Expeditions West 2004 Tacoma

Brian894x4

Explorer
Looks cool!> You probabaly already mentioned it somewhere in these 38 pages, but what size and type is the next set of tires and wheels going to be? Or are you just replacing the current ones with new ones of the same?

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Suspension goodies!

expeditionswest said:
The suspension goodies are here :jumping:

Donahoe Remote Res. Shock:
IMG_2226.JPG

Very envious!
You know by now that we won't accept anything less than a full review on these! :wings:

Cheers :beer:,
P

Scott Brady

Founder
Brian894x4 said:
Looks cool!> You probabaly already mentioned it somewhere in these 38 pages, but what size and type is the next set of tires and wheels going to be? Or are you just replacing the current ones with new ones of the same?

The wheels are decided and are sitting in boxes in the garage. They are the new AR Chamber 16x8

b3985.jpg

For tires, I am not totally sure. I have a few ideas, ranging from fitting a 9.0 R16 XZL to just another set of 255/85's.

It will be sorted out in Sept/ Early October for sure!

Brian894x4

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
The wheels are decided and are sitting in boxes in the garage. They are the new AR Chamber 16x8

b3985.jpg

For tires, I am not totally sure. I have a few ideas, ranging from fitting a 9.0 R16 XZL to just another set of 255/85's.

It will be sorted out in Sept/ Early October for sure!

Interesting. Nice looking wheel. I'm just curious what made you select those wheels over your current ones.

Scott Brady

Founder
Balancing and rotating mass. These wheels are in the AR premium line and have excellent roundness tolerances. I have had issues with my steel wheels balancing.

And I would like reduce the rotating mass as much as possible for acceleration and stopping.

Traditionally, I have preferred steel wheel (and still like them), but have not found the need for repair-ability or rock durability with this truck.

erin

Explorer
:drool:
Scott, was just wondering if they changed the specs on that rim? When I got my wheels/tires, I was very interested in those, but they were not recommended by the manufacture, due to caliper interference. I had a difficult time finding any aluminum wheel for that matter that I liked and that fit. Just curious.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:

Care to let us in on what is on the short list and rationale/deciding factors in play?

asteffes

Explorer
p1michaud said:
Very envious!
You know by now that we won't accept anything less than a full review on these! :wings:

Cheers :beer:,
P

I have the same shocks on my '06. Even with the stock leaf springs, the rear end feels much more stable and planted now.

Scott Brady

Founder
Lost Canadian said:
Wow, I'd love to see these on a Tacoma. They're huge though aren't they like a 36" tall tire?
xzl3080001.jpg

It should be 34" or so.

A 9.0 R16 would break down like this

9.0 is the distance from the carcass tread to the bead, then you need to double is (half of the distance is below the rim, the other half on top), so 18"

Then, you need to add the rim diameter, which is 16"

9.0 + 9.0 + 16 = 34"

But, measured height and actual height can be very different. Has anyone here measured the 9.0 R 16 XZL?

You might be thinking of the 11 R 16 XZL, which is around 37-38" tall.

Scott Brady

Founder
bigreen505 said:
Care to let us in on what is on the short list and rationale/deciding factors in play?

Well, there are a few things at work here, which will likely result in two entirely new sets of tires.

I need a set of tires for the Arctic and I need a set of tires for my typical trail/Mexico/Adventure trips. Tires in ice and snow are not necessesarily that great in mud and technical trails.

What I really want is XZL's, and just might go to great lengths to get them. Fortunately, I have a few contacts that can actually make that happen.

Weather those tires stay on the truck past SEMA, I don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven