Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

Mules

Still thinking about an easy to remove interior, so I can switch to my truck bed when needed. This looks pretty simple.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I spend more time at the hardware store than on the build. Another trip for longer bolts for the hinges.
I think I spent more on Stainless hardware on my last trailer build than I did on the trailer and the RTT. lol And gas to go get it all too... local fastener shop knew me on a first name basis by the end. lol

Mules

I'm hoping to come up with easily removable interior furniture and was thinking about a Beg Rug to cover the bed. Part of me loves the padded interior and clean look of the Beg Rug. The other part of me wants to wash out the bed, after camping/mountain biking/hunting trips. It sure looks nice. What do you think?

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 6.53.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 7.04.33 AM.png

highwest

What do you think?
I think those Bed Rugs look cozy, quiet, and warm… one big dirt magnet, but I think they can be hosed out, no? I have no experience with them. We have hard surfaces for the floor and vertical pieces and carpet on the bench tops. We recently started camping with a cordless dustbuster style vacuum that has been great for maintaining a cleanish living area while we’re out and it works pretty good on the carpet parts. Even with the dustbuster, the whole thing gets wiped down and sucked out with a commercial vacuum after trips.

ITTOG

Yes, you can wash most of the bed rugs but if it is glued in you can get mold buildup. If you really want to wash it, you should not glue the bottom rug. This way you can remove it and wash it.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Make fiberglass molds in 2 pieces cover in carpet. Glue carpet on the bottom to celtec or a sip for support. Place the 2 pieces on the sides. Easy to remove and strong. I use carbon and fiber glass when I have to make custom roof liners
Kevin20171023_174936.jpg

Last edited:

Mules

Alright, I'm getting close to a big decision, the paint job. I thought about just rattle can spraying the shell in a textured black to save money, but I've received quite a few comments like "you've put too much time in this to settle for a subpar paint finish". So I guess I have to go big, or go home.

I ran to a couple local paint shops this afternoon to get quotes. For the Crystal Granite color, one shop estimated $1000 for paint, and maybe $500 for the remaining body prep (maybe less), but wanted to see the shell in person for the quote. The second shop will get back to me in a day or two.

The conversations about the paint quotes were short, but answering all the questions about what the heck it was and how I built it, took a while :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy