Hilux_Max's New D4D Hilux from OZ

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Wow, great action pics!

As far as your rear bumper, I think it would look cool and provide function if you were to build a rear bumper with fender bars similar to the front, while also cutting inches off of the rear quarter panel.

Great work!

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Thanks for your comments guys....its appreciated....

As far as your rear bumper, I think it would look cool and provide function if you were to build a rear bumper with fender bars similar to the front, while also cutting inches off of the rear quarter panel

Yes, I like that idea.....but Im tossing up whether to go a steel tray in the back in the future or not....if not, then yes, what you described above would be perfect.

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Guys,

I dont update my build often....only as often as money allows unfortunately........since I last updated I helped a friend develope a comprehensive bodylift kit for the current shape hilux....2" kit with steering shaft extension and all required brackets...so I had planned to do that straight after xmas but been thinking in the meantime that maybe it isnt the right direction for the hilux to take, so Ive changed my mind and this is what Im embarking on doing next........

I have sold my front ARB winchbar, brushbars and sidesteps and have found a fabricator that will have my hilux over the xmas holiday period, 2 weeks or so whilst I dont need to drive it.

He is going to make an aggresive custom made tube winch bar on the front...twin tube rock sliders that will hug the body below the door for maximum clearance and cut into the lower sills for more clearance for the mounts and will also cut my rear quarters and raise and modify my towbar to suit with some bars either side to protect the newly cut quarters.

Will be the first hilux to have this sort of custom treatment...atleast here in OZ anyway. Will post pics when all is done.

In the new year I should be getting my hands on a half roll cage for the interior Ill fit too.....

Down the track I'd like to get rear roll bars for the tray area similar to the one below -
IMG_0021.jpg

but with a mount on the back for the spare wheel to sit on the angled forward portion above the tailgate. If anyone has pics of something similar Id appreciate it.

The portion near the top of the roll bars I might make more horizontal and build a small rack into it. A little bit like this -
demopic1.jpg

Other future mods, I'll be getting the guards cut bigger (hilux guard openings are smaller the Taco's) about a good inch all the way around and then running front and rear tube guard protectors between the winchbar to the rock sliders on the front then from the rear of the rock slider over the rear arch to the rear quarter protector.

Plan is to make the hilux a hardcore tourer/expedition truck that can hit the trails on the weekends.

Heres a crappy picture I sketched on windows paint, hopefully you get the idea...I cant draw front winch bars for ****...LOL
demopic.jpg

red line is upcoming barwork, green line is future barwork
:xrocker:

That white previous gen tundra thats also from this forum is kind of my isnpriation...just thought Id add that :victory:

keezer36

Adventurer
:lurk: Cool, next best thing to spending my own money.

Not the first time now I've heard of people ditching their ARB. There a reason or just looking for a change?

Had a body lift on a Nissan back in the day (where they belong). Lines, wires, shifter angle; had to move the seat back to get it in reverse, and all for what?

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Not the first time now I've heard of people ditching their ARB. There a reason or just looking for a change?

Over here there is no real "off the shelf" alternative to the ARB. The ARB is good for what it is but I want more....more approach angle being the most important thing...Ive been hung up a couple of times on the front ARB bar because they hang out so far forward of the vehicle. Plus they are heavy as hell.

The ARB sidesteps are not as strong as dedicated rock sliders nor do they give you the same amount of clearance.

Uys

Observer
The ARB sidesteps are not as strong as dedicated rock sliders nor do they give you the same amount of clearance.

Hi HiluxMax.

That is one good looking Lux!

I drive a Fortuner, the SUV based on the Hilux, and built a set of rock sliders for myself. I started with a profile that fit snugly underneath the door sill and worked from there. I can lift the entire vehicle on one high lift point in the sliders. They can handle about 5 tons safely at mid span.

Everything is laser cut and bend, and it makes it so much easier to build them. I then built (build?) three set of sliders for Hiluxes. Some pictures below, if you are interested I'll send you the laser files.

Also a small write up I did on building rock sliders can be found here:
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=46602&highlight=rock+sliders

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9430.jpg
    IMG_9430.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_9431.jpg
    IMG_9431.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_9428.jpg
    IMG_9428.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_9436.jpg
    IMG_9436.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 503

Uys

Observer
Found the other pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Vissie se sliders.jpg
    Vissie se sliders.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,082
  • CAD van slider.jpg
    CAD van slider.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 526

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Trucks like that are all over the Caribbean, too - often as utility company vehicles.

Too bad we can't have high MPG diesels in the US, because of worries about air pollution.

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Trucks like that are all over the Caribbean, too - often as utility company vehicles.

Too bad we can't have high MPG diesels in the US, because of worries about air pollution.

I honestly do not understand the issue with these new diesels and the US?

The new diesels are way more efficient and cleaner than almost all petrol engined vehicles so I cant see how they can be such an emmissions issue.

The new generation Prado diesel for example gets 8.5 litres per 100 km.....thats 28 miles per gallon for a vehicles that is huge!!!!

Honestly, I seriously think you yanks are behind the 8-ball when it comes to diesel technology...I wish you guys could be on the diesel bandwagon as the size of the US market it would help develop more products for us to use elsewhere in the world.

keezer36

Adventurer
I honestly do not understand the issue with these new diesels and the US?

The new diesels are way more efficient and cleaner than almost all petrol engined vehicles so I cant see how they can be such an emmissions issue.

The new generation Prado diesel for example gets 8.5 litres per 100 km.....thats 28 miles per gallon for a vehicles that is huge!!!!

Honestly, I seriously think you yanks are behind the 8-ball when it comes to diesel technology...I wish you guys could be on the diesel bandwagon as the size of the US market it would help develop more products for us to use elsewhere in the world.

It's not like we even have the infrastructure. On the interstates fine but in the more densely populated areas, it's hit or miss finding diesel and adding it would probably require digging in new tanks. This may play a part in it and there is public perception. I mentioned diesel to my brother and the first comment from him was "Aren't they difficult to start in the winter." I would say 90% of "us yanks" are completely unfamiliar with it or hold to the stigma of the 70's era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal