Expeditions West 2004 Tacoma

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
The new Donahoe shocks are on the way, and I will be upgrading to the new high corrosion resistant plating coil-overs in the near future too.

So, I am hoping to install everything in early September, unless I get a wild hair and do it sooner ;)

The Dakar springs are very nice and have a very good finish. I have used OME springs on several of my vehicles with great success. Unfortunately, I have not tested OME's on the Tacoma, so I cannot compare.

Well Scott if you haven't run the OME on the taco do not bother. The 882 springs and shocks up front are good. The rear is the issue, well for me anyway. I think if my truck was truely stock the rear springs would be fine. However with my rear bumper, larger spare, tools, parts, and electrical in the bed it is maxed out. There is no room for gear. When I left for my trip I was loaded. And although I didn't wiegh in the rig I felt I shouldn't be a low rider in the rear. My rig is a reg cab with 4 banger. I can't imagine how much capacity you would loose with a v6 and double cab configuration. Those have to wiegh a bit more then mine. I think if I was just doing day trips I would keep this set up, but I see deavers or air bags in my future. Or maybe an ome dever blend if deaver can do that. Especially since I want to put on frame supports and a rear swing out tire carrier.

7wt

Expedition Leader
nullifier,
How much weight would you say you have back there? I don't usually run any weight in the back, I'm more of a day tripper but I am concerned with the over all load capacity. I wonder if I should still get the OME's or something else.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
7wt said:
nullifier,
How much weight would you say you have back there? I don't usually run any weight in the back, I'm more of a day tripper but I am concerned with the over all load capacity. I wonder if I should still get the OME's or something else.

Good question. Like I say I hadn't wieghed it. I figure without and camping or paddling gear just the added mods, tools, parts, 33" spare, day cooler I am guessing 400#s maybe.

I mean you got my rear bumper about 100 hi ift, battery air comporessor/tank, invertor, isolator racks lights, a very complete tool kit, a small ruber maid box full of parts and a cooler. Thats a normal day for me.

On big trips I got a 60# canoe and gear say 25#s, then you got cloths, day packs, small 2 burner colman and small grill, general kitchen stuff, non ref food box, camera/video gear, camping gear (tent S.B.etc) camp chairs, pett toilet system, 10 gallons water guess thats about it.

Next to tools I would say food and water is the next heavy thing. We eat well...very well. I now carry the same tools and parts for day wheeling as long range trips. call me crazy but I hate getting towed back for stupid crap.

Scott Brady

Founder
mountainpete said:
Can you give us a list of things going on the truck?

And 35's? :Wow1:

Deaver 11 leaf pack
Donahoe Racing Remote Res. Shocks (rear)
Downey extended shackles with the OME exhaust spacer
Poly rack bushings
Increase the front lift by ~ 1.25"

Then, get some new tires, which is still a research in progress. Fit the tires to the American Racing Chambers I have in the garage.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
expeditionswest said:
Deaver 11 leaf pack
Donahoe Racing Remote Res. Shocks (rear)
Downey extended shackles with the OME exhaust spacer
Poly rack bushings
Increase the front lift by ~ 1.25"

Then, get some new tires, which is still a research in progress. Fit the tires to the American Racing Chambers I have in the garage.

Cool!

Why the shackles? Doesn't the 11 pack lift it enough to balance out the truck even with the additonal 1.25" in the front?

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
We need a Mod-O-Meter smiley!

expeditionswest said:
The Mod-O-Ramma starts this weekend. Stay tuned for pics. :)

I wonder if a 35x10.5 will fit.... :smileeek:

I'm anxiously awaiting some pics and progress reports. Are you installing completely new Deaver spring packs, or just refurbishing and adding to the existing pack?

"Insert Mod-O-Meter smiley here"
Failing that smiley, I'll use this one in the meantime :wings:

Cheers,
P

Scott Brady

Founder
p1michaud said:
Are you installing completely new Deaver spring packs, or just refurbishing and adding to the existing pack?

They are all new packs, set to 2" of lift with my payload. I am looking forward to getting started.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
New leafs for the ExpeditionWest Taco!

expeditionswest said:
They are all new packs, set to 2" of lift with my payload. I am looking forward to getting started.

I'm impatiently waiting!
Only because my mods are very slow at the moment!
Cheers :beer:,
P

7wt

Expedition Leader
p1michaud said:
I'm impatiently waiting!
Only because my mods are very slow at the moment!
Cheers :beer:,
P
Yea, no joke my mods are all done vicariously through other people now.

Scott Brady

Founder
Still working on it. That is the luxury of not needing it for a daily driver. But, it has to be done this week because I leave for Moab.

bought some new tools, which was fun. An aluminum floor jack and a new Craftsman Creeper :jumping:

Scott Brady

Founder
Ok, big progress tonight (thanks for the help Chris).

Old springs and shocks are out and the new springs are in. I have also test fit the passenger side shock. The Downey shackles (from Wheelers) are in too.

The truck is going to sit high!

Next is final fitment and cycle testing of the shocks and mounting of the res.

Then I need to extend the rear brake line, relocate the parking brake cable and adjust the proportioning valve.

With the rear done, I will be dialing in another 1.5" of lift into the front.

This is fun so far, but the real challenge will be fitting the 35's :violent-smiley-031:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven