EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I'm on the vote of calling it "Jenson"

Something tells me after this build, Paul is going to have a waiting list of others who want similar customization items done to their vehicles. Maybe not all will be as elaborate as this one, but smaller one-off custom "Jenson" items

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
"A" Jensen
not just Jensen, like look at that Jensen (which will make people correct you that it is a Jeep)...
but more something said with awe and wonder like "wow look at that, it is a Jenson"
or even when looking at another camper/RV you will someday hear people say "yeah it is nice, but no where near what a Jensen looks like"

Oh and just to remind everyone we have $100 pledged so far to cover fuel cost to get this Jensen converted Jeep Camper to the Overland Expo....how much more $$ to we need to raise and who else plans to be there and would like to fondle this work of art?

r3run33

Adventurer
wow this thing ( "a Jensen" ) is gonna have an inside shower!!!! you rock Mr Jensen! after my little surfing trips I use a gallon jug and pour it over my head to rinse off the salt water. Keeping it in the hot sun heated car is the heating element. This jeep is luxury!

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
It just gets better and better. Thanks for continuing to document the details.
Three stainless steel screws with plastic washers up high, two down low...
Those plastic washers look like leftovers from one of your Sprinter builds? I'm so glad I kept them when we gutted our Sprinter. They work and look great for other projects.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Forty-Two...

P1120116.JPG

(above) On Mike's last trip up, he dropped off some things for the Jeep...One of them is a small generator to fit in the case on the rear door...The Trasharoo Bag on the back of the box had straps like backpack straps that were wrapped around the black box...To access the box you first had to reach under the box and unclip the straps, then after you were through with the box, the straps had to be re-clipped...Hardly handy...So I cut the straps off and mounted the bag to the box in a permanent manner...

P1120117.JPG

(above) Three stainless steel screws with plastic washers up high, two down low...

P1120118.JPG

(above) Up till today the bag seemed to me a gimmick, but the functionality can't be denied...If this were my vehicle, I'd keep wetsuits and surf gear in it, and there would still be a lot of room left for stuff that could take on some weather...

Won't that make taking it off and taking it to the dumpster rather hard? I believe that is one of the reasons it was rubber lined, so it would not leak out. How do you clean it out now once the trash has slipped sludge all over the inside?

Also, the box, is that a pelican case? Did it come with the jeep from ER, or did you install it?

Oh and just to remind everyone we have $100 pledged so far to cover fuel cost to get this Jensen converted Jeep Camper to the Overland Expo....how much more $$ to we need to raise and who else plans to be there and would like to fondle this work of art?

In my estimation, at current gas prices (which are almost certain to raise a good fifty cents prior to the expo) you are going to need a minimum of another $800, preferably another 900 to get the jeep down to Expo and back. Mind you that is only if the jeep is back down in Portland, rather than up at Paul's place still. It is a spendy proposition to be sure.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Won't that make taking it off and taking it to the dumpster rather hard? I believe that is one of the reasons it was rubber lined, so it would not leak out. How do you clean it out now once the trash has slipped sludge all over the inside?
None of the five Trasharoos I've had has ever had trash in it. Regardless of what they were invented for, they are also the world's best buy in a rugged general purpose storage sack. I've carried all manner of camp gear in them--two Pico chairs fit perfectly for example--and Paul's thought of using it for wetsuit storage is an excellent example.

Also, the box, is that a pelican case? Did it come with the jeep from ER, or did you install it?
It is a Pelican case that once was on Camper Mog and then was one of two fastened to the roof rack of my Sprinter. John Bendit and his fabrication team at Upscale Automotive attached it as one of the minor activities in the extensive fabrication work they did on the Jeep to create the current efficient configuration. It's also worth reminding people of numerous essential tasks done by James Lombardo in fabricating the tent, designing and applying the graphics, installing the new suspension and auxiliary fuel tank and carrying out numerous other important activities. It was the work of James and John and his staff that made it possible for me to propose the highly functional motorhome Paul is executing so superbly.

Sincere thanks to all involved. :bowdown:

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Forty-Three...

Forty-Three...

P1120137.JPG

(above) Mike brought up some things for the front cabin and before the changes happen, I thought I'd get some "before" pictures...The door pulls will get padded and covered over...The flat black panels might get covered over with leather...???...

P1120138.JPG

(above) Scuff protectors will go in at the thresholds...

P1120139.JPG

(above) The bar tray on the dash is going to be changed to a longer, beefier bar...Onto that "stuff" will get attached...

P1120140.JPG

(above) The ceiling will be trimmed out and mounting hardware for electrical "stuff" will be installed too...Expect to see lighting installed as well...

P1120142.JPG

(above) This might get a facelift...

P1120143.JPG

(above) Not sure about this side yet...

P1120144.JPG

(above) Whatever happens to the driver's door will happen here...

P1120145.JPG

(above) This gets wired for it's full capabilities...

P1120146.JPG

(above) In the back cabin, near the bed, I hold a 12 volt triple tap close to where it will go...

P1120147.JPG

(above) The day was dry and sunny so I rolled up the GoreTex and worked on some gauge wiring and switches...I also fired up the motor and activated the compressor and after changing a blown fuse, got the roof to go down and back up...

P1120148.JPG

(above) Last week I started on the ceiling...This will all be covered with veneered 1/8" plywood......

P1120149.JPG

(above) With the fabric up, the ceiling can be seen from out here...This changes my plan slightly...I'll have some fun with this...

P1120151.JPG

(above) While working in back, the teak floor rests on the bench and the shower duckboard is out on top too...

P1120152.JPG

(above) It has whole different feel with the roof open...You can see the teak floor on the bench...I'm surprised it fits perfect between the wood edge and the roll-bar...Unplanned...So if you want to store the floor out of the way, it can go there under the bench cushion...

P1120153.JPG

(above) I test fit the new front accessory bar mounting thing...

I have been waiting for my welder to fabricate the spare tire mount and for the upholsterer to finish the bench back cushions...I got the call from both and went to get them...So I took the Jeep and showed it off to some of the suppliers who have contributed to this project...The reaction is becoming common...Quiet awe...

It is mind blowing in person...In and out, up and down...Something like this (yeah right) is so far outside 99.97% of the general population's expectation of what a vehicle can be, that they simply do not understand the "why" behind the process...I try to explain, but their lifetime experience of mediocrity in design is hard to overcome in a few minutes...Once they get in and absorb all that's there and why it's there, they start to get it...Then the nodding starts...

Last edited:

kjp1969

Explorer
Something like this (yeah right) is so far outside 99.97% of the general population's expectation of what a vehicle can be, that they simply do not understand the "why" behind the process...I try to explain, but their lifetime experience of mediocrity in design is hard to overcome in a few minutes...Once they get in and absorb all that's there and why it's there, they start to get it...Then the nodding starts...

Back in the day, you bought your chassis and then took it to the body builder who did work like you're doing right now, in sheet metal and paint and leather and wood. When he was done, you had a Packard or a Duesenberg or whatever. Then they realized that they could make cars (or boats, or campers) available to regular people through mass production at a fraction of the cost. For cars as appliances, this was a good thing. For craftsmanship, it was not. But it was inevitable, because people needed to travel, and generally couldn't if there were only one-offs.

Its good to see that these skills alive, if only in a little corner of the Pacific Northwest and a few other places.

johnnieev

I am just a troll who came on here to consider an expedition for myself, wife and little son (although the wife and son would only be along for short time sonly).
Paul, I am completely blown away at your incredible attention to detail. I showed this entire posting to my wife and she stated, "That is gorgeous!! I want one of those!!" And this is from the big accountant of the family who watches our money.
I wish this rig was for me, as I can see using it for not only camping trips, but mountain biking, wind-surfing, kayaking, and fishing trips. Just an great all-weather, all-around vehicle.

"Hey dear, can I borrow the check book????"

kjp1969

Explorer
Yeah, something like that! I suggest an engraved plaque right next to the VIN that reads "coach work by Paul Jensen"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater