Expeditions West 2004 Tacoma

blupaddler

Conspirator
expeditionswest said:
This is fun so far, but the real challenge will be fitting the 35's :violent-smiley-031:

Scottison, oh master...but this goes against all your teachings. What am I to do? You have been my strength and support with my "small" 33's.

:beer: :smiley_drive:

:jump:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
expeditionswest said:
This is fun so far, but the real challenge will be fitting the 35's :violent-smiley-031:

I agree, this is FUN :ylsmoke: I am definitely seeing visions of a little white blade with ugly teeth moving back and forth very fast... and an ugly little back wheel spinning at a blur... sparks flying... :violent-smiley-031:

Scott Brady

Founder
Yeah, an important note:

35's?

Well, it is more of a research exercise AND I need to make clearance for 35's so that I can fit 33's with chains for the Arctic trip.

So the 35's will be for fun :smiley_drive:

asteffes

Explorer
blupaddler said:
Scottison, oh master...but this goes against all your teachings. What am I to do? You have been my strength and support with my "small" 33's.

:beer: :smiley_drive:

:jump:

Don't worry, they'll be something like 255-125-16. :D

Scott Brady

Founder
yep, a 265/90 R16 :victory:

I am also working on my battery situation, and will be fitting a group 31 Lifeline under the hood and a group 34 in the tool box. That will give me about 180 ah total :sunny:

Willman

expeditionswest said:
yep, a 265/90 R16 :victory:

I am also working on my battery situation, and will be fitting a group 31 Lifeline under the hood and a group 34 in the tool box. That will give me about 180 ah total :sunny:

Are those optimas?

Can wait to see the new lift setup!!!!

:peepwall:

Scott Brady

Founder
Willman said:
Are those optimas?

Can wait to see the new lift setup!!!!

:peepwall:

No, I am done with Optimas, after having two blue tops fail in two months (one in the Jeep and one in the Tacoma). So, I am switching to the LifeLine brand. I will report on how these do.

The lift is all done and the shocks are in. Front is lifted another inch.

Right now, the truck is 2"+ taller in the rear and 1" taller in the front.

I am very happy with the ride overall. A bit more body roll, but SUPER plush. Need more testing though.

Chris and I did flex testing to make sure everything was working ok, and all looks good as far a clearances, etc.

Fitting the 35's is going to be a challenge, but, that is the fun of tinkering. :elkgrin:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I remember you had cranked down your Donahoes on your initial install - do you know where you will be ( compared to the manufactures recommended height) on this final transformation?

Willman

expeditionswest said:
Fitting the 35's is going to be a challenge, but, that is the fun of tinkering. :elkgrin:

:lurk:

With the 35's....are you going to need more gear?

:elkgrin:

Scott Brady

Founder
Desertdude said:
I remember you had cranked down your Donahoes on your initial install - do you know where you will be ( compared to the manufactures recommended height) on this final transformation?

Yeah, I looked back in my notes, and I started at 1 1/8" of thread above the collar (down from the 2" they come with), then after the winch and bumper, I cranked it up to 1 7/8". My height just before the suspension rework was 1" over stock in the front and 3/4" over stock in the rear, basically loaded for a trip.

Now, the front coil-overs are at 2.5" of thread showing and the rear is 2.25" additional lift over my pre-retrofit numbers.

So, right now, I sit over stock:

Front: 2.25"
Rear: 3"

One thing I was very impressed by was the condition of the 10 leaf pack. When compared to the 11, they were only about .5" shorter when sitting on the ground and had no bent leaves, etc. So the additional lift I just obtained was from the 11 leaf being better suited to the load and the extra leaf thickness and the 3/4" from the shackles.

I will be pre-running the Trophy course and trail this weekend, so it will get plenty of testing

I will post pictures later today. The tires and lift all have a better proportion now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven