Guy Teardrop into a sweet rockin' surf shack. Most recently, we spent some time with a SylvanSport GO, a great, versatile utility/camping trailer. We're just trying to configure our camping setup to be ready to go at a moment's notice, and the FP seems like the best combination.

Putting the cart before the horse, we've started making sketches and building parts on the computer so we can try out different configurations for the truck bed (thanks, Doc, for the inspiration!). We're also looking at the equipment on hand and making decisions on what needs to be upgraded and acquired. Can't wait to build in some solar power! We've seen photos of FP's with interior and exterior lights; question: does the FP come with these lights, or are they a special order? We have a stock '06 Tacoma access cab, V6, 6-ft. bed. We're not planning on making any extreme off-road expeditions, but still wondering if there's anything we should do before the FP is installed. Here is the first sketch and photo of the truck.

tacoma1.jpgsketch1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal