For those that carry Guns and Overlanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Based on past and current responses to certain topics on here you strike me as one lacking intellectual merit, so please refrain from posting until you put some actual research and credible thought into a response. While I do not personally open carry unless I am hunting, your sorry attempt to put everyone in the same group is a perfect example of an ASSumption.

Interesting assumption you are making also. Because I disagree with and challenge people on their thinking, that makes me dumb.

I still see no part of "bear" which indicates carrying "openly". I have also yet to see any reasoning presented which supports open carry aside from in a few precise circumstances. There has been much research presented which indicates that it is a bad idea/poor practice.

If you choose to ignore the facts presented, without presenting your own - see above quote about intellect.

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
I don't know what comfort having a weapon would bring - it just adds another dimension of difficulty to a challenging situation. I would work to extricate myself from a situation like that by being aware and not getting in that space in the first place. Not having an ego or being able to release your ego certainly helps. As I said, I sometimes "open-carry" for convenience while outdoors, and I don't as a rule carry in places where it will cause confrontations. I don't carry to show off and I don't carry to intimidate. I like to think I'm being smart about it and not just doing it for the attention. Some people will just stereotype and make generalizations regardless because of that and I feel sorry for the small-minded that will, but hey, isn't 'murica great?

Seems reasonable to me. With rights comes an expectation to apply those rights responsibly; and that goes across the board for all of our freedoms. When people fail at that we start having laws enacted that limit these freedoms for everybody.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
"If someone were armed and about to commit a crime, the person they see openly carrying will be their first target of opportunity."

completely agree. However, I was calling out Zimm for harassing people who's only crime was ordering a sub sandwich while having a weapon strapped on. Whatever you may feel about this, it is perfectly legal to do so, while confronting and harassing someone is generally frowned upon. Doing it to an armed individual, just to boost your own ego is at best, stupid, and at worst, could get you an immediate sentencing. (right or wrong)

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Funny thing about this is that not even 100 years ago most women wore a gun on their hip in most rural areas of this country, even funnier is what one of these women would have done to someone like you for asking such a question....

You're right - people did many things much differently 100 years ago. What relevance that has today, is practically zero.

I notice a trend among the open carry defenders. There is always an implied threat or assertion of force written back at me. Interesting the parallels one could draw about that.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Funny thing about this is that not even 100 years ago most women wore a gun on their hip in most rural areas of this country, even funnier is what one of these women would have done to someone like you for asking such a question....

100 years ago, they were fighting for the right to vote.

And sixguns weren't cheap.

1890s_prairie_detail.jpg

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
"I notice a trend among the open carry defenders. There is always an implied threat or assertion of force written back at me. Interesting the parallels one could draw about that."

Should I remind you that you are the one advocating generalizations and stereotypes as a solid foundation for judging people?

Also, I support carrying any way you like so long as it is legal and you are willing to suffer the consequences. Please show me where I threatened or asserted force toward you?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
There's no question about the legality of open carry. Please stop falling back on that. The question is the morality. Is it the right thing to do.

It's now been implied that I shouldn't approach someone who is open carrying because I should be afraid I'd get shot, and also implied that if I asked this question 100 years ago that I might get shot.

I think that's the implication of open carry in general. It's abrasive and borderline obscene in many cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven

Members online