Expeditions West 2004 Tacoma

Willman

expeditionswest said:
The rear suspension is going to be reconfigured. Most importantly, my load is 400 lbs. higher than I originaly specified to Deaver, so the springs are going from 10 leaf to 11 leaf. I am also going to install a set of the Donahoe Racing remote res. shocks in the rear to provide better cooling and more controlled rebound.

I will also be installing a set of longer shackles from Wheeler Off-Road to improve the overall compression numbers and gain some additional lift.

The front coil-overs will be cranked to adjust the front .5" higher as well.

Overall, the EW Taco will sit 1.5" higher in the rear and .5" higher in the front for 1 1/4" front and 2" rear at 90% wet (full fuel, half water). It should sit level full wet.

:bowdown:
:wings:
:jumping:

When is all this going to take place??

Can wait to see the final product!!!

Scott Brady

Founder
Demello Rear Bumper Install

Here is the install review for the HD Demello rear swing-out bumper

REAR BUMPER

rear.jpg

bluerunner

Adventurer
I am currently in the market for a new bumper and I have been searching and I guess this concerns me with the ARB bumper, I have seen it happen several times, the TJM on my 4runner worried me because the "wings" were more asthetic than anything.

Attachments

• rausch0604142.JPG
    rausch0604142.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 109

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
bluerunner said:
I am currently in the market for a new bumper and I have been searching and I guess this concerns me with the ARB bumper, I have seen it happen several times, the TJM on my 4runner worried me because the "wings" were more asthetic than anything.

How did that happen? I've seen piles of ARB bumpers that have been wheeled, wrecked, etc and few have had problems like that?

Scott Brady

Founder
Very good point.

I have slammed my ARB on the Jeep into a few rocks with no issue. I do know that the wings are intended to bend and absorb impact energy before frame damage. It is one of the design criteria. The bumper takes the energy before an irreparable component of the vehicle.

bluerunner

Adventurer
Yeah, Kurt I don't know what that guy was doing to be honest with you.

I have just seen that hapen a few times I have seen large rocks get wedged in there and push it out, I am not trying to bash the bumper I love ARB, I had another friend run head on into a tree at 45mph and the bumper remained intact while assisting in saving the driver.

Thanks for the info Scott.

Attachments

• rubicon001%20226.jpg
    rubicon001%20226.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 73

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Suspension work

expeditionswest said:
I am also going to install a set of the Donahoe Racing remote res. shocks in the rear to provide better cooling and more controlled rebound.

...for 1 1/4" front...

Scott two questions.

1-Do you have any tech specs for the new rear shocks (i.e. compression, extension and travel numbers)?

2-Do you mean that your taco sits 1 1/4" higher than stock in the front?

I'm very interested in how the Donahoe remote res. shocks will perform and am looking looking forward to your review. :coffee:

Cheers :beer:,
P

Scott Brady

Founder
p1michaud said:
Scott two questions.

1-Do you have any tech specs for the new rear shocks (i.e. compression, extension and travel numbers)?

Working on that next week. Details to come :)

p1michaud said:
2-Do you mean that your taco sits 1 1/4" higher than stock in the front?

Right now, my truck is .5" over stock suspension height in the front and .75" over stock suspension height in the rear.

After these modifications, my truck will be 1 1/4" over stock in the front and 2" over stock in the rear, or about that. The rear will vary widely depending on weight, as my variable load can fluctuate over 500 lbs. (fuel/water)

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
That response was fast!

expeditionswest said:
Working on that next week. Details to come :)

Excellent. While doing my research, I tried getting the numbers to no avail. The only thing they would tell me is that they work for 0 to 3" of lift.

Scott so your truck would sit approximately 1.25" (due to suspension lift) + approx 1.3" (due to tires) giving a total increase of 2.55" over stock. Is that correct? Pictures can be misleading, It's but some of the pictures of your truck make is seem much higher than that.
Thanks for the information.
Cheers :beer:,
P

Scott Brady

Founder
p1michaud said:
Scott so your truck would sit approximately 1.25" (due to suspension lift) + approx 1.3" (due to tires) giving a total increase of 2.55" over stock. Is that correct?

Exactly. The tall/narrow tires does give an impression of a higher lift. Of course, I have the added ground clearance where it matters most.

The main reason for the added lift is to clear chains.

We will see how the handling is affected. The swaybar may need to go back on (I was planning to reinstall it for the Arctic trip anyways)

Mumbaki1037

Observer
In regards to the amount of lift, I have my coilovers cranked to 2 inches but I still get some rubbing from the 255's. Do you get some too? i already did the pinch weld mod and trimmed some of the flares off. Just wondering if I need to do some more mods to fit the tires.

Willman

expeditionswest said:
The first piece of the storage solution is on the way. It is a lund Challenger unit, which is very low profile. It will house the ExtremeAir in the bottom, along with the auxiliary battery. The second layer will be for additional storage.
P1010056.jpg

I am going to look for a tailgate lock next (or even a simple padlock to keep the swing-out from being opened. That will allow security for everything under the load floor.

I know this is an old post.....Is that a mini van in the garage Scott?.....lol

When are the mods starting on that???...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven