Expeditions West: Western States ARB Adventure

Scott Brady

Founder
calamaridog said:
Scott,

The ARB 4runner is outfitted similarly as a 100 series can be. Bumper, winch, slider/steps, roof rack, V8 and automatic transmission, mild suspension upgrade, etc.

How would you compare the performance of the ARB 4runner to a 100 series vehicle?

I would assume they are similar, with the 4runner being a bit lighter, smaller, more nimble.

Bryan,

I will do my best to answer your question, having driven both the 100 and 4Runner.

Overall:

The most significant difference is responsiveness. Both on the road and trail, the 4Runner is quicker, handles flatter and more responsive. That is just a result of weight difference. The 100 really is a bit sluggish in comparison.

What is was suprised by is the fit, finish and solid nature of the 4Runner. Right on par with the 100, though the dash materials and layout of the 100 is better IMO. No rattles, nice C-Gate shifter and great leather seats.

Suspension:

The 4Runner front suspension by design has an advantage over the 100, and did a better job of controling pitch. I have also noticed the hard extension of the 100's due to the limited extension travel with cranked in lift.

The rear of the 100 has an advantage. I was surprised by the limited wheel travel in the rear of the 4Runner, which appears to be a result of the swaybar. Overall suspension travel is fine, but articulation limited.

Trail Performance:

This is just a function of size and weight. The 4Runner doesnt slide and struggle on steep slopes like its heavier cousin.

The advantage the 100 has is overall clearance. 35" tall tires can be fitted with minimal lift. That wins major points in my book.

I prefer the 4Runner, mostly because of the size and overall value.

Scott Brady

Founder
A few things I dont care for on the 4Runner

Fuel door release placement.
One 12v plug in the front
Seat bottoms are a bit short for me (6'1")
Door switch gear is too low, making it hard to use
I would prefer a lift gate/tail gate combo
Wheel well shape
Door lock automatically

Things I really like

FAST
Great trans.
Active Trac
Center diff-lock
good front wheel travel
115v outlet
2 rear 12v outlets
incredible high beams
rack and pinion steering

Scott Brady

Founder
colvere said:
Saturday was allot of fun, the trail was excellent and I learned allot. Scott, thanks for stopping and spending the morning with us here in Idaho. I think everyone had a great time. The trip inspired me to push my locker upgrade to the front burner of the stove. Thanks for posting pictures, I can’t believe I didn’t have my SD card in my camera :mad:

With lockers, your disco will be incredible :)

Scott Brady

Founder
One more comment on the 4Runner vs. 100:

The thing I neglected to mention, was the Land Cruiser durability. The 4Runner and Land Cruiser likely have similar reliability, but the 100 takes a lead in durability, which is the day after day, fully loaded pounding. Larger bearings, bigger axles, higher payload, etc.

The Land Cruiser is also a bigger vehicle, so you can take more stuff with you. Larger payload area and higher payload.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Scott, thanks for that informative hands on review - one last thing how is the MPG with that V8?

::::::::::

flywgn

Explorer
Great report, Scott. Wow, you guys packed a lot into a few days! You must have put in some long days. Did you have time to enjoy the sunsets and sunrises?

Looks like a short list of the "not likes" to me, and a couple of them can be fixed right away...like the automatic door locks. I hate some engineer telling me when I should lock my doors and when I should wear seat belts. I was using seat belts before most of those designer-types were Hershey bars in their dad's hip pocket.

On the new vehicles we have those items were the first to go.

Are those front cables from hood to roof rack really functional or do they just satisfy the "What-else-can-I-do-to-this-rig" syndrome?

Thanks again for posting this trip. If I had taken the time to check the threads when we returned from Africa, we might have tried to find you at some point. Don't know that we would have been able to keep up though.:D

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Are those front cables from hood to roof rack really functional or do they just satisfy the "What-else-can-I-do-to-this-rig" syndrome?

those are "Limb Lifters" or "cable brush guards" - when trail riding where the brush hangs into the trail - they lift the brush over the cables and out of the windsheild view - very Safari

I am not sure I see enough Aux lights on that 4 runner ;) - have you had a chance to do any night trail runs and check 'em out?

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Scott,

Thanks for the feedback regarding the difference between the 4runner and the 100 series vehicles.

One thing I forgot to ask: Which V8 does that truck have? Is that the 270+hp (VVTI) version or the 235hp version of the 4.7?

I have a difficult time articulating the benefits of a more nimble vehicle to some people, especially people who never driven another vehicle off road.

I am sure there is an engineered solution to the lack of articulation in the rear of the 4runner. You can run 10" travel shocks in the rear of the 100 series LC with OME springs which is nice.

Regards, Bryan

flywgn

Explorer
Desertdude said:
those are "Limb Lifters" or "cable brush guards" - when trail riding where the brush hangs into the trail - they lift the brush over the cables and out of the windsheild view - very Safari...

Oh. :cool:

Owyhee Jackass

expeditionswest said:
The trip has been great so far, and we spent the day wheeling with an excellent group of people. Ernie from the forum brought his cool Discovery I and several members of the Idaho Land Cruiser club attended.

We ran the Lost Trail south of Nampa, which proved to be the perfect first test of the ARB 4Runner.

The 4Runner had great traction and flexibility, with the option of center, front or rear lockers and any combination with the traction control.

It also rode better on the trail than any other vehicle I have owned, tested or riden in. Absolutely plush, with spot-on valving in the firm OME shocks. Great stability and balance, though suffering slightly from the thick OEM swaybars.

It was also a little chilly, so Steph and I were spoiled with seat heater, dual zone climate control and super comfy leather seating.

Don't think I have gone soft on you... :p

In fact, the 4Runner closely reminded me of an 80 series Land Cruiser in size, weight and balance on the trail. Of course the monster V8, 5 speed auto and interior refinements make things different on the road.

Here come a few pictures.

I'm glad it worked out as it was a good day to be in the desert. I don't know what you mean by chilly, I thought it was excellent shorts-weather. My son, Sam wanted to take the top and doors off and lay the windshield down.

FYI, the club is Northwest Cruisers of Idaho.

Dan

UncleChris

Adventurer
Hey Scott,

Glad to see that you are having a lot of fun!

Looks like you are learning a lot about the 4runner as well!

Scott Brady

Founder
flywgn said:
Great report, Scott. Wow, you guys packed a lot into a few days! You must have put in some long days. Did you have time to enjoy the sunsets and sunrises?

It was an intense trip from that perspective. Fortunately, Stephanie is a great driver, and did a lot of the road and off-highway miles.

Thursday:
Left PHX at 8:00pm and arrived at hotel at 11:00pm, bed at midnight

Friday:
Up at 6:00am and off to ARB plant, left Seattle at 3:00pm. Arrived in Ontario, Oregon at 2:00am.

Saturday:
Up at 5:00 and off to Snake river and trail meeting at 8:00am. Drove all the way to Ogden, UT, bed at midnight.

Sunday:
Up at 6:00 and testing at dunes, and two more trails near Minersville. Hotel in Beaver at 8:30pm

Monday:
Up at 6:00 and all the way home to Prescott, arrived at 3:00pm even with the scenic route.

Too much fun! I just consider it training for a possible winter assault on the Arctic Circle :)

Scott Brady

Founder
Owyhee ************** said:
I'm glad it worked out as it was a good day to be in the desert. I don't know what you mean by chilly, I thought it was excellent shorts-weather. My son, Sam wanted to take the top and doors off and lay the windshield down.

FYI, the club is Northwest Cruisers of Idaho.

Dan

:). Of course it wasnt too cold for you. You drive that smokin hot FJ45 :bowdown:

Scott Brady

Founder
Desertdude said:
nice photos Scott -

1 - What are your thoughts on the rack and tire CG wise?

2 - How is the 4 runner handling in all the sand?

3 - I forgot is there a fridge in that thing? :)

4 - How is the MPG ?

5 - R U liking the 5 speed manual ?

1- Don't really notice it on the trail, but the bank of lights do have a pretty strong air foil on the highway. The ARB rack is very nice, with high quality mounting hardware and integrated flooring. IF I ran a rack, I would go that route. Tradesman Racks are nice too from my experience.

2- :cool: Incredibly hot package. Torque and HP are instant. So much power that airing down was never required. Most hills taken at 1/3 power.

3- Yep, a nice 45 unit with the new temp gauge. Improved 12v plug too.

4- EEEEEEK. 15.2 best tank, 11.8 worst..... Removal of light rack would make a huge difference.

5- 5 Speed Automatic. Best performing transmission I have ever tested in a 4wd. A little reluctant to downshift though. Not under power application, but in general driving. The 5 Speed keeps the 4.7 in the power band, and has a very low first gear. Crawls SLOW on downhills. On par with my Tacoma with 5.29 gears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven