FORD RAPTOR EXPEDITION (pics)

winkosmosis

Explorer
what's the point? you overpay big to get a soft and cushy high speed desert ride. ..then go and try to load it to the max with a camper and whatever else? all you did was made usless the high dollar suspension you just purchased.

an F250 would make much more sense.

Well you can upgrade the rear springs and you still have the long travel front suspension.

The Raptor isn't just for blasting across the desert. Who does that anyway? That's not even treading lightly. According to this month's Truck Trend, the Raptor is proving to be popular among Texas ranchers, because they can go much faster on their dirt roads.

BlueBomber

Adventurer
That's what it was made for.

True, that may have been its original intent, but people who have the ability to think out side of the box have found other uses for the truck. Im mean, its a truck after all, so you can adapt it most any need. If the OP feels this is what best meets his needs, why knock it?

haters.jpg

That cracks me up! :D

winkosmosis

Explorer
That's what it was made for.

Pretty much every vehicle people on this forum use for expeditioning is made for something else.

To me a truck made for going fast in the desert makes more sense for an expedition than one made for crawling (Wrangler Rubicon). Which would feel better on washboard roads?

Desert Dan

Explorer
A lightly loaded Rapture with a camper shell would be great fun but if you need an expedition rig with real load capacity a 1-Ton truck makes more sense.

Outback

Explorer
We all build are trucks to meet our needs. I say build what you own. If thats a Raptor then go for it! You can always change it out if it doesnt work out. All this coming from a guy who is gonna build a crew cab Long Bed 1 ton for a expedition rig. I know some people laugh at that but thats what will work for me and my family. Of course a Dodge Power Wagon and a J8 are on my "list" but for now I have the 1 ton, he has the Raptor! Cool truck. Good luck with the build and post lots of pictures! To each his own.:sombrero:

Fresno

Adventurer
Raptor obtained and cap installed. HID lights and ARB roof rack have arrived and will be installed soon.

If I had started with a short wheel base F150 and spent thousands on suspension I doubt it would have raised any eyebrows. Basically that's all that has happened here, except I got it factory installed with a factory warranty. This is the only F150 with the extended cab you can get with the extra short bed. It also has upgraded stability, off road and hill descent features I can't get on a Fx4 F-150. So, while this truck was inspired by off road trophy trucks, that is not what it is. It is an F150 with upgraded off road features - perfect for a mid range expedition vehicle in my opinion.

My intended expeditions are the Southwest and Baja. Temperate climates that will not require significant shelter but descent desert capability. Once the build is done this summer we'll see how it works out.

Attachments

• DSC_0003_2_2.jpg
    DSC_0003_2_2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:

78Bronco

Explorer
Looks pretty small to me. Get a trailer instead and you can disconnect when ever you want to really enjoy just the truck going fast. Trailer will carry more weight and it will be much more versatile overall.:smiley_drive:

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
I have 5500 miles on my 6.2L raptor now. after reading all the comments in this thread, all i can say is drive one. ive had lots of trucks and cool cars. this one rates at the top of my list. there is a reason for a raptor and certainly reason not to get one if you need more of a wrok truck.

I love mine...! Cant wait to go to work in the morning, sort of like riding my 990 to work..

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
If I had started with a short wheel base F150 and spent thousands on suspension I doubt it would have raised any eyebrows. Basically that's all that has happened here, except I got it factory installed with a factory warranty. This is the only F150 with the extended cab you can get with the extra short bed. It also has upgraded stability, off road and hill descent features I can't get on a Fx4 F-150. So, while this truck was inspired by off road trophy trucks, that is not what it is. It is an F150 with upgraded off road features - perfect for a mid range expedition vehicle in my opinion.

Well I'll go farther and say it's way better than going bucks up on aftermarket because I've read what they modified and it's intensive.
The price is a steal for such an exotic truck!

Ignore the haters.
I'm dutifully jealous and happy to see Raptor owners posting up!:smiley_drive:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
This concept looks awesome and would be perfect for a quick trip down to South America...I really like it. You don't really need 4x4, just need to go a bit faster...

:)

Edit: This truck would be awesome to drive around Namibia, they have the largest/flatest dirt road I have ever seen, with no ones around. It would be so much fun!

562629030_dW6V6-L.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater