Expeditions West 2004 Tacoma

Ramdough

Adventurer
Scott, I can't wait to see what you end up with. :drool:

How are you going to make those big tires and chains clear your fenders. Are you going to go to cut-out fenders? Are you going to test them in a dirt ditch to see how it flexes with chains and big tires?

My tires (285/75r16) rub on the front and almost the back of my rear fender wells... with an extra inch or tire chains.... they would do major damage.

My tires almost rub on my front fenders and do rub on the fender liner. I have a 1" body lift. Won't the spacers cause more rubbing on the fender liner?

I have always wanted to have the option of running chains, but I haven't figured out a way to do it while allowing full flex.

As always, your truck is way cool! :clapsmile I can't wait to see how your build up comes out!

Scott Brady

Founder
Ramdough said:
Scott, I can't wait to see what you end up with. :drool:

How are you going to make those big tires and chains clear your fenders. Are you going to go to cut-out fenders? Are you going to test them in a dirt ditch to see how it flexes with chains and big tires?

My tires (285/75r16) rub on the front and almost the back of my rear fender wells... with an extra inch or tire chains.... they would do major damage.

My tires almost rub on my front fenders and do rub on the fender liner. I have a 1" body lift. Won't the spacers cause more rubbing on the fender liner?

I have always wanted to have the option of running chains, but I haven't figured out a way to do it while allowing full flex.

As always, your truck is way cool! :clapsmile I can't wait to see how your build up comes out!

I am currently evaluating several oversized fenders, including just moving the factory flares UP an inch with some additional body work.

After returning from SEMA, I am going to do whatever is necessary to get it all worked out.

The goal is to be able to run 35" tires without chains and 34" AT's with chains and without using glass fenders.

are any of the arctic trucks body mods an option? they are pretty wide, but you'll be in "their turf", so to speak.

i'm very interested to see how you're gonna shoehorn a 35 in that wheel well :D...it'll look great particularly if you do find a way to keep the stock fenders and flares.

scott youve probably seen this before, but some of the other members might not have:

http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/article/clearance-for-35inch-tires-on-a-tacoma-at-any-lift-height/

...though they did use glass. very interesting article.

-sean

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Trailer:

The roof tent came off and a Thule Side Arm bike rack is going on.

<snip>

The trailer also gets the Arctic graphics package.

Any thought in leaving the tent on the trailer and the bike on the truck so you can park the tent/trailer and explore with a slightly lighter truck?

I am doing some fun stuff with the Epic this year, including fenders and studded snow tires (cool bike bling).

If you plan to ride it seriously there, you might ask the shock manufacturers about using a lighter weight oil or just locking out the shocks to prevent damage to internal seals.

Scott Brady

Founder
Tires mounted:

AT-KO_Chamber.JPG

Arctic Logos:

arctic_logo.JPG

Working on the custom light bar mounts (with rear support bracket) and the wiring.

Mounting the spacers, new coil-overs and tires are next :)

kcowyo

ExPo Original
expeditionswest said:

Hey Boss! How come your stuff is all scratched up? ;)

I really like the lightbar too. A non-actuated riser is probably a great idea in case it were to freeze up. The Teflon wheels are hot, me likey! Nice, nice stuff. Can't wait to see the trailer logo'd out too.

I always enjoy your mad mod fenzy leading up to SEMA! :jumping:

Scott Brady

Founder
The big project is fitting the Morphic light bar to the truck. I have dropped the headliner to evaluate the integrity of the roof in different areas. The strongest areas are in the double wall ridge that runs just above the doors and along the back of the cab.

So, I fabricated a set of brackets that will be secured to the roof with alen head bolts, sandwiching a rubber gasket. The two side mounts have a 25 degree angle at the base and support the weight of the light bar. The rear bracket mounts with 4 small alen head bolts and has a big plate on the underside of the roof (under the headliner). The rear bracket supports the lightbar arm, which resists airflow pressure and tree branch impacts, etc.

morphic_light_bar_brackets.JPG

Oh, and you think the new truck tires are mean:
IMG_4619.JPG

Yes, those are studded :D

Chris worked on the HID's for the front bumper, fabricating an aluminum bracket to mount the ballasts (20,000 volts). The ballast bodies have to be isolated from the vehicle ground.

More updates tomorrow, including the rear tires and spacers, along with the new DR coil-overs with high corrosion resistant cans and custom valving.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
It's mod time again!

expeditionswest said:
More updates tomorrow, including the rear tires and spacers, along with the new DR coil-overs with high corrosion resistant cans and custom valving.

Oh boy, another Scotty mod frenzy! :wings:

That light bar is real nice. Can’t wait to see how it looks on the truck. I take it you got a new set of DR coil overs with the extreme weather plating? Do you know if they are for sale to the general public yet?

Cheers,
P

Willman

Scott... :wavey:

Are you guys coming through Seattle on the way up?

If so...a quick dinner or shower/bed is on me!:camping: :eatchicke

Let me know!

:cool:

Scott Brady

Founder
Rough day today...

I have the brackets finished and the rear light bar bracket installed. The side brackets are becoming a serious challenge due to the way the body is constructed above the doors. I have at least another 4 hours just getting them mounted.

The front IPF HID's are mounted thanks to Chris and they work perfect.

Slide Lock is going in (about half done) and the spare is on and the new X-Treme jack is installed.

I also mounted the spots to the light bar and will work on the wiring more tonight (constructing a loom for the bar). I have a pretty trick way of allowing the wiring to be disconnected easily.

I have a lot still to do, and two days to do it :yikes:

Scott Brady

Founder
Willman said:
Scott... :wavey:

Are you guys coming through Seattle on the way up?

If so...a quick dinner or shower/bed is on me!:camping: :eatchicke

Let me know!

:cool:

We will either on the way up or down. I will let you know the plan :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven