Equipt's new platform - The 2013 4Runner Trail

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Thanks for quite interesting conversation. To each their own, right? The choice of the 5G4R Trail was a blend of things. Size, capability, economics, marketing, and more. When I built the 100 up, the majority poo-pooed the concept as "not a Land Cruiser". Now it is one of the most cherished platforms out there. As Scott noted, there is heritage in this new truck. And you haven't seen much of what is possible on this platform. So it will be interesting (exicting/boring) to see how it progresses. Build to start very soon.

Cheers,

You must really love Toyotas. Interesting choice. Not really exciting though. I know I'll get flamed but a 4runner just seems lame. It has no historical basis in expeditions or overland travel or even 4x4 prowess. It's a college Frat boys truck. LC, LR, Jeep, Nissan Patrol, Gwgen, even the Montero seems more appropriate.
I wouldn't say this to a normal guy and his build, but you are Equipt Expedition Outfitters. I was expecting more.
the
I guess it makes a statement, you can be the first to do it, good luck. Let's see what you've got.

the thing about "overlanding" is you really want something reliable, unlike a Rover product..

as far as your limited knowledge, I have included a link to help you understand how foolish your inane comment was.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Subbed for curiosity. I've been eying the 5Gen Trail for some time as a possible replacement to my Tacoma. I recently spent the weekend traveling the Mojave preserve with a friend and his stock SR5 5Gen was amazingly capable. And his cargo capacity is about 1000 lbs greater than my 2Gen Tacoma! With limited modifications, the 5Gen will likely be an amazing overlanding vehicle.

dcoy

Adventurer
aryzape9.jpg

Nice! Definitely a nice alternative to the new over-bloated and over-priced 200 series LC. Looks particularly cool after you get rid of the stock plastic and it's lifted.

No manual transmission option though :(

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I really like the new 4Runner. I would buy and drive one - no doubt. Nearly everything about the truck is an improvement over previous generations. The only thing I can find that is lame is the stupid sliding cargo contraption and the size of the some of the dash buttons. Just how big do some of those Japanese engineers think we are in 'Murica? The recirc button is the size of an iPhone!!!

p nut

butter
Just how big do some of those Japanese engineers think we are in 'Murica? The recirc button is the size of an iPhone!!!

We do have a hit prime-time show dedicated to show the world just how big we can get...

(granted most contestants are there to lose weight)

BTW, Give me the 200 over the 80 and day of the week. KDSS, 5.7L V8, heated/cooled seats, etc. You can have your SFA. :D

Moody

Needs to get out more
I dig the new 4 runners. I think they fill the gap between smaller SUVs and the full size. Great choice. Especially the trail edition. If I didn't have two prepubescents and two canines, I'd be ridding myself of the 100 series and scoring a newer 4 runner.

I'm anxious to see the goods you add. It will be good fodder for the GX we bought.

Ramjet

Explorer
I'll comment and then leave the floor open for everyone else. When its your money, you can do whatever you damn well please. If this is what Paul and his money wants to buy, then shut up and enjoy the ride. When its your turn to SPEND your money, go buy whatever you want and what works for you. Then show everyone what you can do with what you bought. This whole if you didn't buy this or you bought this conversation gets so old after awhile. This Portal is a Family full of ideas, concepts, and conversation for us all. Who the hell cares what one person has over another. This Project (Paul's and Equipt's) is for our enjoyment and we should sit back and see what this crazy genius is capable of. Good day, Ladies and Gentlemen. Cheers.

GHR

Observer
There are some really interesting trucks on the market today. Most are better than they have ever been when you compare stock/stock performance. Look at the Trail Edition 4Runner, the LR4, the Rubicon Unlimited, the new diesel Grand Cherokee with air suspension and quadra-drive, the newest Tacoma, the Power Wagon, etc. They lack a lot of the charm of vehicles past, but wow are they impressive. Better on the trail, better mileage, better power, better comfort, etc.

The one glaring exception is the Land Cruiser. Give me a brand new FZJ80 over that 200 any day.

Looks like a short list for the Overland Vehicle of the Year.....

targa88

Explorer
Thanks for quite interesting conversation. To each their own, right? The choice of the 5G4R Trail was a blend of things. Size, capability, economics, marketing, and more. When I built the 100 up, the majority poo-pooed the concept as "not a Land Cruiser". Now it is one of the most cherished platforms out there. As Scott noted, there is heritage in this new truck. And you haven't seen much of what is possible on this platform. So it will be interesting (exicting/boring) to see how it progresses. Build to start very soon.

Cheers,

Waiting to see how this build progresses.
Nearly bought a 4R when I purchased new in 2007.
Food for thought for the next iteration...currently 160K and counting.

Interested to see the build....

whodat

Just a few modded 5th gens on T4R.org, unfortunately, none of them are mine. Some of these are old pics too. Sorry for the hijack op. I'm looking forward to your build! 21.jpg8111410326_8dc891c52b_c.jpgDSC_5888.jpgDSC_6046.jpgdual4.jpgfile-50.jpgIMG_2968.JPGimg_6210.jpglights.jpg

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I'll comment and then leave the floor open for everyone else. When its your money, you can do whatever you damn well please. If this is what Paul and his money wants to buy, then shut up and enjoy the ride. When its your turn to SPEND your money, go buy whatever you want and what works for you. Then show everyone what you can do with what you bought. This whole if you didn't buy this or you bought this conversation gets so old after awhile. This Portal is a Family full of ideas, concepts, and conversation for us all. Who the hell cares what one person has over another. This Project (Paul's and Equipt's) is for our enjoyment and we should sit back and see what this crazy genius is capable of. Good day, Ladies and Gentlemen. Cheers.

Well said!

Sent via fat thumb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3